• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Analogies to explain the understatement thing

LeadSmall3BetAllIN

Reaction score
From a recent convo I had: (Written below in english but was delivered in my very limited mandarin. Near verbatim translation over. Peculiar situation with the addressed might make the following hard to understand.)

"In my culture, these two are a completely different level. The aim is to show off without the intention being noticable. Take this bar fight situation, and imagine these two gentlemen dealing with it. The first screams vulgarities, thumps the youngster, then laughs obnoxiously about it with his company whilst chugging down JW black label. The second is polite throughout the situation, reasoning with the youngster courteously, and when faced with an incoming punch he gracefully moves out of the way tricking the youngster into punching a hard and possibly dangerous surface; then moves on to apologise and pretend to attempt to help the youngster up, and sips on a glass of cadenhead's old raj and cardano antico when he is brushed away. I'd posit that most ladies, even here in China, would be attracted to the second rather than the first. While it might take a drastic comparison like this for you to realise the vulgarity of the former, whom I think would be an alpha male here, that vulgarity is evident to me in their everyday actions. Don't get me wrong there needs to be vulgarity in a man for him to be a work of art, but it needs to be very well timed."

Any other ways to explain this sort of concept? Can be addressed to anyone such as a child, random neauvou riche, girlfriend etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads