• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An SF lesson learned....

amadar

Reaction score
So a few days ago I stumbled across a pair of shoes on the bay that piqued my interest. They were dirt cheap, and likely to stay that way given the descriptions of the shoes by the seller. Also, there was about 1 day left on the auction and the page only had 20 or so views.

Since I am a size 13, I thought it would be safe to come on here and post a link to the auction asking for a general consensus on whether the shoes were worth purchasing, assuming the unlikeliness of a fellow bigfoot stumbling across my thread. Whoops.

Although I only received a few replies in the SF thread, the page view for the ebay item jumped from 20 to about 150 in the span of one day, and lo and behold, I was outsniped.
plain.gif

Now of course I don't know for sure that an SFer outsniped me. But I think the chances were pretty good.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ur bad!

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep, next time save the pics to your computer then host them yourself.

amadar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
You are looking at NORE and whusurdadi right now.

hahaha lets see if one of them emerges here and owns up to it
boxing[1].gif

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
You are looking at NORE and whusurdadi right now.

Only at this forum would a guy's foot size be remembered by people
laugh.gif

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ya, must say there were a few auctions in the past I wanted to post but didnt... ebay is chum, and here lie sharks

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Should it be "an SF lesson learned" or should it be "a SF lesson learned"?

millemots

Reaction score
FWIW, this is not a situation unique to SF. I am also a member of a board dedicated to a particular guitar manufacturer. Several years ago the brand was flying "under the radar" and one could pick up used models very inexpensively. I posted a picture (hot linked to the seller's site) of an extremely rare model from early in the company's history, looking for a little information before I pulled the trigger.

Now, the seller was a mom & pop music shop located in my home town, which itself is located out in the middle of nowhere. I happened to know that used guitar had been sitting there for nearly two years. I went back that afternoon to buy it, and it was gone. The manager, whom I knew quite well, told me it was the strangest thing. They had fielded nearly two dozen calls for that guitar (the first caller bought it) from all around the US, and one from overseas. He'd never seen anything like it.

idfnl's analogy to chum and sharks is spot on, in my experience.

OakCliff

Reaction score
"An SF lesson learned" is correct grammar.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman

For abbreviations, you use 'an' if the first letter begins phonetically with a vowel, and 'a' if it does not. For example, 's' is pronounced phonetically as 'es.' Ergo, you use an.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by OakCliff
"An SF lesson learned" is correct grammar.

Originally Posted by Newcomer
For abbreviations, you use 'an' if the first letter begins phonetically with a vowel, and 'a' if it does not. For example, 's' is pronounced phonetically as 'es.' Ergo, you use an.

Thanks fellas, that would have kept me up all night with worry.

amadar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman

I think I was originally correct, as the use of the "a" or "an" before a word, acronym, initialism, etc. is determined by the phonetic sound of the first letter of the word, acronym, initialism as it is pronounced. Hence: "An hour" and not "A hour", even though "hour" starts with a consonant.

Congrats on derailing the thread.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads