• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Android phone recommendations/discussion?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
just got g2, will report back

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
att is **** and i have cheap t-mobile corp. account. my wife cannot make a 5 min call with iphone and i prefer the option of a real keyboard. got it at radio shack. form factor is excellent and it's uber fast

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
att is **** and i have cheap t-mobile corp. account. my wife cannot make a 5 min call with iphone and i prefer the option of a real keyboard. got it at radio shack. form factor is excellent and it's uber fast
Keyboards for lyfe. Goddamit when my Desire Z arrive. Cry.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got Epic on Monday; was at a conference all week so have not had a ton of time to play with it. Initial impressions:

-Freaking big, but not uncomfortable in the pocket
-Much more slippery than the rubberized coating on my Touch - I am afraid I will drop it at some point (though to the above point, this makes it easier to get in and out of a pocket)
-Sprint managed to upgrade me to SERO Premium w/o screwing anything up; even transferred my pick 3 (unlimited calls to any 3 numbers of my choosing; wasn't sure if they'd let me keep this perk)
-Battery is not so great so far, but I haven't messed around with settings yet
-Swype is great. Keyboard is nice, especially if you have to send emails while riding in a car/on the train. Dedicated number row ftw
-AMOLED Screen is awesome (though I am comparing to a 3 year old 320x240 LCD), but I have a freaking stuck/dead pixel so I am gonna go swap it out

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More impressions:

-Did the swap yesterday at the Sprint store; took a while but no issues. Actually I got to keep my original charger, so now I have two (which I suspect may come in handy if battery life doesn't improve)
-Integration with gmail is cool, though I now have pretty much everyone I've ever emailed in my contact list. Synced my WinMo phone w/ Outlook and exported a .csv that I uploaded to gmail contacts, so I just have to go into that group to get my "real" contacts. One issue - I have about 5 or 6 email accounts linked to my gmail, and I don't see a way to choose which I send from in the gmail app
-4G service seems spotty at best (and I'm a couple of blocks from city hall in Philly)
-I was trying to take a picture the other day and it wouldn't let me open the camera because the battery was too low...annoying. Just let me try to take the damn picture and if it dies, it dies
-I miss having a d-pad
-Speed seems very good...boot up time faster than expected. Haven't noticed much in the way of slowdown
-Again, swype is very, very cool

Any recommendations for must-have android apps?

sleekblackroadster

Reaction score
i took the battery cover off of my epic a few times and now the thin plastic 'soft touch' coating is starting to peel off around the bottom where you have to pry the cover.

my htc hero was in flawless condition after almost a year of use. i think htc really has superior hardware materials and fit and finish. after looking at the rear cover of the new g2 with nice aluminum i really wish i could have waited for the next flagship htc device for sprint. i do like enough things about the epic to have picked it over an evo tho.

4g has been phenomenal in downtown houston.

and yeah dcg i really really hate the built in low batt power save features. it shuts down most functions of the phone which should really be left to the user to decide. i need to search for a way to shut this off.

i'm getting a bit upset about no updates even on the froyo build progress.. no more touchwiz and sense and blur and whatever! don't these companies realize some of this stuff isn't worth it? it seems like enough users have been vocal about this by now.. and the mobile space has been relatively quick in responding to other areas of concern. we want our android updates. seriously.

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
wow that was a bad idea to post that

kruze

Reaction score
I just got the brand new htc hero from sprint. Using it with my sero plan. It's an awesome phone. Love android. This is coming from a winmo phone [htc diamond] and I absolutely hated both the phone [had resistive touch that I cant stand] and winmo [an operating system that is seriously the worst **** Ive ever used]. F winmo and any version of it. Ive had so much hate for my phone after a full month of using it. So for me, it was a night and day change going from that to a capacitive screen and android. Ive used the iphone briefly, still love the touch on those because its so responsive. But other than that, android and iphone OS offer similar functions.

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
got a new evo after I dropped mine last night

rerooting and gonna flash my backups right now

Mauby

Reaction score
Just got the G2 (to replace my G1.) So far, I'd say it's an awesome little Android phone. It runs an almost-stock Android 2.2 Froyo. The OS is faaaast as there is no HTC Sense, Motoblur, TouchWiz, or any other skin to slow it down. The physical keyboard, for those who still like them, is pretty sweet although I do miss a dedicated row for numbers like the G1 had. For a phone, it's got some weight to it - which I like, feels solid. The screen resolution looks great. Camera takes pretty decent-quality cellphone photos. Not that I really care, but the speed tests show this is the fastest Android phone out on the market, beating out even the Nexus One. Of course, by November/December there'll probably be a faster phone out on the market. Right now, it's said that the G2 is "unrootable." Which means it will take hackers a few weeks to figure it out. I have no need to root the phone at this time, but for those who want to, keep that in mind. Ever since iJobs came out with the iPhone 4, there seems to be an obsession with having a smart phone with a front-facing camera. The G2 does NOT have one, so if you need an FFC this is not the smartphone for you. One cool bling-factor about the G2, that I didn't know about until I got it, is the way the chrome ring around the trackpad glows when you get a call, text, or have an alert. Any questions, ask me.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^loving mine too

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it a bad idea to sign up for Verizon and one of their current phones? Will Ver's 4G (supposedly coming by the end of the year) make the current 3G offerings dinosaurs in 6 months? I don't want to have to mess around with upgrades or whatever any time soon. Will the 4G be mush quicker?

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by airportlobby
Is it a bad idea to sign up for Verizon and one of their current phones? Will Ver's 4G (supposedly coming by the end of the year) make the current 3G offerings dinosaurs in 6 months? I don't want to have to mess around with upgrades or whatever any time soon. Will the 4G be mush quicker?
3G will be around for a long time. If you need a phone now I'd wait until the Black Friday sales. Other than that its open season.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads