• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Analogies and Metaphors Found in High School Essays

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.qwertyed.com/q_pages/q6_f...analogies.html The door had been forced, as forced as the dialogue during the interview portion of "Jeopardy!" -Jean Sorensen, Herndon He was as tall as a six-foot-three-inch tree. -Jack Bross, Chevy Chase The revelation that his marriage of 30 years had disintegrated because of his wife's infidelity came as a rude shock, like a surcharge at a formerly surcharge-free ATM. -Paul J. Kocak, Syracuse

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
McMurphy fell 12 stories, hitting the pavement like a Hefty bag filled with vegetable soup. -Paul Sabourin, Silver Spring This one is actually pretty good lol.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
lots of those are from the DC area.
eh.gif

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Some of those were as funny as a movie that you had seen before and didn't like but then you watched it again later after getting drunk and smoking a joint and realized it was, in fact, really ******* funny.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
the formula for these metaphors are so similar and simple though. like did they all have the same teacher to tell them to write metaphors using modern references in quirky mundane scenario descriptions?:

He spoke with the wisdom that can only come from experience, like a Guy who went blind because he looked at a solar eclipse without one of those boxes with a pinhole in it and now goes around the country speaking at high schools about the dangers of looking at a solar eclipse without one of those boxes with a pinhole in it.
-Joseph Romm, Washington

nevertheless. still humorous
i liked this one though...

She walked into my office like a centipede with 98 missing legs.
-Jonathan Paul, Garrett Park

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are a few versions of this on the internetz. My favorite (not included in the page linked above) was always:

"Her date was pleasant enough, but she knew that if her life was a movie this guy would be buried in the credits as something like 'Second Tall Man.'"

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
There are a few versions of this on the internetz. My favorite (not included in the page linked above) was always:

"Her date was pleasant enough, but she knew that if her life was a movie this guy would be buried in the credits as something like 'Second Tall Man.'"

I see this as an excellent choice for a member title.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by willpower
He was as tall as a six-foot-three-inch tree. -Jack Bross, Chevy Chase

I like this one a lot, almost hardboiled. The kid could have a good career writing poor quality pulp detective novels.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
heck, i can write like that too, "she was as heavy as a 345lb fat woman" . no?

i actually dont think this is clever writing ( by the high schoolers) but more so that they couldnt find literative and eloquent ways to describe their points so they resort to basically describing the first thought that comes into their head, and because it isnt imaginative, it actually turns humourous, well, maybe novel the first few times, but when every kid writes like this it is just not clever writing?

Flieger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
shonuff man you sure like to put the foo in fun.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff

i actually dont think this is clever writing ( by the high schoolers) but more so that they couldnt find literative and eloquent ways to describe their points so they resort to basically describing the first thought that comes into their head, and because it isnt imaginative, it actually turns humourous, well, maybe novel the first few times, but when every kid writes like this it is just not clever writing?

debbie_downer.jpg

ArteEtLabore14

Reaction score

And the assignment was to create bad writing, no?

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this is nowhere near as funny now that you see its supposed to be funny...
ffffuuuu.gif
fail

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
... so that they couldnt find literative and eloquent ways to describe their points so they resort to basically describing the first thought that comes into their head, and because it isnt imaginative...

Its not imaginative, but it takes a certain skill to deliberately avoid every clichÃ
00a9.png
known to man. Try to make up a simile that doesn't use a tired clichÃ
00a9.png
, its harder than it sounds.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads