• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An Impossible Shoe?

AMC

Reaction score
I'm travelling for the next 2 months. Because of some of the places I'll be going and the way I'll be traveling, I can't take lots of bags (Air Tahiti for instance only allows 20 kilos, or 25 if you show your dive card.) In addition, I'll have to pack for various climates (HOT in Australia, not so hot in London, Tokyo, or Mount Cook, NZ).

In an effort to save weight and space, I'd like to try to bring a pair of double duty shoes.

Any suggestions for a shoe that is comfortable enough to spend the day walking around Sydney, but classy enough to wear with a jacket and tie (or even a suit) for when we want to go to a top restaurant in Tokyo?

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black Gucci horsebit loafers - the classic model. You can't beat them for versatility.

Wholecuts or monkstraps would also work.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
Black Gucci horsebit loafers - the classic model. You can't beat them for versatility.
I never thought these were very versatile.

Wholecuts or monkstraps would also work.

the monkstrap is ok, the wholecut i would leave at home.

basically, i would take something in black, probably a blucher, maybe a monkstrap.

i usually travel with a pair of black a split-toe monkstrap (AE cornell's - works well with suits, dress pants, and dark denim), sandals/flip-flops, and a pair of sneakers if needed. but my trips are usually for no more than 3 days, if i'm not going to my parents place (i keep a number of items at my parents). If going for a longer trip, maybe throw in a pair of black bluchers.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
I never thought these were very versatile.
The Guccis? Well, for me they've worked with every level of formality from jeans through jacket-and-tie and suits to black tie (in a pinch). Also, if you adhere to the black-after-six rule, they're good for evenings. I've even seen people wearing them sockless, with bermuda shorts, although I wouldn't recommend that.

pkincy

Reaction score
One of the secrets of packing light is to keep your basic color to blue/brown or black. That way one pair of shoes would work. I would probably do a fairly dressy but real comfortable loafer/slip on and a captoe. Both in brown or both in black.

And this is the time to use your AEs as you will wear the shoes much more quickly than you will if you wear them with some downtime between wearings. I find this kind of business travel perfect for the ubiquitous blue blazer and a few shirts and few pair of slacks. Versatile as well as comfortable.

Or even better a blue suit with horn buttons that can double as a blue blazer when dressed down. Add a grey and a tan pair of pants and you can go a long way with this look.

You will of necessity have to take a coat so that is going to use a lot of space right there.

Perry

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes - a single-breasted navy suit in a plain cloth would be ideal for versatility. Also consider a darkish corduroy suit.

I'd forgo a topcoat - travel in a Barbour or the like if you need outerwear.

A thin merino turtleneck or two would also work very well - no ironing issues, and they work well with everything from jeans to (well, sometimes) a dark suit.

Things like cheap flip-flops etc. are better bought along the way.

harryx2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Off topic, but I envy you for travelling so much...
smile.gif

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The real problem that I can see is the "comfortable while walking around" part... ( I can only really give an opinion on Tokyo/Japan, because thats what I'm most familiar with)

How long are you going to be in Tokyo, and what are you going to be doing there? Unless you are planning on taking the subway directly to a tourist attraction, and taking it directly home (thus defeating the entire purpose of visiting Tokyo IMO) You are going to want to walk quite a bit. When I'm visiting there I probably end up walking 5+ miles a day. It's not uncommon, if you are visiting people there, or eating in smaller restaraunts or izakaya, to take your shoes off and put them on again 5 or 6 times a day.

In other words, I'd take a pair of (already worn-in but not gross) sneakers or hiking boots, and I'd put some odor absorbing insoles into whatever you are wearing, because you never know when you are going to need to remove your shoes and walk around in your socks. I woudn't take any "new" shoe into Tokyo, ESPECIALLY one with a leather sole, and expect to be able to wear it all day. It's just not realistic unless you are driving, or taking cabs everywhere (unwise unless you speak fluent Japanese and can explain how to get everywhere, and are rich).

well-kept

Reaction score
A few months ago I went on a twelve day trip. Packed two pairs of shoes. Decade-old AE shell cordovan loafers which I never travel without and a newer pair of Peal chukkas with Dainite soles. I found mysaelf wearing the Peals for all but a few hours of the trip. The soles are perfect for any amount of walking. The uppers look casual with jeans and not-quite-elegant with slacks and jacket. If I could only take a single pair, for versatility they're not 100% perfect but they're close.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Mephisto makes many shoes that are basically casual, but can be worn for casual-dress! The solid Brown lace-ups would certainly be a great walking shoe, and could be worn with a suit too.

They are also extremely comfortable as a bonus and if you are going to do a lot of walking and some sight seeing, I think they might be better than Gucci loafers, if not as fashionable.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My personal favourites for this purpose are my RM Williams Chelsea boots.

I wear them on even the hottest days in Sydney. I wore them in the heat wave in New York last summer. I tried shoes but the lack of ankle support in the heat made my feet ache even more and I had to give it up.

When I travel I could choose EGs or JLs but I always find that RMW boots are the most comfortable and versatile footwear I have. They are more comfortable for walking than sneakers. You can wear them with suits (especially the screwed leather soled ones in French veal calf) as well as with casual dress. They are like Swiss army knives.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=21179

EasyGoing

Reaction score

Totally agree.

AMC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
My personal favourites for this purpose are my RM Williams Chelsea boots. I wear them on even the hottest days in Sydney. I wore them in the heat wave in New York last summer. I tried shoes but the lack of ankle support in the heat made my feet ache even more and I had to give it up. When I travel I could choose EGs or JLs but I always find that RMW boots are the most comfortable and versatile footwear I have. They are more comfortable for walking than sneakers. You can wear them with suits (especially the screwed leather soled ones in French veal calf) as well as with casual dress. They are like Swiss army knives. http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=21179
Very nice. Is the Chelsea model discontinued, or did I just not find it on their site? I noticed that, I'll be in just about every place they've got stores- in UK, NSW, QLD, NZ and even NYC. That can't just be a coincidence, can it? Any idea if they're less expensive in OZ or NZ than via the internet?

well-kept

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
When I travel I could choose EGs or JLs but I always find that RMW boots are the most comfortable and versatile footwear I have. They are more comfortable for walking than sneakers. You can wear them with suits (especially the screwed leather soled ones in French veal calf) as well as with casual dress. They are like Swiss army knives.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=21179

I've acquired my first pair of Williams in the last few weeks and I have to agree with you. They're incredibly comfortable. First day out of the box I wore them all day and didn't really want to take them off.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads