• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Animal Ethics in Clothing and Style: Do you have standards?

KingJulien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The article you linked says:
So you mean to tell me that the python gets whacked on the skull by a giant machete....then has it's head "impaled on a meat hook"....then continues to live on for 2 days? This sounds like bullshit to me.

The article also explains this... the snake has a very small brain (thus it's unlikely to be punctured) and due to their slow metabolism, can survive a lot longer and with lower blood pressure than a human.

Nosu3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

python, boa and kangaroo are the "popular" leathers that are banned here: you can't import them here for commercial purposes. .

What are the reasons for banning kangaroo? I don't know much about kangaroo leather, but I think kangaroos are to Australia what deer is to the US. They sometimes kill off large amounts for population reduction, which should be an opportunity for meat and leather use so it's not wasted.

Last edited:

KingJulien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are the reasons for banning kangaroo? I don't know much about kangaroo leather, but I think kangaroos are to Australia what deer is to the US. They sometimes kill off large amounts, which would be an opportunity for meat and leather use so it's not wasted.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=12234107

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/25/us/25kangaroo.html

Not the best sources but looks like it was the law was passed in the '70s due to the species being endangered, which it no longer is.

Quote:
I guess this is the current argument.

Del-Toro

Reaction score
The article you linked says:
So you mean to tell me that the python gets whacked on the skull by a giant machete....then has it's head "impaled on a meat hook"....then continues to live on for 2 days? This sounds like bullshit to me. Aside from maybe chopping off its head or some sort of fancy lethal injection, I don't see how you could kill a snake in a more "humane" way.
No BS at all, snakes a really strange. Rattlesnakes, for example, can still bite after decapitation. They are totally different creatures and can live a long time. The most humane way, at least that I can think of, is to swiftly crush the head if some sort of anaesthetics are not an option. Thumbing, hooking, filling with water, skinning, and thrown in a bin left for dead is ******* ridiculous by anyones standards. There is something seriously wrong with you if you choose to support this type of killing.

Those boots, HIDEOUS! I honestly don't see the appeal.

Last edited:

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
I have a jacket made of lamb leather, anaconda skin and mink fur, so I'm not even sure I'm allowed to have an opinion here. Of course I don't want or intend to purchase things where animals been treated horribly, skinned alive and left to die, but there's no way to know for sure, short of watching it happen yourself.

sq4you

Mid-level baller
Reaction score
I think whoever who owns this should win the award.

rick16.jpg

Del-Toro

Reaction score
I think snakeskin is prized in East Asian/Chinese markets and Lanvin produces with that market in mind. Most snakeskin is producted in Thailand and China.
Snake skin iss such an ugly material to use for clothing, especially for shoes and belts I just don't see the appeal. It has a Jersey trashy ho feel to it, that and Leopard print crap.

Last edited:

Swiss

Reaction score
Snake skin iss such an ugly material to use for clothing, especially for shoes and belts I just don't see the appeal. It has a Jersey trashy ho feel to it, that and Leopard print crap.

What about these? I've never liked snake skin anything, but I really like the leather which was used for these shoes and it's also not as obvious as with shiny leather.. It's python btw.

Del-Toro

Reaction score
That looks like a python mix of some sort. I don't like that shoe and the material isn't anything special to me.

Swiss

Reaction score
I'm going to burn these right now then.

KingJulien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oh, those are yours? Sorry, I thought it was some random pic from the internet I didn't intend to be quite that mean
confused.gif
I really hate boat shoes in general tbh.

Swiss

Reaction score
Oh don't apologize. I appreciate honesty. Yeah they're mine and I bought them mostly because of the price and because they're lanvin. I've grown to hate boat shoes as well and I've never worn these, but maybe it'll look good with something

Del-Toro

Reaction score

Just give to friend, other, g/f dad or whatever. I just sent a bunch of stuff I never use to my brother, although nothing quite that bad! :))

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads