• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ancient Madder Ties

Finegarments

Reaction score
I searched the site but could not find and post. I am in the process of leveling up tie stable. I recently purchased some ties from Kirby Allison which are nice quality. I want to purchase a few Ancient Madder ties and wanted to now get some opinions for others who have been down this road. I want great ties for the best price. Please help?

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would look at Shibumi Firenze and see if any of theirs are your style.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
I searched the site but could not find and post. I am in the process of leveling up tie stable. I recently purchased some ties from Kirby Allison which are nice quality. I want to purchase a few Ancient Madder ties and wanted to now get some opinions for others who have been down this road. I want great ties for the best price. Please help?

What are you wearing ties with? Tweed jackets? Navy suits? OCBDs? White spread collar shirts? My answer will depend on your answer to these questions.

If you just want to know a place where you can get good ties at a reasonable price, I like Shibumi Firenze, and HN White. I think they are both a good value. Many also like Vanda, but I haven't tried them out myself. EG Cappelli is a good maker and not too expensive. Skoaktiebolaget, a great shoe store, sells them. Drake's ties are good and they often have loads of options. I don't think their ties are as well made as some of these other options, but they have a very wide selection and they do some very interesting things. They are more expensive than some of these other options, but you can find them on sale if you look, and they are widely available. I've been meaning to try ties from Anglo-Italian (but I haven't been able to justify such a purchase this year). Some of their designs look exceptionally tasteful and versatile. If you are looking for knits, I like German crunchy ones and you can get them from many places.

You can find more expensive ties elsewhere: Tie Your Tie/Sevenfold, E. Marinella, etc. but you seemed to be looking for a good value.

Finegarments

Reaction score
What are you wearing ties with? Tweed jackets? Navy suits? OCBDs? White spread collar shirts? My answer will depend on your answer to these questions.

If you just want to know a place where you can get good ties at a reasonable price, I like Shibumi Firenze, and HN White. I think they are both a good value. Many also like Vanda, but I haven't tried them out myself. EG Cappelli is a good maker and not too expensive. Skoaktiebolaget, a great shoe store, sells them. Drake's ties are good and they often have loads of options. I don't think their ties are as well made as some of these other options, but they have a very wide selection and they do some very interesting things. They are more expensive than some of these other options, but you can find them on sale if you look, and they are widely available. I've been meaning to try ties from Anglo-Italian (but I haven't been able to justify such a purchase this year). Some of their designs look exceptionally tasteful and versatile. If you are looking for knits, I like German crunchy ones and you can get them from many places.

You can find more expensive ties elsewhere: Tie Your Tie/Sevenfold, E. Marinella, etc. but you seemed to be looking for a good value.
I really appreciate you going in detail giving me some good places to purchase ties. I just joined this forum and already I am getting some great information. Your knowledge is what I need and thank you for going in depth. I plan to make another tie purchase soon so I will look into for sure the 1st two you mentioned. I have heard of Shibumi Firenze and Drake’s. HN White looks promising ; ) Thanks!

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Some options:

EG Cappelli: Beautiful designs, handmade, and charming backstory. They have a small workshop across the courtyard from Sartoria Formosa in Naples. Very high level of taste when it comes to fabrics.

Drakes: Often slightly younger in terms of fabric selections, but plenty of classic options. You are buying partly for the brand, but the brand is fun.

Sam Hober: One of the best values. Fully handmade, fully bespoke. Not overly pressed like most options on this list. Very nice soft edges with a bit of roll.

Chipp: Among the cheapest of options, but still well made. The company used to dress JFK.

HN White: Modern ancient madder doesn't have the same muted colors as old ancient madder. Chemical processing nowadays is different. Modern madder is often more vibrant. But HN White recently did some process where they dye their fabrics in indigo first (IIRC), which helps tone down the colors. It's a closer representation of old ancient madder.

Vanda: Extremely light construction. Wears almost like a silk scarf. Bespoke and fully handmade. Like Sam Hober, soft edges.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
I really appreciate you going in detail giving me some good places to purchase ties. I just joined this forum and already I am getting some great information. Your knowledge is what I need and thank you for going in depth. I plan to make another tie purchase soon so I will look into for sure the 1st two you mentioned. I have heard of Shibumi Firenze and Drake’s. HN White looks promising ; ) Thanks!

Glad to help. If you want tie style suggestions, from me or from others, just let me know what sorts of things you'll be wearing the ties with. People on here have learned a lot from each other and from trial and error and overly happy to tell share their opinions (and argue with each other--I don't exclude myself from this category).

Finegarments

Reaction score
Some options:

EG Cappelli: Beautiful designs, handmade, and charming backstory. They have a small workshop across the courtyard from Sartoria Formosa in Naples. Very high level of taste when it comes to fabrics.

Drakes: Often slightly younger in terms of fabric selections, but plenty of classic options. You are buying partly for the brand, but the brand is fun.

Sam Hober: One of the best values. Fully handmade, fully bespoke. Not overly pressed like most options on this list. Very nice soft edges with a bit of roll.

Chipp: Among the cheapest of options, but still well made. The company used to dress JFK.

HN White: Modern ancient madder doesn't have the same muted colors as old ancient madder. Chemical processing nowadays is different. Modern madder is often more vibrant. But HN White recently did some process where they dye their fabrics in indigo first (IIRC), which helps tone down the colors. It's a closer representation of old ancient madder.

Vanda: Extremely light construction. Wears almost like a silk scarf. Bespoke and fully handmade. Like Sam Hober, soft edges.
Another detailed post on ties. Great breakdown on different makers!!! What do you think about Gentleman’s Gazette Fort Belvedere Ancient Madder ties?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Another detailed post on ties. Great breakdown on different makers!!! What do you think about Gentleman’s Gazette Fort Belvedere Ancient Madder ties?

No experience with them, so I can't say.

BigBadBernard

Reaction score
I have a couple of these:

They are very good indeed, but i got them a few years ago and I‘m not totally sure where you would get hold of them retail at present.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just pulled the trigger on a couple Ancient Madder ties fro Shibumi : )

Nice! Hope you are please w/ the results. I just received 4 new ties from them last week (only 1 madder).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads