• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ancient shoes

NotoriousMarquis

Reaction score
Recently on this forum I saw a photo of HRH wearing a pair of black brogues that had been redone a billion times obviously. I also saw a similar article in esquire here:

http://www.esquire.com/archives/blogs/mens-fashion/10;2

I dont know how to find the first photo I mentioned, but could someone tell me if these were just regular cap toed oxfords, or shiny toed oxfords?

Does anyone else have similar photos?

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Here you go :
Chris%2BJackson%2BGetty%2BImages%2BEurope%2BPatches%2Bon%2BHRH%2BPrince%2BCharles%2Bshoes.jpg

NotoriousMarquis

Reaction score
thanks; would you say these were originally shiny cap toed shoes, or did this happen over time somehow.

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IIRC, those are bespoke lobb captoes. HRH likes his shoes heavily spit shined like they do in the military. He has a similar pair in burgundy, once again in similar condition, well worn, patched and spit shined. Some members here probably will have a heart attack seeing the wax buildup on the vamp.
NSoRj.jpg
JyBIj.jpg
.. and another pair - wingtips this time.
4KgFG.jpg
keAHC.jpg

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hadn't seen the wingtips before. Thanks.

Also, HRH uses colored shoelaces? How come I never noticed that? I've seen pictures of those burgundy captoes a million times, but never noticed that.

viator

Reaction score
Woof.

There is a difference between well worn and worn out, and I think these are on the far side of that line.

TheBurnOut

Reaction score
I'm sorry, who is HRH?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheBurnOut
I'm sorry, who is HRH?

His Royal Highness, the Prince of Wales.

One of the better dressed men in the world. He certainly has his quirks, one of which is that he likes stuff that lasts. And lasts. He's very much the type who views patina as added charm.

All of those shoes are about 40 years old, and in heavy rotation.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
I'm okay with the rest.
You would put on your freshly pressed bespoke suit, laundered shirts, crisp linen PS....and then these? And feel right about it? Seriously...
NSoRj.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads