1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

And the greatest song ever is......

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Stu, Jun 28, 2005.

1. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

best song ever...might be Puccini's Nessun Dorma, although i guess it's been stipulated that opera doesn't count. ...really kindof a meaningless superlative...it should be spelled 'Best. Song. EVAR...' ...that would be more fun at least.

2. Roy

Roy Senior member

These are some songs that I love:
    Deep Purple - Child in Time.
    Led Zeppelin - the immigrant song
    Metallica - Fade to Black
    Dream Theater - Metropolis
    Rolling Stones - Paint it black/Jumping Jack Flash

3. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

Mozart wrote the greatest rock music ever.

4. Roy

Roy Senior member

I think you are forgetting Spinal Tap, especially Nigel Tuffnel: Marty DiBergi: It's very pretty. Nigel Tufnel:Yeah, I've been fooling around with it for a few months. Marty DiBergi: It's a bit of a departure from what you normally play. Nigel Tufnel:It's part of a trilogy, a musical trilogy I'm working on in D minor which is the saddest of all keys, I find. People weep instantly when they hear it, and I don't know why. Marty DiBergi: It's very nice. Nigel Tufnel: You know, just simple lines intertwining, you know, very much like - I'm really influenced by Mozart and Bach, and it's sort of in between those, really. It's like a Mach piece, really. It's sort of... Marty DiBergi: What do you call this? Nigel Tufnel: Well, this piece is called "Lick My Love Pump".

5. PHV

PHV Senior member

You really have to know rock and understand "cock rock" to get the humor of Spinal Tap. I like that part, it really makes a dig at all the cheesy neo-classic guitarists that arose around that time.

6. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

(johnapril @ July 04 2005,15:53) Mozart wrote the greatest rock music ever.
    I think you are forgetting Spinal Tap, especially Nigel Tuffnel: Marty DiBergi: It's very pretty. Nigel Tufnel:Yeah, I've been fooling around with it for a few months. Marty DiBergi: It's a bit of a departure from what you normally play. Nigel Tufnel:It's part of a trilogy, a musical trilogy I'm working on in D minor which is the saddest of all keys, I find. People weep instantly when they hear it, and I don't know why. Marty DiBergi: It's very nice. Nigel Tufnel: You know, just simple lines intertwining, you know, very much like - I'm really influenced by Mozart and Bach, and it's sort of in between those, really. It's like a Mach piece, really. It's sort of... Marty DiBergi: What do you call this? Nigel Tufnel: Well, this piece is called "Lick My Love Pump".
    I stand corrected.

7. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

I nominate Led Zeppelin's Stairway to Heaven. While (IMHO) it is NOT the best Zeppelin tune out there, it does have all the characteristics that the greatest rock song should have:

- It rocks (or at least the end does).
    - It has a great guitar solo.
    - It has great vocals.
    - It's got a great "Mach"-like section.
    - It is really long for radio play but radio plays it anyway. All the time.
    - It crosses generations really well, being relevant in the 70's, 80's, 90's, and presumably into the 00's.
    - It is the signature song from the greatest rock 'n roll band ever (although arguably it shares that honor with Whole Lotta Love).
    - It was the song that was likely playing when you got your first kiss. Or better.
    - It is best listened to with headphones and focus, although it also is just good when played loud.
    - It was great live and resulted in spontaneous displays of lighters (now banned due to fire codes), iconic live rock 'n roll.

Shall I go on?

8. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    Stairway is a great song, for all the reasons you list. I read over the weekend that it is still the most played single on AOR radio stations, 34 years now since it was released. Interestingly, Led Zeppelin never released songs as singles; radio jocks picked album cuts, in spite of their length. As to your mention of lighter displays: I can speak from personal experience that butane was not the only substance being burned at Zeppelin concerts. When Jimmy Page's guitar loosed the first almost lilting strains of Stairway in concert, one could feel the crowd sit up and take notice, even after the two hours of thunderous rock 'n' roll which preceded it. My two most memorable concert experiences were Zeppelin kicking off the Physical Grafitti tour in Minneapolis, and Eric Clapton and Carlos Santana trading riffs in a one-hour encore, also in Minneapolis.

9. Stu

Stu Senior member

Myself I'd have to say "Lilly, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts" is my fave Dylan song.

10. Roy

Roy Senior member

I don't think it's the greatest song... But I was just listening to AC/DC - Back in Black and that song does rock. Hard. Â [​IMG]

11. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    I hate even to admit this, but I'm among friends, right? My wife and kids were at the cabin over the holiday weekend while I was babysitting our dogs in town. What to do, what to do?

I "obtained" all 500 of Rolling Stone's Greatest Songs of Rock n' Roll. They are now playing on a random rotation in iTunes.

Awesome collection of multi-generational songs.

And Roy, you're right: Back in Black does rock.

12. faustian bargain

Tribute - Tenacious D:

13. faustian bargain

jack black is a genius. [​IMG]

14. Mr Checks

Mr Checks Senior member

There was a poll when I was growing up (the 70s) and the top three songs were .... (drum roll):

1. Kung Fu Fighting (da-da-da-da-da, dada da da da)

2. Stairway to Heaven

3. something by Foghat

Taste the Poutine

15. Mr Checks

Mr Checks Senior member

More seriously, and for my own picks:

1. The 'greatest' rock song would have to be Stairway to Heaven. My favorite rock song would be 'Brand New Cadillac' by the Clash: it's not 'great' (i.e., grand) but it's a perfect example of the genre: fast, meaningless, blazing guitars and pounding drums, and a dirty word for the rebel in you.

1. My favorite song (overall, not just rock) would be Beim Schlafengehen, from Strauss's Four Last Songs, performed by Gundula Janowitz, Berlin Phil./Karajan. Listen and weep.

Taste the Poutine