• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An Englishman wears shorts and tshirt in the city

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I finally met the owner of the pub I frequent, and it turns out I have seen him occasionally without me knowing he was the owner. This guy is an Englishman, I gathered this from, well, the pub decor and by conversations with the general manager and staff.

He seems to always wear shorts and crummy looking tshirts with some sneakers. He fashions some facial hair in a style I do not care to describe.

I cannot bring myself to patronize this pub any longer. He completely shatters the imagined idyllic English style I and many other Americans hold so dearly in the back of our minds whenever we wear the vestiges of fine English sartorial accomplishments.

Should I tell him that he should dress better or risk losing more customers?

I will forward him a link to this thread if I get the desired responses. Thank You.

supercarl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bringusingoodale
So I finally met the owner of the pub I frequent, and it turns out I have seen him occasionally without me knowing he was the owner. This guy is an Englishman, I gathered this from, well, the pub decor and by conversations with the general manager and staff.

He seems to always wear shorts and crummy looking tshirts with some sneakers. He fashions some facial hair in a style I do not care to describe.

I cannot bring myself to patronize this pub any longer. He completely shatters the imagined idyllic English style I and many other Americans hold so dearly in the back of our minds whenever we wear the vestiges of fine English sartorial accomplishments.

I will forward him a link to this thread if I get the desired responses. Thank You.

Yes, because everyone in England wears a bowler hat and full three piece suit, even when working in factories.

plain.gif

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Poorly dressed people don't deserve your business. If he doesn't care enough about you to dress properly then you have no need to frequent his establishment. Find a pub owner who respects his clientele enough to wear pants.

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
Poorly dressed people don't deserve your business. If he doesn't care enough about you to dress properly then you have no need to frequent his establishment. Find a pub owner who respects his clientele enough to wear pants.
This. Direct, concise true words. My god, seriously. He always wears shorts, and not even those at the knee shorts, but those shorts that only need 5 or so more inches to qualify as ugly ass hell cargo pants. What's worse is that he has a plummy accent.

Kurt N

Reaction score
If you no longer like the pub, you no longer like the pub--so be it. But I can't envision how you're going to share this thread with the owner without coming off like a complete ass.

If you're just trolling (and your post is just loony enough to raise that suspicion), please disregard.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Believe it or not, running a pub is quite a messy business which involves a lot of manual labour. If I were to be a landlord of a pub, I don't think you'd ever find me wearing nice clothes at work.

I've never seen a pub landlord wear anything more than a shirt and tie, even then it's a short sleeve shirt and messy trousers. Do you expect your landlord to wear a suit? Don't be such a bloody snob. If the place is nice and the beer is good, what do you care?

Groover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ich_Dien
Believe it or not, running a pub is quite a messy business which involves a lot of manual labour. If I were to be a landlord of a pub, I don't think you'd ever find me wearing nice clothes at work.

I've never seen a pub landlord wear anything more than a shirt and tie, even then it's a short sleeve shirt and messy trousers. Do you expect your landlord to wear a suit? Don't be such a bloody snob. If the place is nice and the beer is good, what do you care?

+1

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the pub in the U.S.?
If so, maybe the innkeeper is a nice Englishman trying to adapt to local style, and refraining from wearing his lounge suits except for when being at home, so as not to cause a weird impression on the local public?
Also, I believe that in England you have quite a lot of different kinds of pubs. I remember one where you could watch free live striptease while enjoying your afternoon bear. The people hanging out there did not wear even lounge suits, nor did the owner.
I personally like the owner and all employees to look properly dressed; this does not mean that they have to wear suits, but generally it certainly excludes shorts. I do not think that I would end up as a regular customer in any place where the owner or the waiters were wearing shorts, except for beach bars.

kev777

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ich_Dien

+2

Groover

Reaction score
give me a couple of hours in the pub and I struggle to remember what anyone is wearing. Jeez, chill the **** out, have beer and party on

IronRock

Reaction score
The only, ONLY, thing I agree with the OP about is the 3/4 length short things. Freaking hate them. Otherwise ....
facepalm.gif

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ich_Dien speaks the truth, but I suspect you are not being entirely serious. The landlords job is to make sure there is a convivial atmosphere, decent beer and maybe decent food. If it has all that he is doing a good job and you can disregard his appearance and consider yourself lucky. I wish I had a decent pub near my house.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bringusingoodale

No I would think I he would be better off without you.

I have rarely read/heard such a shallow note. As a later poster says, all Englishmen should wear morning suits, bowlers and carry a furled black umbrella whenever they dare to leave the privacy of their houses.

Chill out or clear off - troll comes to mind

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads