• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An eBay case: I throw myself at the mercy of the SF jury

Navi

Reaction score
holy **** you whiny little ******

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Generally with d'bay when you get into these long running conversations, they dont end well.

IMO, the dude should have given you the $20. I dont have time to read all that ****, but it seems like you negged him on the feedback. Have him give you the $20 and revise the feedback to +. --> /thread.

Also, you're getting hammered, but I dont think your being a dick, I think you honestly want to keep the suit. Its not unreasonable to demand a correct description. If I was you, I'd have waited until this was completely solved before leaving feedback.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LooknGr8
Act IV Me: I put this whole matter to some impartial, experienced eBayers and they all agreed with you. Not even one sliver of sympathy for me. So I apologize for my conduct in this matter and will be more lenient toward sellers like you in the future.
what does this mean?

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grrrrr
facepalm.gif
You bought a suit, you got the suit, minor complaint on pants length, and now throw a fit of intellectual gymnastics and ethics. Comon, you buy any suit, it is given it will need some alterations to fit. Why should it be any different with a second hand suit?

LooknGr8

Reaction score
One last note: While it might seem masochistic on my part, the thing that I appreciate about SF is that people let it fly and don't sugarcoat things. I know where people stand. That was easy.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've only sold the occasional thing on Ebay. From what I understand, anything less than a five-star rating can have significant consequences to the seller, no? maybe one of the more active Ebay sellers can weigh in. Recently my hospital instituted a similar policy to measure patient satisfaction. You're graded on a series of questions, 1 to 5, and if you're not all 5s in every question the hospital gets pissed. Never understood why they bother including anything but 1 or 5...
Originally Posted by Klobber
Comon, you buy any suit, it is given it will need some alterations to fit
facepalm.gif
Why should it be any different with a second hand suit?

That's what I was thinking... Every RTW suit needs alterations to some degree or another.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

versusqc

Reaction score
Firstly, I don't think the price you paid or the value of the item is relevant here, as you won the auction and are by then entitled of the described item. Other than that, you both have reasonable arguments, however I do think he "made it right" when he offered a refund in act 1.

You shouldn't have altered the pants before informing it, for sure - a picture of the pants, measuring the inseam with a tailor tape would IMO give us the necessary proof to clear any doubt on his mistake, and it would have then been fair to request a partial refund for the alterations, or return shipping.

EDIT: Oh wow, forgot to refresh before posting this, so sorry if I repeat what have already been said by the other posters -_-

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by idfnl
Generally with d'bay when you get into these long running conversations, they dont end well.

IMO, the dude should have given you the $20. I dont have time to read all that ****, but it seems like you negged him on the feedback. Have him give you the $20 and revise the feedback to +. --> /thread.

Also, you're getting hammered, but I dont think your being a dick, I think you honestly want to keep the suit. Its not unreasonable to demand a correct description. If I was you, I'd have waited until this was completely solved before leaving feedback.

What? Are you crazy? No way he should get $20...

He's the guy who orders a bowl of soup, eats the whole thing, then goes up to the counter and says "hey it was kind of lukewarm, I have a very popular Yelp ID, now what do you think of that?"

**** you

BTW, you are a scammer, and it is 100% a problem for you in your life. You are the worst kind of thief, the kind that can justify it in his own pea-sized selfish brain to himself.

LooknGr8

Reaction score
No, that was the apology I sent to the seller after reading the others' evaluation of my, er, attitude. Pasted in to show you all that I am at least a reasonable whiny passive-aggressive little ******/twat/etc.

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That was a half-assed apology. What exactly does "sellers like you" mean? It sounds more like an insult than an apology.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tim_horton
I've only sold the occasional thing on Ebay. From what I understand, anything less than a five-star rating can have significant consequences to the seller, no? maybe one of the more active Ebay sellers can weigh in.

Every policy cycle these become more and more important.

The matter for ranking in search results, top rated seller status, and your fee discounts.

Its easy to maintain a good seller rating: honestly rate your stuff, take responsibility when you muck it up, respond quickly - especially to problems, and be polite even when someone is upset.

VMan in this respect is world class, has an issue with a shirt and he solved it within 5 minutes of sending him a note. Now that's the way to do it.

LooknGr8

Reaction score
No harm meant, Mute.

I should have just said "sellers," period.

Anyway, thanks for your input. Unvarnished = good.

Carry on.

I'm out, as they say on the Jim Rome show.

csoukoulis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LooknGr8
Act IV

Me: I put this whole matter to some impartial, experienced eBayers and they all agreed with you. Not even one sliver of sympathy for me.

So I apologize for my conduct in this matter and will be more lenient toward sellers like you in the future.

you should edit the feedback if possible. Also whats your eBay bidder id so I can block you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads