• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An experiment in beauty

AnotherVictim

Reaction score
As a cellist of more than half my life, i find this disgusting
confused.gif

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can easily post that I would have stayed and listened, but without actually facing that particular circumstance, I would be lying and so would every one of you. Perhaps one of the 1100 people that walked by noticed that the music was very good and they wanted to stay, but had some other, more pressing matters which to them was more important than listening to music at that particular moment in the history of time.
Meh, good point. If they didn't place him in L'Enfant Station (one of the busiest in DC) it would have been easier to stop and listen but to be honest if I'm at L'Enfant I just want to find my train and go.

JB

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was in Penn the other day and I stopped to read the poetry engraved on the walls.

~ Huntsman

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
I was in Penn the other day and I stopped to read the poetry engraved on the walls.

~ Huntsman

To add proper, gravity to the, post. Commas were, necessary.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
... this was a "perfect storm", and it's a shame that only a handful of people recognized this.

seems to me a perfect storm requires the proper environmental conditions. at least some humidity in the air or something.

Let's look at this the other way around. People in a crowded mass transit situation: what do they do, what are they like? Of necessity, they put blinders on, avoid too much eye contact, and put up the shields required for self-preservation. Sure, people are social animals, but notthat social. Overcrowding creates self-inflicted alienation.

--This means they are generally focused on their mission: get to where you're going. Any dilly-dallying is generally a risk - you are displaying that you are perhaps easily distracted, that you might not have you mind on your business, that maybe you wouldn't notice if someone picked your pocket for example (or worse).

--and the result of that is a set of expectations: that whatever is out there on the way, is not worth the risk of being distracted. Even if it sounds like good music, look: we're in a subway for pete's sake. Untoward things have been known to happen here more occasionally than at, say, a concert hall. So the basic understanding is that NOT stopping to listen to some good music is not a big loss, because indeed the context does mean something. This is not the place to expect people to get all touchy-feely with the rose-smelling. In fact just the opposite.

Is that sad? I don't think so. I can think of at least a couple problems that would arise if everyone were taking time to smell the flowers in the subway station. One (some of you may think this is crass), the amount of work that got done in a day would likely go down. And B, crime would probably go up with all those people becoming softer targets. Maybe people would be happier, but only until they realized their wallets were missing.

I'm all for unexpected beauty, but doesn't this all seem a little disingenuous? Why not set up the dude in a park? Probably because it wouldn't get them the results they wanted.

/andrew - played violin for a couple years in middle school, never could get that whole 'vibrato' skill to happen.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
musicboohoo[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
I was cleaning out my hard drive this morning and I had this article saved. I thought I'd come to see if it was posted here. Obviously SF is on top of it. It's worth a bump for anyone that missed it a couple years back.

Nananine

Reaction score
Old news, won a pulitzer. Also most buskers agreed that Joshua had a stellar take considering the time of day, length of playing, city and location. Fun fact, Joshua Bell holds the Twin Galaxies record for highest score in the Windows-based version of Crystal Caliburn, a medieval-set PC-based pinball game from the 90s. He did it live at a retro gaming competition!

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
What I'm gathering from a bunch of posts is that it's a shame that people didn't stop to admire some classical music that they just happened to pass on their way to work. And again, I'm biased because I'm a violinist myself, but this was so much more than just some random classical music. This wasn't just some average guy or student playing some ordinary violin with intonation problems... this was one of the most talented violinists in the entire world playing some of the most perfect music (Bach Chaconne, Gavotte, etc.) on a 300 year old violin that's valued at $4 million dollars - in other words, the best of the best of the best... this was a "perfect storm", and it's a shame that only a handful of people recognized this.

I could wear be wearing Rubbinaci, Chavret, and John Lobb and walk into a room of a 1,000 people dressed in suits and no one would ever know, recognize, or comment on it. But if someone does, then I suppose it makes it that much more special for the 1 in 1,000 who do.

Not quite the same magnitude, I'm sure, but I get the feeling that SFers can understand the lack of appreciation of quality.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Bach Chaconne is beautiful, but subtle-- the kind of music that rewards patience rather than dazzles immediately. It would have been more interesting to me if he had played some more pyrotechnic Romantic music.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads