An Economist Takes a Shot at Explaining why Americans Tend to Dress Badly...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by pinchi22, Sep 14, 2012.

1. pinchi22

pinchi22 Senior member

2. Stugotes

Stugotes Senior member

I call BS. People in Europe (yes, even some Italians) dress like shit for the most part. Especially the young ones look like the same as their American counterparts in skate/surf/sports attire.

Middle aged people in a normal/more formal work environment wear shoes like this:

[​IMG]

Being European, I don't think the difference is as big as depicted in that blog.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012

3. Pingson

Pingson Senior member

I'm not so sure I think Europeans are that much better dressed. I work at a middle-sized university in northern Europe, and on a good day of dressing my colleagues wear clothes that are not ripped, frayed and that have seen the washing machine at least once this past fortnight. But that is on a good day......

4. StumpjumperE

StumpjumperE Senior member

I didn't read the article, but my best friend and I visited London for a week and a half about a year ago. Both of us were very impressed by the way the London men dressed. Every place we went, we looked obviously dressed down in our jeans and casual shirts.

My assumption is that a lot of these guys were at the local watering hole right after work, but man, a significant percentage of them looked very sharp.

5. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

[​IMG]

6. Balfour

Balfour Senior member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. Chuck Daly

Chuck Daly New Member

I don't necessarily agree with the autho, but one thing I notice is the lack of events requiring a suit in american social life. An american male can go through life today only wearing a tuxedo for their wedding and/or funeral. Social affairs are almost never black tie anymore and even churches have gone casual with even clergy rarely wearing suits. Remember casual Fridays, anyone?

One benefit today, is being the only man in a suit makes it much easier to pick up the fairest girl at an event or gathering.