• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RickyTakhar

Reaction score
My closet is both Drakes and Anglo- Italian OCBDs, with a few Mercers still hanging on. I take the same size (16) in all.

In a nutshell, I think Drake's are a well-executed basic, and a good and unassuming "canvas" for their interesting ties, scarves, squares, etc...

AI's OCBD are much more stylish, and walk right up to, but do not cross over, the dramatic-flourish line.

Drake's shirts feel like toys to me, not sure how else to say it. Not meant in a pejorative way, I believe this is their intended aesthetic coming through...

Relative to Drake's, the AI OCBD is fuller all around (longer sleeves, overall length, chest width). Drakes MOP buttons are variegated, thin, and wide. AI buttons are MOP (I think), small, uniformly white, and thick.

Drake's collar is pretty good, lined with floating interlining. So is the placket. I prefer a Drake's if I am just wearing a shirt and trousers, in the summer, say. Although the button stance does not lend itself to having 2 (plus the collar) undone, I don't think. Their regular fit (in 16) fits me in a nice, slim way. I am 6'2", 175#.

AI OCBD collar is dramatic, in a good way, and it begs to be worn with 2 buttons undone. Fused interlining, as most Italians tend to do. Placket, though, has no interlining at all and I Love this.

I will add that I am a huge fan of the AI "ice blue" color. I find AI to be more formal than Drake's in general, but please understand that I am talking about 1 OCBD relative to another. AI also uses finer yarns.

I like them both, for different reasons. Generally prefer AI, though.
Thanks for the insight! How do you find the fit between the two? Seems like AI is fuller in the waist?

Also the cloth, I do have a drakes OCBD. How do you rate the cloth of AI to the sturdier more traditional Mercer?

Thanks

Last edited:

BenMN

Reaction score
Yes, AI is fuller in the waist and chest, and the arms are longer. Relative to Drake's.

Mercer uses a cloth they actually bill as "bulletproof." It is pretty rugged, but softens magnificently over time. In my experience, though, by the time they are ridiculously soft they are basically worn out. They are wonderful new, of course, if the sturdiest oxford out there is what you are looking for.

I find myself unimpressed by Drake's cloth. It's ok, but doesn't soften much and shrinks quite a bit.

AI cloth is the finest of the three. It's still plenty sturdy, and starts out soft and gets even better. My oldest AI oxford, about a year old, has been subjected to a few searing hot washes (to get a stain out), and is no worse for wear.

Out of the three, I strongly prefer the AI cloth.

Glad to be of some help to you!

sid11111

Reaction score
@Viral you say all this as if I didn't mention nearly every one of these fit deficiencies in my review. I'm not trying to defend the under performance at all and I've openly admitted I might not commission anything else because of the issues. I did expect more for the time and the money involved. Frankly, I'd like them to take the suit back for a second round of alterations, but I'm not optimistic on that happening. My review is more honest than almost any you'll find elsewhere.

On quality, the suit is full canvas, includes a good deal of hand work in the jacket, and is very light. For comparison, I don't think RTW RJ includes handwork, but I could be wrong. More broadly, the comparison to The Armoury isn't quite fair either since The Armoury sells other companies' products and doesn't make their own line like AI. The line about never a single ill-fitted garment at The Armoury is obvious hyperbole. Not only is it by rules of probability almost certainly false, you wouldn't even know because they're not posting 360-degree diagnostic fit pics to the journal or to Instagram.

Your comment about OTR J Crew suits looking better than this is BS and you know it. Moreover, it such an obviously false and inflammatory comment that it does't even succeed in being hurtful, only in making you look like an idiot.

As for being shy about criticism, I'm not. I'm often my own harshest critic, but I also happen to enjoy being able to sound my thoughts off others who know about tailoring and my concerns have largely been confirmed in doing so.

And this gem is particularly brash for someone who hasn't posted a single fit pic in over a decade of being a member of SF.

@arakeinprogress you say all of this as if Viral didn't set out to be a tool in his post. I'm not trying to defend an asshole but you've got to admit it's hard to fault him for being exceedingly successful at what he set out to achieve.

mg92

Reaction score
24rq3RG.jpg

Wearing the Studridges today.

CasuallyWorked

Reaction score
Anybody have input on their polos just ordered a navy and charcoal color

CasuallyWorked

Reaction score
So just received a size Small polo in both charcoal and Navy. Mini review

PROS
- packaging came fast in about 4 days from London to LA
- they have a high collar height, so that’s unique
- fabric is really soft and fit is great
- made in Italy

CONS
- lack of mother of pearl buttons for a £145 shirt is a real let down
- poor stitching, lots of loose threads on both shirts
- collar is slightly tight, but I probably have a thicker neck than a small but a medium would definitely ruin overall fit so sticking with small

Last edited:

ezev

Reaction score
I own 2 of their polos, L and XL. The L shrunk in length and around the neck considerably so I ended up sizing up to an XL, worked much better after a wash. Didn’t have any issues with loose threads though.

solaro23

Reaction score
No pearl buttons at that price is taking the proverbial. Some of their pricing is crazy but clearly there is a market for cheap Loro/Barbour hybrids.

sid11111

Reaction score
No pearl buttons at that price is taking the proverbial. Some of their pricing is crazy but clearly there is a market for cheap Loro/Barbour hybrids.
Man even the latest uniqlo u polos had supima cotton and shell buttons.

CasuallyWorked

Reaction score

Man even the latest uniqlo u polos had supima cotton and shell buttons.

Yeah, they are nice shirts but I did feel let down with the stitching and no mother of pearl buttons considering what I paid. Natalino at £70 has mother of pearl buttons, but they are made in portugal vs italy so there is that. I ordered a navy spread from the armoury to see if I like that one better and if so returning these anglo-italian ones

Last edited:

coldbrew

Reaction score
So just received a size Small polo in both charcoal and Navy. Mini review

PROS
- packaging came fast in about 4 days from London to LA
- they have a high collar height, so that’s unique
- fabric is really soft and fit is great
- made in Italy

CONS
- lack of mother of pearl buttons for a £145 shirt is a real let down
- poor stitching, lots of loose threads on both shirts
- collar is slightly tight, but I probably have a thicker neck than a small but a medium would definitely ruin overall fit so sticking with small
How do you compare them to the Luca Avitabile Polos?

solaro23

Reaction score
How do you compare them to the Luca Avitabile Polos?

They are very similar in terms of fabric and style. Probably made by LA lab as well but with plastic buttons. I doubt that Fralbo (their shirting manufacturer) makes them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics