Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

An Englishman wears shorts and tshirt in the city

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bringusingoodale, Feb 11, 2011.

1. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Yes, because everyone in England wears a bowler hat and full three piece suit, even when working in factories.

[​IMG]

Especially when working in factories...

Don't come to Englad outside Mayfair or the Mid-counties, you would have a shock...

2. apropos

apropos Senior member

Yes, because everyone in England wears a bowler hat and full three piece suit, even when working in factories.

[​IMG]

This is a cruel joke, as everyone knows that there are no more factories in England.

3. lovelux2010

lovelux2010 Senior member

this person does not have to hold up to your idyllic version of English Style, they do not owe you anything. However, if you feel his dress lets down the pub, perhaps you should let him know. If he puts on even an old pair of cords and a cheap dress shirt..at least its some kind of effort. I am not a major fan of shorts myself...it does show a lack of care/effort.

The other part of me thinks, hey, what does it matter.If someone has a good heart, who really cares what they wear..
    The standard of dress globally is so low now...thankfully through sites like stylefoum i've been able to educate myself and appear presentable (at least i hope so)...but the reality is most of society have "given up" on sartorial matters...but who are we to judge.

So I finally met the owner of the pub I frequent, and it turns out I have seen him occasionally without me knowing he was the owner. This guy is an Englishman, I gathered this from, well, the pub decor and by conversations with the general manager and staff.

He seems to always wear shorts and crummy looking tshirts with some sneakers. He fashions some facial hair in a style I do not care to describe.

I cannot bring myself to patronize this pub any longer. He completely shatters the imagined idyllic English style I and many other Americans hold so dearly in the back of our minds whenever we wear the vestiges of fine English sartorial accomplishments.

Should I tell him that he should dress better or risk losing more customers?

I will forward him a link to this thread if I get the desired responses. Thank You.

4. twistoffat

twistoffat Senior member

To be honest if you liked his establishment and the staff and people there I wouldn´t be too worried about what the owner wore. Mostly the Bar owners are often only the money bringer and its the head barman that does all the work

5. upnorth

upnorth Senior member

I think the OP wants to drink in a pub that charges £8.40 for a pint of ale served to him by an owner immaculately dressed in a 3 piece suit.

6. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

I think the OP wants to drink in a pub that charges £8.40 for a pint of ale served to him by an owner immaculately dressed in a 3 piece suit.

Would be interesting to say the least.

7. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I would like very much to do this.

The bar that I frequent, the owner dresses really cool. It is sort of upscale rockabilly. It is his own thing from what I can tell. I like that he makes all of the bartenders and waitresses wear white dress shirts.

I have had people there ask me if I was the owner before. It must be the suit. A guy once told the guy at the door that he wanted to punch, "the owner over there in the grey suit" in the face for checking out his sister. That man checking out the sister, I am proud to say, was me. [​IMG]

8. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

Poorly dressed people don't deserve your business. If he doesn't care enough about you to dress properly then you have no need to frequent his establishment. Find a pub owner who respects his clientele enough to wear pants.

I think that about covers it!

9. Kurt N

Kurt N Senior member

This conversation moved right along, didn't it? I got hung up trying to visualize this part.

... I remember one where you could watch free live striptease while enjoying your afternoon bear.

10. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

I remember one where you could watch free live striptease while enjoying your afternoon bear.
    This conversation moved right along, didn't it? I got hung up trying to visualize this part.

[​IMG]

11. rfranca

rfranca Member

Believe it or not, running a pub is quite a messy business which involves a lot of manual labour. If I were to be a landlord of a pub, I don't think you'd ever find me wearing nice clothes at work.

I've never seen a pub landlord wear anything more than a shirt and tie, even then it's a short sleeve shirt and messy trousers. Do you expect your landlord to wear a suit? Don't be such a bloody snob. If the place is nice and the beer is good, what do you care?

+1

12. D Yizz

D Yizz Senior member

That's why I wear suits 7 days a week even when out to buy groceries. Dont want to lose clients by ruining their idyllic image of a serious attorney.

13. Kurt N

Kurt N Senior member

[​IMG]

Is that what they call a teddy?

14. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

That's why I wear suits 7 days a week even when out to buy groceries. Dont want to lose clients by ruining their idyllic image of a serious attorney.

I do that and I am not even in a client based industry.

15. D Yizz

D Yizz Senior member

It's all about the image.