• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Andre Malraux.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
4217008068rb8.jpg

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One in a great line of french intellectuals, of which I'd include Camus and the one I'm currently reading, Paul Virilio. Oh the clothes- sorry, I forgot what was important. Apparently he could take the most conservative items and make them dramatic (by striking a pose, clearly). The coat over the shoulders- when was this image taken? The most famous portrait of the conductor Karajan, by Fred Stein in 1955, had him wearing is coat in the same way.
Karajan.jpg
Oh, they are using them as two-armed capes, aren't they? Since one cannot wear a Julius Caesar cape, but one can wear an overcoat...

observer

Reaction score
The pose is quite as striking as the prose in his Antimemoirs

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Andre Malraux seemed quite fond of the draped overcoat:
4216047823fu0.jpg
That first picture was taken in 1972. Quite interestingly, he was arrested in former Indochina for stealing sculptures from one of the Angkor complexes.

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Quite interestingly, he was arrested in former Indochina for stealing sculptures from one of the Angkor complexes.

For all of his existential palaver about suffering and dying, he was quite the brave fellow. No slurs about cheese-eating surrender monkeys fit his escapades. He was a freedom fighter in the Spanish Civil War. During WWII twice the Nazis captured him. The first time he was in the French Army. He escaped and later joined the Resistance only to be captured a second time.

Malraux did his share of Indiana Jones adventuring. He decided to liberate those temple sculptures in Cambodia and, ironically, it was the French Indochina authorities (his own people) that arrested him. He claimed some sort of local jungle authority authorized the whole thing and that the pieces were destined for the Louvre back home. Lord Elgin fared better with the Ottomans.

You may already know that his Man's Fate was written about the unsuccessful revolution in your Shanghai. As part of a high school literature class in the 1960s, our communist sympathizing teacher put this book on the reading list. I believe it was either Life or Look magazine that had a few photos of him as part of some de Gaulle issue at about this same time. Malraux was quite the natty dresser.

___

Biscione

Reaction score
I think what's more notable is that the guy never wore any shirt other than white.

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that's an interesting signature style, the draped coat. I've always been fascinated by this look, but never tried doing it myself as I am afraid the coat may fall off when I am on the go.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I do it all the time with coats and outerwear, and it rarely falls off unless you move your arm too much. Another Malraux with draped coat:
malraux-1.jpg

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
great photo, love the cigarette smoked down to the filter...

landho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just read Voices of Silence last year. One of the best books on art and culture I've ever read, but after I finished it I wondered whether I would ever meet someone else who's read it.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by landho
I just read Voices of Silence last year. One of the best books on art and culture I've ever read, but after I finished it I wondered whether I would ever meet someone else who's read it.

I feel that way about many books I read.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I prefer Romain Gary.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The french public intellectuals have this admirable need to be both in the government and to write philosophically oriented books. In France these gentlemen were involved in government or business while writing the kinds of books that in America only academics and thinktank folks write. These books are not aimed at getting elected, the only books that modern American politicians write. Amazing.

I'd love for style to include dramatic clothes and dramatic books, while working
in the real world.

devil.gif
Is it only me, or does Andre have the air of a 5 year old playing superman as he comes down the airplane steps?

Here is Andre Malraux in another Fred Stein portrait. No coat/cape, but another short cigarette.
Malraux.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads