1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Anime/Manga (recommend me some?)

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Lel, Jun 23, 2009.

1. daft

daft Senior member

Just watched Howl's Moving Castle which was my first Miyazaki film and I gotta say it was beautiful. I had no idea what the hell was going on and the plot was kinda confusing to me but nonetheless amazing. The music was fantastic and you can't keep your eyes away. What Miyazaki film should I watch next?

2. killua

killua Well-Known Member

Just watched Howl's Moving Castle which was my first Miyazaki film and I gotta say it was beautiful. I had no idea what the hell was going on and the plot was kinda confusing to me but nonetheless amazing. The music was fantastic and you can't keep your eyes away. What Miyazaki film should I watch next?

Spirited Away, then Princess Mononoke (my fav by Miyazaki) if you are looking for something similar in visuals and story telling. Porko Rosso if you want more a more light-hearted and entertaining film (with older animation).
    Provided you like those, move to other early work such as Nausicaa, or Grave of the Fireflies (Studio Ghibli but not by Miyazaki; very very depressing).

No probs. Just started watching it so I can let you know how it is soon.

3. thats.mana

thats.mana Senior member

The Girl who Leapt through Time

Anywhere to catch this online?

For the folks interested in the new Fullmetal series go here for the episodes:
    http://www4.funimation.com/video/?page=show&b=280
    Funimation has them on their site for free.

I just started reading this:
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/onani_master_kurosawa/
    I haven't gotten to far but it's really funny. Typical highschool setting with a dissaffected protagonist, that masterbates to the hot girls in class. Who can't relate.

4. ChampdeMars

ChampdeMars Member

Ookiku Furikabutte: Never in my life have i ever watched a whole game of baseball, nor had i planned to. This will string one game over the course of many episodes. I could not stop watching.

Code Geass
    Nodame Cantible
    Mobile Suit Gundam 00

For some 90's anime:
    Blue Seed
    Ninja Scroll
    Patlabor
    Tenchi Muyo

5. tacitvs

tacitvs Senior member

Anywhere to catch this online?
    It looks like someone put it up in sections on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/sutanime#play/uploads Also, I started watching Baccano based on the recommendation from killua. Thanks again! Its one of those that has kept me up watching non-stop. Pretty freaky at parts , then ridiculously funny. Good stuff.

6. MonkeyFresh

MonkeyFresh Senior member

Agreed with all those who reccomend Hiyao Miyazaki's works, they are all epic [​IMG]
    My neighbor Totoro (Personal fave from my childhood [​IMG] )
    Kiki's Delivery Service is great too, just finished it the other day, feel good movie [​IMG]
    Ofcourse Laputa's Castle... Mononoke... and Nausicaa are all EPIC

Also look into "Fate Stay Night"... I have the Translated Visual novel, supposedly its the best visual novel ever made (By Typemoon)
    Amazing story, with 3 different endings, that depend on your choices in the storyline, and each ending has its own variations as well
    very addicting game, it takes atleast a week to finish one storyline, I have yet to finish the last one but Ill work on it soon enough
    The anime isn't as good but its def fun to watch, It mixes up aspects of each different story from the visual novel

7. Etienne

Etienne Senior member

For me, best manga ever is very easily Takehiko Innoue's Vagabond.
    I would beg to differ.

Nananine already recommended Osamu Tezuka. Another favorite artist of mine, heads and shoulders above most, is Jiro Taniguchi. I cannot believe nobody mentioned him yet. My favourite is probably Haruka na Machi e.

アルプスの少女はハイジー Alps no Shojo Heidi - geared more towards kids. A story of a young girl living with her grandfather in the Swiss alps (wow, what a boring description, but it is another famous and good classic).
    There is a TV show based on that manga that was very popular in Europe when I was a kid.

No mention of giants like Miyazaki (not mentioned at that point of the thread) or Taniguchi and you cannot of anymore good ones? Shame on you [​IMG]

Hiroki Endo Yoshihiro Tatsumi
    I'll look these up, thanks for the rec.

8. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

I would beg to differ.

Nananine already recommended Osamu Tezuka. Another favorite artist of mine, heads and shoulders above most, is Jiro Taniguchi. I cannot believe nobody mentioned him yet. My favourite is probably Haruka na Machi e.

There is a TV show based on that manga that was very popular in Europe when I was a kid.

No mention of giants like Miyazaki (not mentioned at that point of the thread) or Taniguchi and you cannot of anymore good ones? Shame on you [​IMG]

This one is quite good, more of a novel in graphic form though...

9. Bravo

Bravo Active Member

Anime : Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (天元突破グレンラガン) [​IMG] Same anime team who made EVA Manga: Gantz (ガンツ Gantsu) [​IMG] Blood, gore, naked girls, sifi

10. Lel

Lel Senior member

I would beg to differ.

Yeah, I assumed all the well known, classic giants were a given. But what I find interesting is the general decline of story telling quality in a lot of otherwise promising series as anime/manga becomes more mainstream.

11. thats.mana

thats.mana Senior member

12. Nananine

Nananine Senior member

Anime :
    Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (天元突破グレンラガン)
    [​IMG]
    Same anime team who made EVA

I haven't finished Gurren Lagann, but it's a very entertaining series with pretty weighty, epic themes.

Lately I've been on a slice of life manga kick. Unfortunately, those series are never released in English (except on fan-translated sites shhh)

13. Lel

Lel Senior member

I haven't finished Gurren Lagann, but it's a very entertaining series with pretty weighty, epic themes.

Lately I've been on a slice of life manga kick. Unfortunately, those series are never released in English (except on fan-translated sites shhh)

An interesting thing I learned about the funsubbing community, and at least a good portion of the people who read them/work for them, is that they are *very* supportive of the industry.

People with hobbies are crazy, would hear about how some collections would run users into the thousands of dollars worth (I'm talking mostly bought in the U.S).

14. Nananine

Nananine Senior member

They are, save for bitching about individual companies (Tokyopop is a common target). But some great manga out there will never ever be released in America so it's all kosher to me. For example, leisurely-paced slice of life Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou or sarcastic dystopian parody Freesia. Even though the former had an anime series and the latter had a major motion picture release.

15. sipang

sipang Senior member

Anime
    Cowboy bebop
    Samurai Champloo

pretty much all the Miyazaki

Manga
    Dragon Head , the movie adaptation was quite good despite some cheesy acting, I've yet to see a better post-apocalyptic flick
    [​IMG]

Phoenix, epic Tezuka's last serie
    [​IMG]

The Drifting classroom, 70s manga, quite disturbing actually, didn't finish it as it's getting repetitve after a while but interesting nonetheless
    [​IMG]

Tekkon kinkreet, didn't read it yet but someone recommended it to me
    [​IMG]

16. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

Hana Yori Dango
    This was turned into a Korean drama which is super popular. I've never read or had much of an interest in it as I don't really read graphic novels. I just like this particular one because the name is a word play on a Japanese proverb. Maison Ikkoku is another one I'm familiar with bet never read (nor watched the animation).

17. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

A cat is fine too.

18. Nananine

Nananine Senior member

This was turned into a Korean drama which is super popular. I've never read or had much of an interest in it as I don't really read graphic novels.

I just like this particular one because the name is a word play on a Japanese proverb.

Maison Ikkoku is another one I'm familiar with bet never read (nor watched the animation).

As well-regarded Rumiko Takahashi is, all of her stuff boils down to: Hapless guy stuck in potential romantic situation, then hijinks ensue as situation gets misinterpreted over and over again. Repeat for 50 goddamn volumes. She's a total hack. Maison Ikkoku, Ranma 1/2, One Pound Gospel... pretty much the same shit. Them kids loved Inu Yasha. I'm not going to bother.

Naoki Yamamoto did a mature take on the Takahashi formula called Dance 'Till Tomorrow that was released by Viz internationally. It's far better, mostly because Yamamoto is a solid storyteller.

A cat is fine too.

[​IMG]

19. deliciosrster

deliciosrster Senior member

you are number one in my rape list Nananine

20. gamblor

gamblor Senior member

Any more Slice of Life recommendations?

My favourites so far:

-Full Metal Panic Fummoffu, plus the non mecha episodes sifted into the regular series
    -Welcome to the NHK
    -Nana
    -Golden Boy