• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Angled or Straight Hemline on Plain Front Pants with a Slight Break and No Cuff?

Berob

Reaction score
Recently I have purchased a couple of pair of plain front wool trousers that I ended up taking to two different tailors to have hemmed. In both cases I asked for just a slight break with no cuff, and in both cases the tailor told me I should angle the hemline so that the back (towards the heel of the shoe) is slightly longer. It seems to me that on pants with virtually no break the hemline is straight, which makes sense, but I'm wondering what the thoughts are on the advice I received from these two tailors, and also whether a slight break is "acceptable" in this case. Thank you.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
keep 'em straight........

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Recently I have purchased a couple of pair of plain front wool trousers that I ended up taking to two different tailors to have hemmed. In both cases I asked for just a slight break with no cuff, and in both cases the tailor told me I should angle the hemline so that the back (towards the heel of the shoe) is slightly longer. It seems to me that on pants with virtually no break the hemline is straight, which makes sense, but I'm wondering what the thoughts are on the advice I received from these two tailors, and also whether a slight break is "acceptable" in this case. Thank you.

angle it.

If you have essentially no break, the trouser will just float over the shoe and may look a bit odd.

Angling the hemline allows the trouser to sit cleanly over the shoe while not breaking much in the front.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a good tailor will angle the hem ever so slightly as a standard practice...........is you can tell teh hem is angled then find a new tailor!

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guardsman slant. I always ask for this. I never get enough...

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you have a slight break in the front with no angle, then you are most likely completely exposing your socks in the back. Get them angled.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Angle, especially if you have a booty, a badonk-a-donk if you will.

Punjabjat

Reaction score
Angle definitely, I can't tell you how many tailors I've run across that don't understand that concept...good for you for finding one.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.