• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An Interview with B&Tailor

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The vast majority don't. As a Westerner in Korea, I was given lots of leeway.

But cultural faux pas's still had an impact. Most of the times they were slight and on an unconscious level (impressions and such), but I can think of a few times where my blunders--often being direct or misunderstanding another's indirectness--had awkward or negative consequences

jedwards

Reaction score
Generally my experience of Japan was they would say "it is difficult" or some such instead of "NO".

Sometimes as a westerner you just wanna hear "No" though, then you can move on and find another option.

Back on the tailoring thing though, I am shocked that they find Australia more profitable than a UK or US trip, but still.

The Noodles

Skid Fu
Reaction score
Please bear in mind that in Asian culture it is generally considered impolite or unacceptable to answer a question with a strong negation. So, rather than a definitive 'no', it's common to reply with a non-committing yes-like answer that is vague and open to interpretation.
I would not be surprised if bntailor's responses above fall in that category.
Apologies for the off topic discussion but I experienced this first hand.
Korea has hierarchy by age (don't know if there is a term for it) and it means if someone like my father in law (older) tells me to try something, it will be quite impolite for me to flat out say, "No."
But he also understands that I am really an American minded Korean.

I'll be looking forward to my 3 to 4 wk trip to Seoul next year and will lock down a suit from B&TAILOR

Last edited:

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Generally my experience of Japan was they would say "it is difficult" or some such instead of "NO".

Sometimes as a westerner you just wanna hear "No" though, then you can move on and find another option.

Back on the tailoring thing though, I am shocked that they find Australia more profitable than a UK or US trip, but still.

They already have someone working as a fitter for them there, so they don't incur any travel costs.

simian

Reaction score
They already have someone working as a fitter for them there, so they don't incur any travel costs.

My impression was that more than the costs, the time makes it prohibitive.

They seemed fairly stretched in the 10 days I was there, and my sense was that they have all the business they can handle. Unless they expand in a meaningful way, it's difficult to see how they can visit UK/US on a regular basis.

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My impression was that more than the costs, the time makes it prohibitive.

They seemed fairly stretched in the 10 days I was there, and my sense was that they have all the business they can handle. Unless they expand in a meaningful way, it's difficult to see how they can visit UK/US on a regular basis.

With cost I meant time as well. Time=money.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Australia is pretty close to them and they already have a fitter here permanently, so no special trips required. Would cut down on the logistics quite a bit I'd imagine.

steveyoo1983

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Very excited to see these gents here on SF!
There is a gentleman in New York currently working with B&T team to bring them in NYC soon!

(and who knows, maybe San Diego California as well haha)

Last edited:

diadem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If they come to NYC, I'm definitely commissioning something.

CHRK33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Very excited to see these gents here on SF!
There is a gentleman in New York currently working with B&T team to bring them in NYC soon!

(and who knows, maybe San Diego California as well haha)

If they visit San Diego, I am visiting my in-laws that weekend. In for sure

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

If they visit San Diego, I am visiting my in-laws that weekend. In for sure

Would it make sense to come to San Diego? I thought @steveyoo1983 was the only one wearing a suit in the whole city, everyone else is in flips flops and shorts? :D

steveyoo1983

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Would it make sense to come to San Diego? I thought @steveyoo1983 was the only one wearing a suit in the whole city, everyone else is in flips flops and shorts?
biggrin.gif
LOL!! I don't even wear it as much anymore but we can always do bespoke shorts with 2 inch cuffs ;))

the honor roll

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

My name is Chris Tuazon, and I'm a teacher in Shenzhen. Last month, Messrs Park and Joe Ha visited Hong Kong for another trunk show, and were kind enough to sit down and sped time answering my questions. You can read it at the link here: "With My Own Two Hands." I hope you enjoy it. Thanks to Joe for translating or us during the conversation!

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Great interview!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads