Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Android phone recommendations/discussion?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by ysb, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Do you two use your phones exactly the same way?

2. dcg

dcg Senior member

Of course not, but is there really an argument to be made that the two are anywhere close in battery life?

3. Mauby

Mauby Senior member

... if 2.2 you don't need task killers
    interesting. Maybe I'll dump mine.
    ...My buddy hasn't charged his iPhone since two nights ago and is at 59%.
    That's not really the norm. Most people i know with iPhones are always complaining about battery life. The only smartphones that seem to have decent battery life are Blackberrys. But their screens are usually half the size of iPhones/iClones/Androids

4. yjeezle

yjeezle Senior member

your buddy could just not be using his phone as heavily as you. i charge my phone maybe once every 2 days (droid). I use it for e-mail, phone calls, and texting now.

5. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Also, if you use vibrate for a ringer or alerts it kills battery life more.

6. dcg

dcg Senior member

^Good point, but I hate using a ringer. I should turn off haptic feedback; have it at the lowest setting.

7. dcg

dcg Senior member

Just swapped my epic for the second time...old one was freezing, got errors downloading info from facebook (and when it did download it wasn't up to date), wouldn't let me download email attachments (kept saying I needed to mount an SD card when there's already one mounted), wouldn't download apps half the time.

Anyway, the new one won't d/l a thing from the market. If on 3G it just hangs and never starts. If on wifi I get a download unsuccessful error. Also, gtalk (not that I have any desire to use it) only works with wifi, not 3G. This is getting annoying.

8. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

I'm not sure why anyone in their right mind would ever buy a Samsung phone. Historically, Samsung makes shit phones.

That being said, sorry your phone sucks.

9. dcg

dcg Senior member

The physical keyboard was a big selling point, but with swype I find I rarely use it. AMOLED screen is nice as well. Still, may have to switch to Evo.

10. otc

otc Senior member

Are there supposed to be more small form factor android phones coming?

The x10 mini and mini pro are interesting but they are trapped on android 1.6 and the non-pro version is stuck with a predictive input option (though maybe it can run swype).

I have no need for my phone to be huge...I just want it to run android for the perfect sync with google, good email and browsing.

It seems that the android phones are getting huge (even the iphones which are staying about the same size are pushing what I would want to put in my pocket) so that people can have an awesome screen to game and watch videos on. While I may watch the occasional video or play the occasional game, most things I want don't need some 4" screen.

11. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

Are there supposed to be more small form factor android phones coming?

The x10 mini and mini pro are interesting but they are trapped on android 1.6 and the non-pro version is stuck with a predictive input option (though maybe it can run swype).

I have no need for my phone to be huge...I just want it to run android for the perfect sync with google, good email and browsing.

It seems that the android phones are getting huge (even the iphones which are staying about the same size are pushing what I would want to put in my pocket) so that people can have an awesome screen to game and watch videos on. While I may watch the occasional video or play the occasional game, most things I want don't need some 4" screen.

I find the Incredible to pretty much be the perfect size phone for me.

12. dcg

dcg Senior member

My problem seems to have worked itself out, at least for the time being. I just downloaded a bunch of apps with no issues.

13. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Are there supposed to be more small form factor android phones coming? The x10 mini and mini pro are interesting but they are trapped on android 1.6 and the non-pro version is stuck with a predictive input option (though maybe it can run swype). I have no need for my phone to be huge...I just want it to run android for the perfect sync with google, good email and browsing. It seems that the android phones are getting huge (even the iphones which are staying about the same size are pushing what I would want to put in my pocket) so that people can have an awesome screen to game and watch videos on. While I may watch the occasional video or play the occasional game, most things I want don't need some 4" screen.
    I doubt anything in the "power user" class will be smaller than 3.7". I can't believe that the EVO and EPIC are already down to $100. By Xmas they'll be free.

14. otc

otc Senior member

I doubt anything in the "power user" class will be smaller than 3.7". I can't believe that the EVO and EPIC are already down to $100. By Xmas they'll be free.
    Yeah, but I don't really need anything in the "power user" class which has mostly turned into the class where they try to cram the most screen, fastest processor, best speakers (seriously wtf is with that win7 phone). I'd love just like an android-lite phone...my current phone runs S60 but doesn't have the hardware (smaller screen, no real keyboard, etc) to really take advantage of it but unfortunately S60 kind of sucks. If I could have a similar deal (though either a real keyboard or touchscreen might be nice) that could run android, it would be awesome. Basically I just want to be able to sync with google and have google voice integrated into my phone. The other apps and stuff would just be a bonus over what my current phone can do...also I am on AT&T and not planning to change (though would be willing to buy a euro android phone if the frequencies were right)

15. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

T&T has one of the worst Android lineups available. There really isn't a worthwhile option on the low end with them. Its basically the Captivate or bust. Frankly, I'd rather go bust.