An Open-Letter to The SF Grammar-Nazis

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by FidelCashflow, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

I have a fairly solid understanding of grammar rules but I'll admit to letting my standards slide when posting on style forum. That being said, I hate it when people misuse there, their, and they're.

As a matter of preferece, I always insert a coma after the last "item" in a list even though it's old fashioned to do so.

2. underwearer

underwearer Senior member

I prefer grammar Nazi's over all other kinds of Nazi's.

3. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Probably before my time. I've not seen one episode of Hogans Heroes.
    Your cultural education is woefully incomplete.
    You rule. I'm proud to think that I have gotten 2 lawyers to start using kthxbye. You should use that in litigation. It leaves no space for rebuttal or argument!
    d00d, I wz l33t before I ever met you. I actually learned most of my l33tspeak in UO. Wanna buy some rares?
    In the course participating in these internet fora, I think we all make minor slip-ups--misspellings, ommitted words, incorrectly used words, that sort of thing. To my great horror, I discovered I had used "there" when I meant "their" not long ago.
    For some reason, I have noticed that when typing emails or forum posts I'm much more prone to that sort of inadvertent homonym than I am in other contexts. There's a graduate thesis "their" waiting to be written, methinks.
    So if we discuss AC slatering and being drunk, but use proper grammar, we're sophisticated and cultured?
    I'm not being snarky here -- I have no idea what "AC slatering" means.
    Personally, when I nit-pick others' grammar, I'm doing it expressly to be annoying. It's not that I actually care, or think that someone will benefit from having their attention called to dangling modifiers of a misuse of there/their/they're, it's just something to be bitchy about that seems to really get under people's skin.
    I confess that's often, although not always, true for me as well. But I suspect that comes as no surprise. [​IMG]

4. Tsintaosaurus

Tsintaosaurus Senior member

here are 2 grammar nazis:

[​IMG]

5. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

here are 2 grammar nazis: [​IMG]
    Incorrect. Grammar nazis work together to better mankind.

6. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

Grammar nazis, like most nazis, usually play on the same team.

7. redcaimen

redcaimen Bigtime

Sort of like a Eugenics program for written communication.

8. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

Sort of like a Eugenics program for written communication.
    Very much so. I am a strong advocate of forced sterilization for people who do not understand the difference between to and too by the time they are 15 years old.

9. Joel_Cairo

Joel_Cairo Senior member

Very much so. I am a strong advocate of forced sterilization for people who do not understand the difference between to and too by the time they are 15 years old.

Agreed. I'm pretty judgemental about this stuff. I could never love, I mean truly love, a woman who couldn't use "whom".

10. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Your cultural education is woefully incomplete.

d00d, I wz l33t before I ever met you. I actually learned most of my l33tspeak in UO. Wanna buy some rares?

[​IMG]

But answer me this. How the hell did you make partner while you were playing UO? I know lots of people that dropped out of school because of it, but going by your led zepplin concert dates ('82 [​IMG]), i don't see how you had time to play because you must have been in full swing with your career. MMO's and careers don't mix imo.

Anyway [​IMG] on it not fucking up your life hehe.

PS. How did you get in to it? were you an ad&d nerd back in the english lit days or something? PM me if you don't wanna admit to it in public hahah. :p I just don't hear about too many lawyers playing MMOs, but I guess you ahve to take out frustrations somewhere. Did you play before they introduced the split world, whatever it was called?

11. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

I fix spelling and grammar errors in topic titles because they are annoying to me, and I try to point out recurring errors in hopes of helping others not to do those things in the future so I will not have to continually read them. My motives are mostly selfish/altruistic.

I've noticed that with more and more time spent reading online and less spent reading printed and edited words, my own accidental use (when typing) of the wrong word has increased with alarming frequency.

And I agree with Joel above, girls with bad grammar are a turnoff. What if I accidentally had a kid with her? Would it go around using the wrong homonym of their/there/they're? Would it say "I done it" to me and inspire me to infanticide? I don't want to think about it.

12. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

[​IMG]

But answer me this. How the hell did you make partner while you were playing UO? I know lots of people that dropped out of school because of it, but going by your led zepplin concert dates ('82 [​IMG]), i don't see how you had time to play because you must have been in full swing with your career. MMO's and careers don't mix imo.

Anyway [​IMG] on it not fucking up your life hehe.

PS. How did you get in to it? were you an ad&d nerd back in the english lit days or something? PM me if you don't wanna admit to it in public hahah. :p I just don't hear about too many lawyers playing MMOs, but I guess you ahve to take out frustrations somewhere. Did you play before they introduced the split world, whatever it was called?

I feel like I just got a lap dance from a fat stripper.

13. robin

robin Senior member

See? j is not a grammar nazi, he's a grammar ninja. [​IMG]

14. Joel_Cairo

Joel_Cairo Senior member

I feel like I just got a lap dance from a fat stripper.

LOL! GQGeek's post made me entertain the idea of compiling a thread of his quotes, entitled something like "Humiliatingly dorky things GQgeek has publicly posted with no regard for how incredibly lame they make him sound", but then it ocurred to me that that would be a whole lot of work to produce something that people can acces just by going to his profile and clicking "find more posts by"

15. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

LOL! GQGeek's post made me entertain the idea of compiling a thread of his quotes, entitled something like "Humiliatingly dorky things GQgeek has publicly posted with no regard for how incredibly lame they make him sound", but then it ocurred to me that that would be a whole lot of work to produce something that people can acces just by going to his profile and clicking "find more posts by"

Hey man, I haven't seriously played an MMO since 2002. Ok, 2003. [​IMG] I sometimes get a heroin-like urge to go back, but it's just not the same anymore and I have too many other things to do. I've never said that I wasn't a nerd. I'm just a stylin' nerd, and I'm not ashamed to admit it!

edit: for the record, I never played pen and paper AD&D. Those guys are the REAL nerds/freaky people.