• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ande Whall Denim

blynch

Reaction score
thanks for the comments, here is a side view, lighting sucks though.
-btw not planning on wearing those shoes with them, they were just sitting in my lifting area at the time. I have a pair of PF Flyers #5 in all white coming in, I think they will go well. Or I have a brown pair of desert boots.

CIMG0898.jpg

I can't return them, so instead of trying to sell for a loss I think I will keep them and hope the thighs stretch out a good deal. I would exchange for a different cut from AW, but if I went up to the miners the upper thigh would be much to large.

-other thoughts? And if you think a different cut would be better, which one?

kit99bar

Reaction score
that fit looks pretty good and they will stretch a bit too like all denim. I put on 15 lbs since I got my grifters and they stretched with me
laugh.gif

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blynch
I can't return them, so instead of trying to sell for a loss I think I will keep them and hope the thighs stretch out a good deal. I would exchange for a different cut from AW, but if I went up to the miners the upper thigh would be much to large.

-other thoughts? And if you think a different cut would be better, which one?

I'm not following you. You would like it looser in the thigh, which is exactly what the Miner does. The problem should really be that the Miner is a full 1" smaller in the leg opening. The "coming soon" 1921 Miner reads as if it is exactly what you need.

I'm surprised people aren't busting at the seams about the 1921 Miner. It looks like direct competition for all the Japanese straight leg repros on the market.

blynch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by db_ggmm
I'm not following you. You would like it looser in the thigh, which is exactly what the Miner does. The problem should really be that the Miner is a full 1" smaller in the leg opening. The "coming soon" 1921 Miner reads as if it is exactly what you need.

I'm surprised people aren't busting at the seams about the 1921 Miner. It looks like direct competition for all the Japanese straight leg repros on the market.

The top of the thigh is fine, it just tappers down to the knee to quickly making the middle of the thigh tight. The miner looks to tapper about the same degree, it just starts out bigger. Although if I sized down to a 32" miner that might be a little roomier fit without too much extra in the top.

-As of now I'm keeping what I have, if they don't stretch to something I like within a month I'll try and sell them and look for something else. That 1921 miner seems tempting though, to bad it isn't out yet I would of probably got it to begin with.

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The miner looks to tapper about the same degree, it just starts out bigger.

I'm not trying to bust your chops, honest, but the Miner does not taper the same degree. The Cougar Bootcut goes 12 to 9.1 to 8.1 and the Miner goes 12.6 to 9.6 to 8.6 (8.5? Picture isn't clear). Or maybe that's what you mean by 'degree'. ANYWAY, the point is, you'd gain a half inch across the entire upper leg, from hip to knee.

If it's any consolation, I don't think your thigh looks overly tight. Ya, you can actually see your thigh, but it doesn't look like you are squeezing yourself into them. When the waist stretches an inch, they will sit a half inch lower, increasing relative thigh size whether the thigh actually stretches or not.

They look very good for directly off-the-rack and it's great to see a live shot of the fact the boot cut is much closer to a straight leg than an actual flare. The words "boot cut" contain an undeserved stigma.

blynch

Reaction score
Yea that is what I meant by degree, don't really need the extra space up at the hip. But I'm seriously considering waiting on the 1921 miner now. It would be basically like sizing up but keeping the waist the same size, except I don't really like the 1" higher back rise. I have a pair of rescues that I rarely wear now because the thighs are overly snug when sitting, so I'm a bit paranoid that these would have the same fate.

And there is no flare at all, I measured 9" at knee and opening--dead straight.

DocHunter

Reaction score
Yea that is what I meant by degree, don't really need the extra space up at the hip. But I'm seriously considering waiting on the 1921 miner now. It would be basically like sizing up but keeping the waist the same size, except I don't really like the 1" higher back rise. I have a pair of rescues that I rarely wear now because the thighs are overly snug when sitting, so I'm a bit paranoid that these would have the same fate.

And there is no flare at all, I measured 9" at knee and opening--dead straight.

That's too bad. I'm not a huge bootcut guy, but I was going to pick these up. I have the regular Cougars with a slight taper and based on that I thought these would be awesome with a slight bootcut.

Why would Ande advertise these as bootcut and make them basically straight?

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHunter
Why would Ande advertise these as bootcut and make them basically straight?

It's a slight boot cut. It's all relative, anyway. Since everything is straight or tapered these days, a half inch boot cut is visually distinct.

DocHunter

Reaction score
Would Ande be billing to make a pair for me with a little more pronounced bootcut? Maybe just another 1/2"? Does he have a "no custom orders" policy?

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ande doesn't do custom orders- I guess it's because if he has any plans of growing his brand sensibly, it makes sense to define his product line as strictly as can be allowed.

DocHunter

Reaction score
What a bummer, I went to go buy them anyway and they're sold out in the sanforized. How long does he typically take to get something like that back up and running? Do I have to wait for a whole new shipment of denim or something?

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHunter
What a bummer, I went to go buy them anyway and they're sold out in the sanforized. How long does he typically take to get something like that back up and running? Do I have to wait for a whole new shipment of denim or something?

i'm pretty sure it's cut to order anyways. shoot him a pm or an email.

kit99bar

Reaction score
taking too long for the black denim, I might fold and go with another brand
lol8[1].gif

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
did he switch the back pocket stitching because of Sears' "thumbs up" denim from the 70's/80's... or was this just something he decided to switch?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads