Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Amex Points: Worth it?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by Douglas, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

I have a company Amex card. We give them to everyone who travels and what-not. As a company, we all have the straight-up green cards.

I have considered paying the money out-of-pocket to accumulate points and use the rewards program. I spend easily $25K/year on this card.

What kind of rewards can I get? Is it worth it?

I am sure some of you may also be knowledgeable about larger corporate programs. I'm hesitant to get into all that because our culture is very conservative and we don't really want to incentivize card spend or create other distortions in how things are done, but I would be willing to hear some recommendations if people have any.

2. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Senior member

I have a it on a personal green card and it's worth the $50 or $75 annual fee.

The best value are gift cards for dozens of chains from Home Depot to Brooks Brothers.

5,000 points (ie charging $5,000 to you card) can be redeemed for a $50 gift card and so on. They occasionally have sales where you can get a $100 gift card for 7,500 points.

One of the best non-green AMEX reward cards is the Starwoods Hotel one. The redemption rate is very good compared to competitors. 10,000 to 12,000 points can get you a free night at a pretty decent Sheraton, Westin, etc.

3. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

I have the Gold Rewards card and I don't really think it's worth the fee ($150) as I only use the points for travel. Dying to switch to a Mileageplus visa since I'm a member of the program but I'm gonna miss Amex customer service and how often it gets me laid.

4. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member

In your case, it's simple math. $25k spend = at least 25k points Those points can be converted into at least $250 in gift cards, or you can save them and apply them toward travel (where you tend to get the biggest bang for your...points).

5. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

ya. plus you get other benefits which you may or may not get through your other cards/insurance.

I have a gold rewards and for me the annual fee is paid for if I travel once a year (the cost of the travel health insurance i don't have to buy) or rent a car a few times. The points are gravy, but even having said that, break even just on points is at about 9k spending for me given I spend at least 5k/yr on travel (since you get double points for travel/hotels). Can't remember the benefits you get from the green vs gold rewards, but it's pretty easy to figure out the math as john galt has done. If the majority of that 25k is travel/hotels you could be looking at 50k pts/yr. That's definitely worth it imo.

6. rollafan

rollafan Senior member

Absolutely agree. I wish Amex did not end their partnership with Continental. Well, ANA & Aero will do for now.

7. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

My wife and I have a Starwood Preferred Guest AmEx. I think the fee is $65/year. We put all our monthly bills (except our mortgage and condo fees) and virtually all other spending on it. Then we pay in full with every bill. We rack up massive points. Every dollar is a point; and you can get like triple points if you use the card at a Starwood hotel. So we're banking a lot of points for a big trip/longer stay somewhere (maybe Whistler or Mt. Tremblant).

We like it a lot.

8. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Hm. Just got approved for United Mileageplus card. Every purchase goes toward points to my mileage program and lower annual fee. I guess I'm gonna drop my amex :( Will miss their great service.

9. Saltricks

Saltricks Senior member

Anyone have a platinum? Is it worth the upgrade from a gold?

10. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member

it really depends on your travel patterns

11. merkur

merkur Senior member

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011

12. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

you earn multiples through the amex shopping portal , for brooks brothers, best buy, apple, etc etc, which can add up significantly

the points are best used to transfer to airline miles

whether gold and/or platinum is worth the upgrade depends on one's travel pattern. in many cases, it is. also, gold and platinum have more benefits, and higher coverages on certain feature (e.g. purchase protection)

SPG card is good. the SPG points are very flexibile. arguably, it's a better value than gold or platinum. but again, depends on one's travel pattern, and favored airline.