• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An Interview with B&Tailor

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
When I first joined Styleforum and listed my location as Seoul, I got several messages in rapid succession asking about B&Tailor. At the time, I had no idea who they were. About a year later, I finally stumbled upon their fantastic tumblr, this providing the impetus to finally get some stuff made by them. The older brother, Changwoo, is the fellow in the glasses most often featured. The younger brother, Changjin, is generally behind the camera and in none of the pictures. And their father, Park Jungyul, is the man behind all the clothes.

Of the three of them, the father is by far the most gregarious. There is a genuine joy in his communication with others. Every time I visit the second floor of their shop, he throws on a jacket and greets me with a firm handshake and a very real smile. The older son is perhaps the most passionate about clothing—not just tailoring—as is evident by his tumblr. I generally work with the younger son, who is the most serious of the three (as well as the only one fluent in English). He also doesn’t like ties. Go figure.

During the interview, the father took us to the fifth floor of the building where all the cutting and sewing takes place (the first floor is the showroom, the second for fitting and coffee). There were five or six rooms of various sizes, each with one or two Korean men in their 60s, hunched over at work. Some of them had been with Park since the 1980s.

My ultimate impression was this: though there is some damn fine tailoring going on at B&T, there is some even better parenting. And to me, this speaks volumes more than the cut of a jacket.

Quote:
Park Jungyul

Park Changwoo being photographed by Park Changjin for the B&Tailor tumblr

Somebody's jacket being made.

My pattern being shown to me.

A special thanks to Rudals and Mrs. Claghorn for helping with the translation, as well as my excellent friend E.L-H for the pictures.

Last edited:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Also, another member here, @tchoy , has had a fairly long relationship with them (longer than mine, anyway). I suspect he could speak more to their plans for international expansion, or at least his experience ordering from them through proxy.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is an excellent interview. Thanks Claghorn.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very nice write up, Clags. Cool stuff fo sho. I hope they do decide to establish a presence in the US. Baltimore perhaps?

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excellent interview, thanks a lot. And that is one stylish dad!

Torsion

Reaction score
Nice one @Claghorn I hope they decide to come State side, I just emailed them on Friday to ask that question and they advised no plans as yet to come over. Hope SF members + others will stir enough interest for them to come over. Stylish family indeed!

NorCal_1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the silhouette's they create and that you see on their blog are really nice - Neapolitan cut on the jackets with higher waisted (and slim/tapered) trousers -nice combination

http://bntailor.tumblr.com/archive

tumblr_n29novWsvf1s41qhqo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_miyrzcplua1s41qhqo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mwlnonUktv1s41qhqo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mvcx5lpZ8b1s41qhqo1_1280.jpg

Last edited:

pazzion

Reaction score
I've been following their Instagram/Tumblr for quite some time, and I really enjoyed your interview. Thank you!

guitar2013

Reaction score
Style looks very nice. I will check them out if I happen to visit Korea.
Another question is: how can we get their clothes
facepalm.gif

jedwards

Reaction score
Reading this again, I am surprised they are visiting places like New Zealand before Europe which are not known for their interest in high end tailoring. Australia has pockets of Sydney and Melbourne I suppose.

But surely London is a more obvious travel destination for ROI:

Cost of plane ticket / commissions taken.

How many British people here would commit to ordering something / visiting if they stopped by?
I definitely would as long as the prices were not too far off what they charge in Seoul.

I have been following them for a while now and am quite anxious about the fact that I have not been able to commission something from them in all this time, as their cut reminds me of Liverano (too expensive for me unfortunately).

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads