Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

An Englishman wears shorts and tshirt in the city

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bringusingoodale, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

Is that what they call a teddy?

I lost my teddy bear. Will you sleep with me?

2. bringusingoodale

bringusingoodale Senior member

Don't want to multiqoute, but I will sum it up.

I understand that he isn't running a men's clothing shop, so I shouldn't expect him in a lounge suit. But like some of you have said, at the very least wear some trousers and at least those "fancy" sneakers that don't look like you just ran a marathon in. He is not involved in running the pub for business, he just hangs around.

Someone raised a good point, that the owner is just somewhat of a symbolic figure that brings the money and such. You are right, the staff and bartenders are a pleasure to deal with.

But this cuts both ways, the owner doesn't matter much in practical terms, the times I see him, he just hangs around, being friendly and behaving like you'd expect an owner of an establishment to behave. But he matters very much in symbolic terms. If more than half of his clientele comes in (presumably after work) dressed decently, and the other half wear decent looking jeans and OCBD, why the hell is he looking like a schlub?

I know he can dress however he wants. But he seems to want to stand out by looking like a schlub. I don't mind much when people affect an "overdressed" mein, but the slob-bum-look on a 40 something year old man just doesn't sit well with me, especially since he is English. Call me absurd, mentally unstable, but this is what I feel.

3. winston

winston Senior member

My goodness! Not only should his business be shunned, but his establishment should probably be burnt to the ground and some physical blows delivered about his person.

4. thunderthighs

thunderthighs Well-Known Member

Yes, because everyone in England wears a bowler hat and full three piece suit, even when working in factories.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Racing Green

Racing Green Senior member

he just hangs around, being friendly and behaving like you'd expect an owner of an establishment to behave.

The utter bastard!

6. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

My goodness! Not only should his business be shunned, but his establishment should probably be burnt to the ground and some physical blows delivered about his person.

A sartorial Kristallnacht is needed immediately...

Let's put our best Hugo Boss suits and burn the place down.

7. jaypee

jaypee Senior member

So I finally met the owner of the pub I frequent, and it turns out I have seen him occasionally without me knowing he was the owner. This guy is an Englishman, I gathered this from, well, the pub decor and by conversations with the general manager and staff.

He seems to always wear shorts and crummy looking tshirts with some sneakers. He fashions some facial hair in a style I do not care to describe.

I cannot bring myself to patronize this pub any longer. He completely shatters the imagined idyllic English style I and many other Americans hold so dearly in the back of our minds whenever we wear the vestiges of fine English sartorial accomplishments.

Should I tell him that he should dress better or risk losing more customers?

I will forward him a link to this thread if I get the desired responses. Thank You.

You're dead set a few toes short of a foot

8. Tangfastic

Tangfastic Senior member

Are you in SF op? If so, with that climate he is quite correctly attired. People in England only ever wear 3 piece suits and bowler hats because of the damp, chill weather. Once removed from this environment there is no need to wrap up, or even wear long trousers.

9. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

Are you in SF op? If so, with that climate he is quite correctly attired. People in England only ever wear 3 piece suits and bowler hats because of the damp, chill weather. Once removed from this environment there is no need to wrap up, or even wear long trousers.

You must be joking if you think that SF is not damp and chilly this time of the year, even if occasionally.

10. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

What a dumb thread. OP is a troll.

11. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Having been to England, and travelled all over destinations not involving central London, I can say prepare for a shock!

Yes there are quaint little villages and towns, but if you go to the average Kent town, or some parts of London off the tourist trail (or anywhere within a stones throw of M25) - all of your fairytale visions of England would be ceremoniously squashed!

While there are certainly numerous stylish dudes in England, the general person is more Onslo / Rab C Nesbitt like than a sartorialist.

For reference, Onslo is the fat dude in a vest in that English show "keeping up appearances".

12. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

What a dumb life. OP was a troll.

FTFY Epitaph.

13. blahman

blahman Senior member

I lost my teddy bear. Will you sleep with me?
    I'm so going to try that line next week.

14. Tangfastic

Tangfastic Senior member

You must be joking if you think that SF is not damp and chilly this time of the year, even if occasionally.
    If you think 12 degrees C and light rain is damp and chilly, you have never been to England, that is t-shirt weather here.

15. Nicola

Nicola Senior member