• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nice Ed! 👍🏻
here is something ive been wondering for a while...

I can't get a good dimple in my ties to save my life. As you know and see, yours knot up wonderfully. Is there something with your ties specifically, and ties in general, that impacts dimpleage?

Amidé

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
here is something ive been wondering for a while...

I can't get a good dimple in my ties to save my life. As you know and see, yours knot up wonderfully. Is there something with your ties specifically, and ties in general, that impacts dimpleage?
There are two main factors, the tie and the man.
As for the tie, it is important that the weight and type of interlining is adjusted for the tie fabric. My Italian tie makers are experts in this, as they have been making ties for 50 years or so.
As for the man, obviously it helps when you guide the tie through the final loop in a way that it will kind of automatically pull into a dimpled knot. On some ties by other makers I can imagine this will still be a struggle though.
The only struggle we encounter with our ties is with brand new handprinted ancient madder ties. The silk is so chalky at first that it will not easily slip through the knot when tying. This will however improve significantly after a few wears.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There are two main factors, the tie and the man.
As for the tie, it is important that the weight and type of interlining is adjusted for the tie fabric. My Italian tie makers are experts in this, as they have been making ties for 50 years or so.
As for the man, obviously it helps when you guide the tie through the final loop in a way that it will kind of automatically pull into a dimpled knot. On some ties by other makers I can imagine this will still be a struggle though.
The only struggle we encounter with our ties is with brand new handprinted ancient madder ties. The silk is so chalky at first that it will not easily slip through the knot when tying. This will however improve significantly after a few wears.
How dare you imply i am anything other than perfect

Amidé

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
How dare you imply i am anything other than perfect
This was more in general Ed. You, being perfect, didn’t see any new insights in my previous reply, I’m quite sure!

MattyS

Reaction score
I was wondering about that when I purchased one of your ancient madder ties! It has already started to improve after a couple of wears; it's good to know it wasn't just mine. (The tie is gorgeous.)

Amidé

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I was wondering about that when I purchased one of your ancient madder ties! It has already started to improve after a couple of wears; it's good to know it wasn't just mine. (The tie is gorgeous.)
Glad you like it!
No, it’s not just yours, we all have the same experience for that matter. Ancient madder has a chalky finish, and especially the ones printed by Adamley - like ours - are very ‘dry’ when new. But as you’ve experienced yourself, knotting these will become easier after some wears.

Amidé

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
New repp ties coming in next month!

4816ECD1-B5A8-4C74-825E-760E4CB335C3.jpeg

Amidé

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
We’ve just received the return of one of our button down denim shirts a Styleforum member bought during Black Friday. The shirt is unworn, but since he stuffed it in a small envelope for the return shipment, it will be hard to press it back to ‘as new’ condition. In case someone is interested to pick it up as is - obviously at a special price - shoot me a personal message. Shirt size is 37cm (or 14 1/2”).

C6E33194-CFE4-486B-989F-0AE15EE81731.jpeg
4743BC9A-BAEA-48DE-91C9-2B7434631637.jpeg
FA377473-2EAB-4866-A181-972C3E3AA3E8.jpeg

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We’ve just received the return of one of our button down denim shirts a Styleforum member bought during Black Friday. The shirt is unworn, but since he stuffed it in a small envelope for the return shipment, it will be hard to press it back to ‘as new’ condition. In case someone is interested to pick it up as is - obviously at a special price - shoot me a personal message. Shirt size is 37cm (or 14 1/2”).

View attachment 1766635 View attachment 1766636 View attachment 1766637
Guys, I know that return shipping can be expensive, but c'mon, let's try to be a bit classier, please?

Amidé

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Summer vibes at the office, as well as in Napoli at Sartoria Tofani, with our new shantung/repp tie in mint!

A165AA38-39F6-42C5-9024-6D4DC0A685DA.jpeg
1A0E60F4-2186-400F-A089-85C80F82AFA3.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads