• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

An Introduction to Color

zeero3

Reaction score
Been lurking and posting sparringly, and I love the forum. Informative, positive, and inspirational.

Since introduced to the forum, I've learned so much, but I find myself second-guessing color choices often--especially for the basic suit colors. For example, I was just looking online at purchasing a lilac shirt (checked or striped not sure yet) and the thought entered my mind that lilac probably doesn't go with navy (just a thought, I'm obv new).

I get so many ideas from posts in the WAYWT thread and see some great color combinations. My question is a basic but very broad one: what looks good with what? I know style and personal preference is everything. But if anyone has always adhered to a basic rule or guideline, I'd love for you to share.

Also, I've heard about a color palette based on skin/eyes/hair. Anyone have info on this. I'm a colorblind fool!!!

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are 3 ways to color scheme. Complimentary, contrasting and shades of a color. The trick is balancing the scheme. I can't remember who did this in the WAYWT threads but they wore orange pants and then balanced it out so it looked really good. I can't remember if he used contrasting colors or complimentary colors to pull it off. I'm an earth tones guy and dress using a complimentary type of scheme most of the time. Then there's the whole issue of color weight. By that I mean the illusion of heaviness or power based on color. The architectural guys would know what I'm talking about here and could explain it way better than me.

So enough of the formal blather. Here's how you do it. Pick things out and experiment with them. Find something you like and then go wear it well. Wearing something well is really what it's all about and is the basis of personal style which is all you should care about.

zeero3

Reaction score
For some reason I don't think it's a good idea...

zeero3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
There are 3 ways to color scheme. Complimentary, contrasting and shades of a color. The trick is balancing the scheme. I can't remember who did this in the WAYWT threads but they wore orange pants and then balanced it out so it looked really good. I can't remember if he used contrasting colors or complimentary colors to pull it off. I'm an earth tones guy and dress using a complimentary type of scheme most of the time. Then there's the whole issue of color weight. By that I mean the illusion of heaviness or power based on color. The architectural guys would know what I'm talking about here and could explain it way better than me.

So enough of the formal blather. Here's how you do it. Pick things out and experiment with them. Find something you like and then go wear it well. Wearing something well is really what it's all about and is the basis of personal style which is all you should care about.

Noted sir, ty

voxsartoria

Goon member
Reaction score

I love your feminine side. It's really touching.

- B

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I love your feminine side. It's really touching.

- B

LOL! Geez I'm slipping up. I better go play with my guns and knives for a while.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Reaction score
LOL! Geez I'm slipping up. I better go play with my guns and knives for a while.

Hah! I shoot...but sporting clays don't bleed or bleat.

- B

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What, besides a taliban, bleats when you shoot it? A donkey?

Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Hah! I shoot...but sporting clays don't bleed or bleat.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mildly Consumptive

Terrible animal, the donkey. I will say no more.

- B

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mildly Consumptive

Most of your split hooved animals bleat in some form or another for starters. I'm fairly certain a donkey doesn't bleat but it may whinnie.

Studio27

Reaction score
I can't remember who did this in the WAYWT threads but they wore orange pants and then balanced it out so it looked really good. I can't remember if he used contrasting colors or complimentary colors to pull it off.

I think I remember the pic. PG/eGW (phat guido)

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 32 3.8%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 144 17.1%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 280 33.2%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 132 15.7%
  • 31 - 40