• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An iGent asks: how are my jeans?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^yes, just personal preference but they look a bit loose to me. i think when you're dressing like you did up top, you walk a fine line with denim fit. i usually err on the side of too tight. to me, they get a bit middle-aged dad'ish when they get to loose and are paired with a blazer.

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they look ok for a straight leg, but i'd like to see a full pic to see how the hem looks.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I wound up with the 45rpms, but I agree they are much more than I need--and certain details are disappointing. The stitching is terrible: uneven in some places, easily coming loose in others.
facepalm4tn1.jpg
As to dressing without 'soul', I try not to take offense. But I can't help but think it is kind of a cop-out criticism that assumes I am trying to achieve a particular effect. However, I'm not dressing to get attention or make it obvious I spent a lot. For me, quality is a personal experience, fit should be comfortable and natural, and style should be quiet. So, to me, it is a sign of success that someone would look at my clothes and not think anything special of it.
No, I think what he was trying to say is that you look like an old man trying to wear jeans.

landho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of (irrelevant) discussion has centered on his style, jacket, etc. Would like a better shot of the jean in its entirety, perhaps with more closeups; don't think they are as loose or bad as many here are making them out to be.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
your aesthetics are based on price tags and preceding reputations. A plaid Rubinacci sportcoat on a guy wearing 45rpms jeans and aviators is silly. It's only impressive if you talk about how much you paid.

The clothes do not fit you. You're dressing someone that's not yourself, and that's why you lack sprezzatura and look so rigidly mannequinish in your clothes.

Of course you'll disagree because it's easier to fight someone on an Internet forum than it is to suck up the fact that the $1000+ you're wearing isn't worth the price paid.

i have to say i kind of agree with this too.

no gripe or anything. we all can afford some level of consumerism, so if i were to criticize, no, it not out of envy or bitterness,

but from what i get from all the photos and comments from the OP is the sense he is trying too hard to prove something i dont know. i mean, we all have our quirks and obsessions over certain things, but cmon. dont take yourself too seriously.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
naplesjeanss.jpg

Nice picture. I like the scooter. I kinda like the jacket with hanky and I like the sunglasses. But if you really want to show-off or get honest opinions of your jeans, this is an awful pic - the jeans are, what, 5% of the photo? Why not take a good pic of the jeans from waist to cuff to show the fit or lay them flat and get a good pic of the fading?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen this lego man pose at least 20 times and I still don't understand why you stand this way.

lego.jpg

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes but mafoofan always stands this way.

landho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't understand how this thread, which began with an earnest question about denim, has derailed into a series of unwarranted attacks on mafoofan.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
There was no need for mafoofan to start a new thread in the first place. It's almost like he wants to be the center of attention...

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Geeze, I remebered why I stayed out of Streetwear and Denim, everyone is a dueche. (replies to this will read, stay out yada yada)

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
douchebaggery is a 2 way street that SW&D doesnt have a monopoly on

naaaaate

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bhowie
Geeze, I remebered why I stayed out of Streetwear and Denim, everyone is a dueche. (replies to this will read, stay out yada yada)

It's fun opening MC and SW&D in different windows and watching everybody in MC become volcanos of praise spewing forth worshipful compliments at pictures so blurry the suit in question could feasibly be one of those t-shirts with a suit printed on it, then looking over at SW&D and seeing post after post about how the golden age of an internet forum is over and there are no good fits anymore while simultaneously vomitting catty ***** insults at new people who aren't up to snuff causing any potential new person who might end up actually being really awesome to be cast out unless they stick around and then once they do they get told they only look good because the internet forum told them to buy their clothes.

That's exaggeration though and just a joke I'm not trying to burn anyone here. I like these forums & have learned a whole heck of a lot from them
blush.gif

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score

Well, yes, I do like having the best quality I can afford. It puzzles me as to why this puzzles anyone else. For example, I would love to get a Brigg umbrella this year--yet I know I'd only use it a dozen or so times a year and a cheap drugstore umbrella would work just as well. It's just a beautiful object I'd like to enjoy for myself.

Do you live in New York?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads