Andover Shop: Dingy den of scumbags

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NukeMeSlowly, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

I don't agree with how you were treated.

But I agree that asking for a tape measure is weird.

But it's one of those things which clerks should ridicule profusely AFTER the customer has left the store. Not while you are still there.

So their behavior is unacceptable.

2. gehrig

gehrig Well-Known Member

mr brady, i pretty much agree with all the recent posts and im not conding the behavior of the staff. also, just to clarify, as one of the other posters brought up earlier, the request, as presented by nukeme in the original post, was merely for a tape measure - the reason for its use is left out of quotation marks. not an outlandish request in a men's clothing store.

that said, remember, this is just a message board post, and a message board post written by a Pocket Square Measurer who referred to the establishment as a "den of scumbags." personally, those things make me doubt the reliability of our narrator. maybe i am in the minority here, but i have never seen, or heard, of people getting kicked out of men's clothing stores, and im not talking about two totally wasted guys who stumbled in. i mean im picturing walking into that charvet alcove in b.goodman and seeing the old man who works there holding a totally sober customer by the arm saying 'sir, kindly leave the premises' and it's just a completely fantastical scenario to me.

3. Leslierc

Leslierc Senior member

As to the issue regarding the dimensions of that pocket square, I adhere to the adage that the customer is always right. I think a consumer has the right to ask related questions about goods they are considering purchasing. Any merchant who blows someone off because they don't like a particular question about goods for sale should really consider another livelihood. It doesn't matter what we, or the merchant, think of the question, that consumer not only has the right to the question and an answer, but also to be treated with respect.

4. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

i mean im picturing walking into that charvet alcove in b.goodman and seeing the old man who works there

He's a good guy, when I was into Charvet ties he would always call me as soon as any new ties came in that he thought I would like. He's been there forever. There was also this great older lady that used to man the defunct Turnbull and Asser counter and she seems to have left when Turnbull did [​IMG]

5. thebeatblitz

thebeatblitz Well-Known Member

Is this the same "Andover Shop" that's on Holyoke St?

That place is awesome. A few years ago my baggage got "lost" by United on a flight up for an interview, and I was wearing a t-shirt, breakaway pants, and sandals from the flight. I needed cheap clothing for the interview so I asked some people on the street where a few clothing stores were. Hah. I went in there, took one look, and immediately turned around. This extraordinarily old guy stopped me and asked me why I was in such a hurry; I explained my situation, and after a few awkward minutes, he started chuckling and gave me directions to the mall.

He seemed pretty friendly to me. And I'm far from a WASP being, well, Korean.

6. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

As to the issue regarding the dimensions of that pocket square, I adhere to the adage that the customer is always right. I think a consumer has the right to ask related questions about goods they are considering purchasing. Any merchant who blows someone off because they don't like a particular question about goods for sale should really consider another livelihood. It doesn't matter what we, or the merchant, think of the question, that consumer not only has the right to the question and an answer, but also to be treated with respect.

+1

7. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

The customer is always right. But it doesn't mean they aren't also weird.

8. Hard2Fit

Hard2Fit Senior member

Someone should poop on their floor.

9. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

What's so weird about asking for a tape measure to measure a pocket square? The OP wanted to check to see how they would fit in his breast pocket. It's not like he asked for a plate of rigatoni.

10. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

What's so weird about asking for a tape measure to measure a pocket square? The OP wanted to check to see how they would fit in his breast pocket.

My sentiments as well. I've asked for a measuring tape in a clothing store before--at NMLC to check tie lengths. I explained to the sales clerk that I was somewhat particular about the length of my ties and gently inquired if she might have a measuring tape I could use. She graciously obliged.

11. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Well this wouldn't have happened in Japan, where customer service still exists. If you had asked for a measuring tape in the Japanese equivalent of the Andover Shop (e.g., Beams - http://www.beams.co.jp ), they would have quickly located a measuring tape for you and bowed as they handed it to you.

I would kill for that kind of service.

Jon.

12. alebrady

alebrady Senior member

mr brady, i pretty much agree with all the recent posts and im not conding the behavior of the staff. also, just to clarify, as one of the other posters brought up earlier, the request, as presented by nukeme in the original post, was merely for a tape measure - the reason for its use is left out of quotation marks. not an outlandish request in a men's clothing store.

that said, remember, this is just a message board post, and a message board post written by a Pocket Square Measurer who referred to the establishment as a "den of scumbags." personally, those things make me doubt the reliability of our narrator. maybe i am in the minority here, but i have never seen, or heard, of people getting kicked out of men's clothing stores, and im not talking about two totally wasted guys who stumbled in. i mean im picturing walking into that charvet alcove in b.goodman and seeing the old man who works there holding a totally sober customer by the arm saying 'sir, kindly leave the premises' and it's just a completely fantastical scenario to me.

gehrig,

i understand your point and cant say i necessarily disagree - the staff's behaviour just struck me as ridiculous given the nature of the OP request (not saying that the request wasnt very, very odd as well). i was taking the narrative as given (obviously, with all things here we only hear one side of the story) and wouldn't accept the described behaviour for the described offense.

it just seems like more and more in the world (particularly with retail clothing establishments) the sales professionals have the dynamic backward from what it should be

13. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Perhaps they recognize one of their own? [​IMG]

Where is the pink pants emoticon when you need it?

Jon.

14. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

What's so weird about asking for a tape measure to measure a pocket square? The OP wanted to check to see how they would fit in his breast pocket. It's not like he asked for a plate of rigatoni.

[​IMG] Coke almost went flying towards my screen at work.

Jon.

15. gehrig

gehrig Well-Known Member

i agree, i had the old man hold a few of the large prints for me this summer and found him especially pleasant, though in my limited experience the store has very good staff