• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An American has Moved to London..Have Some Questions

Kevin24

Reaction score
I just moved to London about 2 weeks ago and I am still getting settled in. However, I had some basic menswear related questions about living here. As I know it's a massive city with a massive clothing scene catering to a wide variety of interests...So I don't know where to start?

1) Can anyone recommend a good reasonably priced tailor in the City or Greater London area?

2) Moving over here I had to leave some important pieces behind due to space/shipping requirements. Specifically, I was wondering if anyone could recommend where I could get some good sport shirts under £80. I was thinking Ehaberdasher, or the Polo Ralph Lauren Outlet in Bicester Village(idk if the fit on ether of these would work). I was considering popping into Charles tyrwhitt but has it really reached Jos A. Bank levels of quality?

3). I come from the DC area and was a big fan of WM Fox and Co. a good classic men's store in downtown. Is there something like this in London?

Thank you very much in advance for your suggestions!

zunker

Reaction score
Have a look at the shops along Jermyn street or gieves and hawkes on saville row. Plenty of fairly priced rtw amongst the more expensive stuff.

For boutique shops, Personally would recommend trunk clothiers in chiltern street, drakes near Savile row and slowear Marylebone high street, but they can be pricey.

Professor_3

Reaction score
Con
I just moved to London about 2 weeks ago and I am still getting settled in. However, I had some basic menswear related questions about living here. As I know it's a massive city with a massive clothing scene catering to a wide variety of interests...So I don't know where to start?

1) Can anyone recommend a good reasonably priced tailor in the City or Greater London area?

2) Moving over here I had to leave some important pieces behind due to space/shipping requirements. Specifically, I was wondering if anyone could recommend where I could get some good sport shirts under £80. I was thinking Ehaberdasher, or the Polo Ralph Lauren Outlet in Bicester Village(idk if the fit on ether of these would work). I was considering popping into Charles tyrwhitt but has it really reached Jos A. Bank levels of quality?

3). I come from the DC area and was a big fan of WM Fox and Co. a good classic men's store in downtown. Is there something like this in London?

Thank you very much in advance for your suggestions!

Congratulations on your move! My wife and I were in London for two weeks in May and although we've both been several times we actually discussed moving there. Keep us posted on your new life.

I would definitely recommend a trip to Wimbledon Village to see Ben at eHaberdashery. Unfortunately, Ben wasn't there the day we visited but the young man minding the store in Ben's absence was very knowledgeable. I was able to try on a few items but ultimately settled on a shirt and a few ties. I understand they're starting a MTM service which is exciting.

Hopefully, they'll open a brick and mortar store in the states.

Cheers

Maljunulo

Reaction score
I think you'll find that having a rudimentary grasp of the fundamentals of the language will make it rather easy to get along.

Maljunulo

Reaction score
Whats that mean lol?

It means that since you presumably are a native speaker of the North American dialect of English, you should get along quite well, and only provoke an occasional smile or blank look due to accent or different idiomatic expressions.

Last edited:

paxonus

Reaction score
Take no notice. We love taking the mickey out of Americans while we self destruct.
‘We have really everything in common with America nowadays except, of course, language."
--Oscar Wilde

TheLondoner

Reaction score
There are so many...

Thom Sweeney (Bond Street).

Volpe in Pimlico is less well-know but very good.

The cheaper independent tailors outsource part of the process to cheaper countries. Depending on your point of view, budget and level of snobbery, this can be a good compromise, or a sign that civilisation as we know it is coming to an end. :)
E.g. Cad & The Dandy (Saville Row and the City); founded by two ex-finance guys with family connections to the industry.

Charles Tyrwhitt and TM Lewin make very good shirts at those price points. Especially their non-iron range, which, again, may be a sign that civilisation is coming to an end, but is very convenient. Pink is a little better in terms of quality, and more expensive.
I'd also pay a visit to Boggi on Jermyn street, and the usual department stores with all the usual suspects in terms of brands (Selfridges, Harrods, or, if you're looking for something less expensive, John Lewis).

Are you obeying the 'no brown in town' rule (which, btw, I don't personally much approve of)?

Out of curiosity, what do you think of the style of the people in London vs DC? Most Londoners seem to me quite scruffy, at least compared to how people dress in Milan, Paris or Madrid. Things like checked shirts which resemble grandma's table cloths, or short jackets/gilets worn over a blazer, with the bottom of the blazer poking out, would be inconceivable there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics