• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An amazing Oxxford (see inside)

kcc

Reaction score
First time I've seen an Oxxford garment with such a high gorge.

anamazingoxxford20nv.jpg

frontal view

anamazingoxxford6as.jpg

BTW, I saw this on ebay. I'm not the seller.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So how are you going to button this thing if the lapel rolls past the top button?

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, someone help me here: There is a tag behind the lapel, but there are buttons on the cuff. If the suit is still new enough to have tags, shouldn't it be button-less on the cuffs? Or am I just reading too much into this?

GMF

Reaction score
I guess I'm a little confused. This suit looks like it has a low gorge. Is my understanding of "gorge" 180 degrees off?

Still learning the lingo...
confused.gif

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Low gorges that people think are high are in now
lookaround.gif

It has a nice silo which is what matters for long term. (for an Oxxford I guess)

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Gorge

The Gorge is a technical term that defines the distance between the shoulders of the suit and the first button. Gorges change from season to season, and are just a function of personal and designer style. A high gorge means the first button is placed high on the suit. Hence why 3 buttons are as timeless as sex as the gorge placement is not a noticeable as say the 2 button imo. there are always exceptions.

Duveen

Reaction score
I believe that the gorge is the little notch in the lapel, and that what Soph is referring to is the buttoning point/buttoning stance. Am I wrong? Only reason I think this is that I had the same understanding as Soph, posted it and was corrected...

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Duveen
I believe that the gorge is the little notch in the lapel, and that what Soph is referring to is the buttoning point/buttoning stance. Am I wrong? Only reason I think this is that I had the same understanding as Soph, posted it and was corrected...
The gorge is the notch of the lapel or point where lapel and collar meet, and the gorge height is the relative distance from that to the shoulder of the coat.

The button stance or buttoning point is the depth of the V in front formed by the lapels meeting at the active button or top button.

This coat appears to have a pretty high gorge, but if a picture is taken of any coat with a wide angle lens from a low angle, it will cause this effect. It's foreshortening. This makes it hard to judge proportions from a photo.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
So how are you going to button this thing if the lapel rolls past the top button?

10-p23.jpg

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The wide angle lens used does affect the proportions, but there is no doubt the gorge is very high. It's a bit extreme. Along with the buttoning point, it seems Oxxford was trying too hard.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
The wide angle lens used does affect the proportions, but there is no doubt the gorge is very high. It's a bit extreme. Along with the buttoning point, it seems Oxxford was trying too hard.

---Its interesting; not your father's Oxxford

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
10-p23.jpg

-Cary looks utterly ridic in that photo and he has pocket square to spare. The guy could have worn a trashbag and looked decent though with that mugg of his.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
With some steam that roll should pop back where it goes. The Oxxford lapel doesn't roll through the working button.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Soph
---Its interesting; not your father's Oxxford

Until I have more information, I'm not even convinced it's a real Oxxford.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads