• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Andover Shop: Dingy den of scumbags

maleshopper

Reaction score
The description of the Cambridge Andover Shop was hilariously dead-on. My experience there was uncannily the same, though I return occasionally to buy a shirt. The first time I went in, I kept wondering to myself, "what had I done?" to offend them. The guy with the artificial voicebox seemed like a villain from an old James Bond movie. Was there a code of behavior of which I was unaware? Did I reek of not having a Harvard pedigree? Was it that I simply had not earned my spurs as a loyal patron to warrant respectful treatment? You would think that pure commercial self-interest would encourage at least token civility, but not those guys.

The atmosphere in the Andover Shop in Andover, on the other hand, is completely different. Much more of what you would expect to receive in terms of customer service.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have to say that I'm always amazed that they remember me even when I haven't been in for a couple years.

It's not as if I've ever spent a ton there either. Can't imagine how other people have had bad experiences.

CrimsonSox

Reaction score
Charlie's 87 years old and a World War II veteran. He knows an incredible amount about clothes (and jazz). I see him as the last standard bearer for the Ivy League look. Everyone talks about the influence today of the 1950s, but he actually opened his shop back then, dressing George Frazier, Miles Davis, and generations of students and faculty at Harvard. Visiting him is a bit like seeing a grandfather for me.

jt10000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NukeMeSlowly
So... I am making this up? Are you for real? Who would make this stuff up? For the record, their shop is dingy, it is about the size of the average den (maybe smaller), and the crusty old men who work there treated me like dirt for no reason so they are scumbags in my book. What should have I titled my post, "Andover Shop: misunderstood curmudgeons?" I was polite, I was respectful (even after their verbal abuse), I asked some questions and ended up getting loudly berated for it. In what possible way is that acceptable? I walked out of that place feeling like I had been slapped across the face. Who wouldn't be angry after an experience like that? By the way, pocket squares come in all kinds of sizes. Kent Wang's basic is about 14 inches, I think. I see them at Nordstrom and Neimans at about 11 or 12 inches all the time. I need mine to be about 17 inches at least or they disappear in my coat pocket. I know, what a horrible crime wanting to get the right size before I buy something. I guess Pocket Square Measurer could be my official super villain name. What do you do, walk in to a store, buy something and leave hoping it fits? How's that working out for you?
You couldn't just eyeball it? a 12" square and a 17" look different.

WTF does that matter? If the guys in the shop were super-busy and couldn't help, they should indicate that an decline the request, not berate the OP.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads