1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

An introduction to tie construction and manufacturing

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dieworkwear, May 17, 2011.

1. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

For the past month, I've had the honor of writing at Put This On, and my latest entry is on tie construction. There's nothing ground breaking or new here. In fact, Vox wrote a great piece on multi-fold neckties. However, I thought I'd still post this because Vox took his photos down and some of the issues discussed here aren't already in the StyleForum archives. More importantly, I've had a lot of help from David Hober in writing this article (many thanks, David!). In the last week or so, I've been sending him my drafts and he has been correcting them. I've always appreciated everything David has contributed here, so since a lot of this is his wisdom, I thought it was worth posting. The article is partly for those of us who enjoy knowing about how things are made and partly for those who are just trying to get a good sense of how to spot quality. I hope I can serve both audiences. So let's talk about how a tie is made. There are five main parts - the envelope, keeper, tip, interlining, and stitching.
    [​IMG] Six fold tie [​IMG] Seven fold tie (photo by Vox)
    [​IMG] Self keeper [​IMG] Keeper made from maker's label
    [​IMG] Self tipped tie [​IMG] Untipped tie (photo by Drakes of London)​
    [​IMG] Wool interlining on an untipped, three folds tie
    [​IMG] Gold bar tack on purple tie (photo by Napoli Coast) [​IMG] Slip stitch thread on self tipped tie (photo by Sam Hober)
    Ending words To check for the quality in a tie, ask the seller about the silk and interlining’s composition and weight. Anyone selling you a luxury necktie should be able to tell you something about it. Also examine the finish and try putting it on. Does it give you a good knot and dimple? Does it drape nicely? Does it feel well balanced? When you take it off, does it return to its original shape? Are the edges nice and rolling, instead of creased and flat? In the end, many of the elements I’ve discussed should go into the performance of a tie, and that’s what you should look for when buying one. Finally, here are some videos I've found that shows some of the stages in making a tie. These, to me, are most educational. Please note that David hasn't seen the videos yet, so I don't know if he "approves" of them. They may be, of course, completely wrong headed; I would trust David's judgement. Perhaps he'll comment later. And of course, any mistakes above are mine and not David's.
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.​

2 people like this.
  2. Ubbens

Ubbens Active Member

Thanks a lot for this! Was a great read and very helpful too[​IMG]

3. badsha

badsha Senior member

Thank you. Very helpful.

4. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Yes, thank you.

5. ishakir

ishakir Well-Known Member

Awesome post! Greatly appreciated.

6. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Senior member

Thanks much. Very cool article.

7. hatguy

hatguy Senior member

very informative. thanks.

8. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Thanks for taking the time to do this!

9. xudisco07

xudisco07 Senior member

Awesome, really helpful!

10. pvrhye

pvrhye Senior member

I'll throw this link in my newbies guide.

EDIT: erg... I can't. It's too old to edit.

11. facet

facet Senior member

Very informative. Thanks for taking the time to post this.

12. barzen

barzen Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the post, and I'm looking forward to the rest in the series. Thanks!

13. bigtimebuck4

bigtimebuck4 Senior member

this is great and deserves to be bumped