• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An Idea for Style Forum...

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Seems that we have many members here at different price points and income levels.

This is much the same in quality audio and the solution has been to create a list of "recommended components" every year or six months for recommended gear. Stereophile and The Absolute Sound do this.

I wonder if this might work for us as a sticky thread to have some recommended clothing values by income category and by clothing category (suit, shirt, accessories, shoes, casual wear, etc.). That way a new SF member would have an idea of where to focus their energy whether they are a recent college or high school grad with an entry level position or a senior managing director at an investment bank.

Example:
A senior banker might be recommended bespoke shoes with a list of preferred vendors/brands and price points.
For entry level jobs, maybe AE shoes or like on sale with some info on where one might best find them as above.

This way we can keep a moving list of current recommended clothing items. Maybe we can nominate some of the more knowledgeable experts here to recommend a short list.

What do you think? Would this add value to SF?

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://wiki.styleforum.net/index.php/Main_Page

Your turn.
(and everyone, myself included, just as well
smile.gif
)

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I think this would help. For example the list of denim in the streetwear forum, that's what I used as a valuable starting point. Even though the only pair I still have from that list is my APCs, it was something.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
While sympathetic to the idea of making information more accessible to newcomers, I think one of Styleforum's great strengths is the very lack of consensus on what's the best. Even if a list of recommended vendors or brands could be destilled, I wonder if might somehow hurt the free-for-all discussion that goes on here.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
While sympathetic to the idea of making information more accessible to newcomers, I think one of Styleforum's great strengths is the very lack of consensus on what's the best. Even if a list of recommended vendors or brands could be destilled, I wonder if might somehow hurt the free-for-all discussion that goes on here.

Actually I think it might create more discussion as people argue over who gets included on the list.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Actually I think it might create more discussion as people argue over who gets included on the list.

Ha, perhaps, but it would be followed by fuming and resentment.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score

That happens here all the time so it would emblematic of SF.
smile.gif

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Somebody once brought up the idea of SF annual awards or endorsements of some sort. That's certainly an interesting idea, and one that could even make money for our host (granted at the expense of our impartiality, if that ever existed).

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think a list of what you get for the money to be more useful. Perhaps categories in $500.00 increments. A list of brands stating full fused, half canvass, full canvass, hand finish, machine made, premium cloth, cheap cloth, plastic buttons, trim fit, fuller cut, silhouette, natural shoulder, no pad, big pads, etc. Sorry, I don't know many tailoring terms. Maybe what body type works for which brand as well.

This would eliminate many posts regarding the make of brands or garments and a good reference. This criteria is also objective and can be verified.

My 2 cents

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I think a list of what you get for the money to be more useful. Perhaps categories in $500.00 increments. A list of brands stating full fused, half canvass, full canvass, hand finish, machine made, premium cloth, cheap cloth, plastic buttons, trim fit, fuller cut, silhouette, natural shoulder, no pad, big pads, etc. Sorry, I don't know many tailoring terms. Maybe what body type works for which brand as well.
Mr. Despos, this is what I was envisioning in part.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Easily resolvable. Have the thread permanently housed in the CEsspool, home of fuming and resentment.

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos

This would eliminate many posts regarding the make of brands or garments and a good reference. This criteria is also objective and can be verified.

My 2 cents

+1

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Mr. Despos, this is what I was envisioning in part.

You are a visionary!

the truth

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos

My 2 cents

Good idea Mr. Despos. The only problem I see is that some members don't believe things even when they are laid bare before them, so you could even have a great deal of bitching and moaning over whether certain people actually believe whether their favorite brands meet these qualifications. Nevertheless, I feel it is a good idea and will bear fruit.

TheDroog

Reaction score
I think Artisan Fan's suggestion is an excellent idea.

However, I can also see this thread running amok, as The Truth suggested, with lots of people bitching about why product X is a better value than product Y. The ratio of bad advice to good advice around here is about 1:1 (and sometimes 2:1), so is there any way to ensure the good advice can stand out in any way?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics