• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anime/Manga (recommend me some?)

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me, best manga ever is very easily Takehiko Innoue's Vagabond. As long as you don't have some kind of dislike for samurai or violence, I can almost guarantee you that you will love Vagabond. Amazing artwork, compelling story, partly historical, a lot of great philosophy and spiritualism, good pacing...just a wonderful comic. WARNING: After reading the first half of Vagabond, fight scenes in other manga will just seem lame and sterile in comparison. Also, Innoue has released gorgeous black and white and full color art books with scenes from the series. It is magnificent.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kronik
I'm not read much manga (besides Berserk) so can't offer much there.
You not read much Engrish either apparently.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Conne. Your mother doesn't care how literate I am.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
巨人の星 Kyojin no Hoshi (Star of the Giants?) - very old/classic baseball manga. Former Giants player trains his young son to become the star of the Giants. Towards the end, he pitches against major league as well. It might be interesting for you to see how life in Japan was after the war.

エフ F - I like auto racing, so this was fun to watch as a kid. A young kid is a genius street driver and his best friend is a mechanic guru. They have no money or experience, but together they try to make it to Formula 1.

ベルサイユのバラ - somewhat a girly manga, but a famous classic. Story during the time of Marie Antoinette in France, centered around a general that worked under the queen.

ガンダム Gundam - no mention of it yet, so have to put in the recommendation. One of the most famous classic for SF/robot type mangas.

アルプスの少女はハイジー Alps no Shojo Heidi - geared more towards kids. A story of a young girl living with her grandfather in the Swiss alps (wow, what a boring description, but it is another famous and good classic).

Can`t think of anymore good ones that haven`t been mentioned already.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Holy ****, I'm glad I don't read the boards frequently anymore.... What in the blue hell?

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two pages and not one reference to Fist of the North Star. I ended up buying the bootleg (poorly translated) series. Wow. I loved it.

TKDKid

Reaction score
Manga

Currently reading/collecting the following series:

One Piece (pirates; the only one of the big three shounen series that I follow, and strangely enough the least popular in the West)
Kekkaishi (demon-hunting)
Yakitate!! Japan (breadmaking)
Hayate the Combat Butler (romantic comedy)
Yotsuba&! (slice of life comedy)

Series that I own and would recommend:

Rurouni Kenshin (samurai)
Death Note (psychological cat and mouse game)
Iron Wok Jan (Chinese cooking)
Maison Ikkoku (romantic comedy)

Anime

Just finished watching Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid, which was great. You should watch the original anime first, but you can skip Fumoffu if you're not bothered about the high school comedy side of the story.

Recently started collecting Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, sort of Gainax's answer to everyone copying NGE.

Hayate the Combat Butler season 2 is showing on Crunchyroll and follows the manga much more closely than season 1.

Kekkaishi and Yakitate!! Japan haven't been licenced, but fansubs are available online.

Think that should keep you busy for a while...

Pangolin

Reaction score
I haven't read anything in a long time, but my favorite has always been Dragon Head. Matsumoto Taiyo also made great books, though I don't know if they have been translated in English.
As for anime, I enjoyed Paranoia Agent and Colorful.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dedalus
I've been watching episodes of Galaxy Express 999 on crunchyroll (free streaming). The creator of 999 was also responsible for Interstella 5555, in case you're a Daft Punk fan. It's very melancholy and very good.

I hear Deathnote is good. I've only seen a couple episodes, but they were enjoyable. Other than that, I've liked NGE, FLCL, Ghost in the Shell, and Samurai Champloo.

I'm pretty familiar with the Galaxy Express 999/Interstella 5555 without actually having seen it myself. I haven't seen many of the older series, but perhaps I should, they always seem to have a certain level of quality that many of the, IMO, 90's and early 00's lacked (traded off for easy, cliche mainstream appeal).

Originally Posted by robertorex
surely you've heard of onemanga.com right? It has full runs of some very good manga.

My two favorite series on there are actually manhwas (Korean mangas): Veritas and Shin Angyo Onshi. I know you said you didn't like shonens, but Veritas happens to be a really good one, complex story with a lot of content. Shin Angyo Onshi is probably one of my favorite reads of all time, dark and mature without becoming too self-important.

Other nice reads:

Full Metal Alchemist
Great Teacher Onizuka
Claymore

I just (re)discovered onemanga and finally finished Shin Angyo Onshi. Last time I checked (a while ago...) it was stalled on the last volume. FMA was great, but I never finished it. I really got into it before it got big, perhaps I should get back into the manga again (not sure if it's finished or not?).

Need to watch GTO, I'm ashamed to say I haven't already,

Originally Posted by Philip1978
Classics: tri-gun and cowboy bebop.

Agreed. Cowboy Bebop, IMO, was a little ruined for me because of the hype, I wish I had seen it without hearing anything about it first.

Originally Posted by BubblyMasquerade
Akira and Hellsing.

The movie was ok, I guess once again the hype made my expectations to high. Have you read the Hellsing manga? I watched a little bit of the new Hellsing Ultimate DVDs and they stay closer to the actual manga storyline and the little bit I've seen so far is awesome, worth checking out if your a fan of the first anime series.

Originally Posted by AndrewRyanWallace
Chevalier D'Eon. Best anime in a long time.

Have to rep Samurai Champloo also as that ****'s mah jam.

Must check out Chevalier D'Eon then...

Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
Bleach was good but I stopped watching after around episode 70 or so...that was like 3 years ago...god. Tri-Gun was my favorite anime. Bebop and Samurai Champloo are fantastic recommendations. Slam Dunk (basketball) is an oldie but a goodie as well.

Berserk was my absolute favorite manga and the only one I'll continue to read as the Chapters come out excruciatingly slow.

Honestly I haven't really kept up with anything after Bleach...no time and I've pretty much lost interest.

Originally Posted by robertorex
bleach went downhill really fast after the first arc. I've been reading it out of habit but I can't remember when it was last good.

Bleach, IMO, went downhill when they entered the Soul Society Arc. I thought it had a lot of potential and the manga writer's earlier work (Zombie Powder) was a fun read that never went anywhere, ended prematurely. Perhaps it's for the better because right now, Bleach is a prime example of everything I dislike about current mainstream shounen series.

Originally Posted by kronik
My favorite of all time has already been mentioned: Berserk.

Elfen Lied
Basilisk
Wolf's Rain

I've not read much manga (besides Berserk) so can't offer much there.

Elfen Lied was great, first episode blew me away. It went slightly downhill from there, but thankfully ended too short before it could get too drawn out. What bugs me about these "mature & gory" is the lack of relatable/likeable characters (especially on the male side). The manga however might be good, and I know it extends beyond the scope of the anime.

Basilisk was great, I need to get back into the anime. Good, old fashioned gory style ninja fighting ala Ninja Scroll but with awesome animation.

Wolf's Rain... I thought it was too slow and I couldn't get into it. I suppose it's because I kept thinking it had great potential and the pacing was a bit slow and I eventually lost interest. I should give it another try.

Originally Posted by AndrewRyanWallace
For me, best manga ever is very easily Takehiko Innoue's Vagabond. As long as you don't have some kind of dislike for samurai or violence, I can almost guarantee you that you will love Vagabond. Amazing artwork, compelling story, partly historical, a lot of great philosophy and spiritualism, good pacing...just a wonderful comic. WARNING: After reading the first half of Vagabond, fight scenes in other manga will just seem lame and sterile in comparison. Also, Innoue has released gorgeous black and white and full color art books with scenes from the series. It is magnificent.

Vagabond is GREAT. I don't know whether or not if it's finished but I think the reason I stopped because I had caught up. Not sure though. Pacing is slow but the storytelling is great, and yes the action scenes rock. I enjoyed it a bit. Blade of the Immortal, IMO, is a bit similar except not quite as good. Worth looking into.

Originally Posted by TKDKid
Manga

Currently reading/collecting the following series:

One Piece (pirates; the only one of the big three shounen series that I follow, and strangely enough the least popular in the West)
Kekkaishi (demon-hunting)
Yakitate!! Japan (breadmaking)
Hayate the Combat Butler (romantic comedy)
Yotsuba&! (slice of life comedy)

Series that I own and would recommend:

Rurouni Kenshin (samurai)
Death Note (psychological cat and mouse game)
Iron Wok Jan (Chinese cooking)
Maison Ikkoku (romantic comedy)

Anime

Just finished watching Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid, which was great. You should watch the original anime first, but you can skip Fumoffu if you're not bothered about the high school comedy side of the story.

Recently started collecting Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, sort of Gainax's answer to everyone copying NGE.

Hayate the Combat Butler season 2 is showing on Crunchyroll and follows the manga much more closely than season 1.

Kekkaishi and Yakitate!! Japan haven't been licenced, but fansubs are available online.

Think that should keep you busy for a while...

Yakitake! Japan was fun to read, real fun, but after a while the appeal wore off to me (how many bread making contests can there be!?!?). I should still pick it up again, if it's finished.

Rurouni Kenshin was the first "real" anime I started to watch (err, back when I realized it was anime) and it was great.

Death Note was pretty good too, but I caught up with the series and got too bored waiting around. Must finish.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann was GREAT, even though I only saw the first few episodes. Must finish series, it encompasses everything I like about Gainax (especially since it does and doesn't take itself seriously at the same time).

FMP was great, both TSR, the original, and yes, even Fumoffu (which funnily enough, was the first series I watched). Either more series needs to keep coming out or I want a real storyline arc and closure, but that's just me.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
I'm pretty familiar with the Galaxy Express 999/Interstella 5555 without actually having seen it myself. I haven't seen many of the older series, but perhaps I should, they always seem to have a certain level of quality that many of the, IMO, 90's and early 00's lacked (traded off for easy, cliche mainstream appeal).

The subject matter just happens to be right up my alley of current interests. The trans/posthuman world, the strange existential questions, the melancholy, the omnipresence of death.

PolePosition

Reaction score
Rurouni Kenshin
Samurai Champloo
Record of Lodoss War
Code Geass
Initial D

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm sounds like I should get on Vagabond. Takehiko Inoue may have been the first mangaka to influence my life - the tagalog-dubbed Slam Dunk anime was the first TV program I followed religiously growing up.

add Vinland Saga to the list of really good manga that take forever to update. New chapter came out today, first in a LONG time.

edit: read the new chapter. WTF?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads