• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anderson & Sheppard Suits.

Tavi5

Reaction score
I was hoping to get a difinitive collection of pictures of the English bespoke tailors suits. I was thinking because of my difficult body proportions, they might be the way to go for me. Not to mention the fact that I cand stand the skinny suit fad. My legs can't get into any of these suits. I'm in love with the late 30's, 40's Drape suit style anyway. Being full cut and bespoke, I'm thinking they would be perfect for me?

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I was hoping to get a difinitive collection of pictures of the English bespoke tailors suits. I was thinking because of my difficult body proportions, they might be the way to go for me. Not to mention the fact that I cand stand the skinny suit fad. My legs can't get into any of these suits. I'm in love with the late 30's, 40's Drape suit style anyway. Being full cut and bespoke, I'm thinking they would be perfect for me?

Welcome to the forum, Tavi. You'll want to take a look at this thread:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/67722/the-anderson-sheppard-expatriates-thread

There is plenty of other threads on English tailors floating around. You'd like to think bespoke is the perfect option for anyone that can afford it, but it can sometimes end up being an expensive mistake. Personally, I haven't made the jump because I have RTW and MTM options that work well for me.

Tavi5

Reaction score
I thank you sir!
1f44d.png
1f600.png

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A bespoke tailor will, within reason, make the style you want although you might move out of the comfort zone of some with ultra modern styles.

Tavi5

Reaction score
Thank you, and my collection of suits varies a great deal. Fit is do important! I have ( Made to measure ) on all my suits. I am a Bodybuilder, so I go through weight changes, so I have a suit for all my body weights. Ermenegildo Zegna, Canali ( a favorite ) Armani Black label fit me perfect off the rack ten years ago, with the full cut pants. Corneliani, (when I'm lighter) and most will probably scoff at Joseph Abboud the fuller cut style with the pleated pants of a few years ago. I get more compliments on his suits than my most expensive Zegna's. of course, I have a great tailor here in California , that knows my body and creates magic out of the joseph Abboud suits I bring to him. Hand stitched working button holes, pic stitching added, etc.... Anyway, it's all in the shoulder. Abboud and Canali work for me! Just have to have a full cut Drapey trouser!

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you have recently had an epiphany. Anderson and Sheppard and the like
bears little resemblance to the makers you have mentioned.

Tavi5

Reaction score
I know I'm living in a dreamland. I just love the old Hollywood drape suits. A & S might not even make that style suit anymore? The Italians tool over that style years ago. A lot more tailors there to work with on that style. Which is why I am here, to find out from the sartorial experts!

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know I'm living in a dreamland. I just love the old Hollywood drape suits. A & S might not even make that style suit anymore? The Italians tool over that style years ago. A lot more tailors there to work with on that style. Which is why I am here, to find out from the sartorial experts!

Rule of thumb: A & S and its progency do drape.
Italians, especially the Neapolitans, less so.

Last edited:

Tavi5

Reaction score
Thank you. It's just from what I've read and pictures I've seen. A&S looked the way to go. I need suits with light shoulder padding due to my physique, as well as ( and this is the big one) and full cut drape trousers. It's all flat from skinny trousers these days that not only IMO, look rediculous'... But I look like I'm wearing tights! That is if I can get my legs into them at all. Even if I did not have a muscular physique, I still hate this new skinny lapel, skinny (Ryan Seacrest) look. Now that may work for him because of his very small features and frame. At this point, I'd rather take my chances at the thrift stores where some of the highest end suits from a few years ago with perfect proportions and in perfect to new shape are easily found out here. The pant legs from just a few years ago, are much more full! **Elegance right here: Gary Cooper circa 1939. In A&S . I see a lot of Italian suits that look just like this today. With soft fabrics and beautiful drape. Even some top US labels are using the finest Italian fabrics. By the way, if you look at my pictures in my profile, you can see why I need a specific suit.

Tavi5

Reaction score
Well I've tried several times to upload a photo on my phone ( mobile ) do I have to be on " Desktop "

greger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If drape is to make a wimpy, skimpy man look manly, and you have plenty of muscles that give you that manly look, why do you want drape?

Tavi5

Reaction score
Greger, Because I've tried every suit imaginable! Every cut, Fabric, Fit, Detail, and the softer draping suits look the best on me and I always get compliments. From both men and women, and I know it looks and feels the best. I can sleep in my soft suits as they are so comphy! Which is why I like wool crepe so much. But it seems Like Armani was the only one doing this years ago..... I go for fit and softness of fabric. Color comes next . I am also partial to 3 button single brested suits, as they look best on me. I love double breasted..., but out here in So Cal, there is not too much available it seems. I do love the fact that I can wear a wrinkled linen suit proudly out here. Yes, the more wrinkled the better as far as I'm concerned if it's Linen. Adds character that most don't understand. Lol. I have some Zegna ( Trofeo ) fabric suits which feel like linen, and are perfect for my weather conditions. However, if they are OTR, I have to get a suit that is 3 to 4 times my size for the shoulder to fit correctly. Of course this means major waist suppression, and shortening of the pants and jacket cuffs.... I have a great tailor. Lucky...:)
1f600.png
:)

Tavi5

Reaction score

I can sleep in this suit! I get compliments on it every time I wear it! Of course your tie and shirt are important as well. I've seen guys with great suits, ruined by bad ties and shirts.

Tavi5

Reaction score
I know...... Where is my pocket square in my picture above? Well, it was a cleaner look I felt. I had a linen pocket square to start, but took it out. Just pre-empting a possible " Should have had a pocket square " comment. Ha..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads