An interview

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by DWFII, Feb 24, 2013.

1. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

I was recently asked to do a long distance interview with a gentleman--Mr. Ville Raivio--who operates a blog out of Finland addressing classic men's styles. The interview arose just as he is taking the blog international.

Some of his previous interviews have been with Bernhard Roetzel, G. Bruce Boyer, Karl Matthews, Alan Flusser, Will Boehlke and Luca Rubinacci , among others. And while those names don't mean much to a rather isolated, semi-retired old snab such as myself, the names will resonate with core Style Forum members, I'm sure.

It occurred to me that some here might enjoy it--KEIKARI.COM 24 Feb.2013

2. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Senior member

3. nutcracker

nutcracker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Wow, very insightful read..love the pics too

and congrats to Vraivio for scoring an excellent interview. excellent new blog/site :fonz:

4. bubba04

bubba04 Senior member

This is awesome, DWF. Thank you for all your contributions. Though I have never engaged you in conversation in this forum, I thoroughly enjoy reading all your posts. Cheers!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  5. DWFII

Well, I just appreciated the opportunity. Thanks to Vraivio for that. I wish him well in taking his blog international.

6. Shawl Lapel

Shawl Lapel Senior member

A very interesting read. Thanks for sharing your viewpoints with us :)

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  7. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Having just read this and found out a little about you, I will read your posts with an even greater respect.

Your work looks exquisite. Thank you for sharing it.

[​IMG]

8. DWFII

Thank you. The blog author (vraivio) at Keikari.com recently added the film clip from Oregon Public Radio's ArtBeat. I don't know when he did that but the interview wasn't originally published with it. Now that I see it again, I realized that the ArtBeat piece was probably 10+ years ago. I sure looked good. :cool: Dang, time passes fast when you're having fun...or not looking. --

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  9. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

Thanks for posting that, DW. VRavio's has some great posts here. Didn't know he had a blog. This was my favorite part of the interview:
    Mimo, in case you missed it, here's a thread about some wonderful boots DW made for me. And here's a couple pics: [​IMG] [​IMG] Still enjoying them tremendously and looking forward to the next pair!

10. DWFII

M,

Revisiting that thread...it was a good one wasn't it? Your photos then...and in this one...are excellent. I'm a poor photographer. I've read (and understood what I read) about cameras but It doesn't come natural to me. Sometimes close-ups work out for me but when it comes to aperture and exposure, I have to consult the manual every time. I just leave it on auto.

When VRaivio first contacted m, I didn't know who he was. I wasn't until someone on the forum identified him that I made the connection.

11. Xenon

Xenon Senior member

I'll testify to the validity of the spirit of the article. The fact that DWFII is a keeper of knowledge and actively looking to transfer that knowledge is extremely evident on the Crispin Colloquy. We can all clearly see the skill and talent in his finished shoes or boots. I like the quote "In the end, the work must recommend itself" but getting there isn't so easy and if this were any other industry or person, the secrets to the finished shoe/boots would be tightly guarded.. Not so on the Crispin Colloquy, where DWFII has countless tutorials and tricks that are extremely helpful to newbs as well as advanced professionals. There is a tremendous amount of time and effort put into the CC and that will endure for a very long time.

12. DWFII

:blush:

Thank you!

:cheers:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  13. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

Thanks DW. The thread had great subject matter. :satisfied: Thanks about the pics too. I think yours look better, personally.

Their two year anniversary is coming up. I'll take some pics and bump up the old thread with them.

14. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

That is a fantastic article! Thanks for posting it. I have really enjoyed reading your posts and have learned an incredible amount of information about shoe construction from the many threads you have engaged in. I really enjoy learning what makes hand-welted and bespoke shoes better and why. I have also enjoyed reading threads in the Crispin Colloquy, but I didn't know you created it. It really is a wealth of information.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  15. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Well done to all involved.