• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Amex Dispute advice

whusurdadi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok...
I made a decent sized purchase ($1336) of a watch off of ebay a few months back, and it was pretty messed up. Like $500 worth of repairs were needed - so I offered to split it 50/50 with the guy.
I emailed the guy about six times about it until he finally responded - "too bad - caveat emptor - that's what happens when you buy off ebay"...
So I opened a paypal dispute (which of course is pointless) and lost since the auction never said it wasn't damaged (what the hell?)...
So off to AMEX...they just told me this morning that they're crediting my card for the full $1336!
What should I do - can I keep it?
decisions.gif

Thanks for any advice/input...

whusurdadi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
keep it. return the watch. im glad it worked out for you. next time dont buy a watch, electronic device, or car off ebay !

keep the money and the watch
devil.gif
?
I spend like $40k a month on watches on ebay...

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MEX is always good about this sort of thing. Anytime I've called when a store was slow to credit my account for a return they readily offer to open a billing dispute and credit my account for the purchase immediately. Anytime I buy online I use AMEX.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Amex will almost always side with the cardholder no matter what. It's insane.

Are they going to take the money from the seller though?

Keep the watch and tell the guy to go ************.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should hold onto the watch because Amex disputes can be reversed later on. Don't put money into it to fix it up.

The seller or paypal may request that you send the watch back, in which case you should.

If they don't (I would say 6 months is long enough to wait), you can sell it as-is and get some cash out of that.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
what's going to happen is the cc will take the funds from paypal. and in return, paypal (even though they sided with the seller) will take the money from the seller.

that is the part i hate about paypal. they claim seller protection, and in that case, the money should be coming from themselves as an insurance to the seller. not pass the chargeback to the seller.

that is why i say return the watch. i know he may be a jerk but that is besides the case.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have seen it go both ways:

I bought something on ebay, seller never shipped, clear fraud but paypal sided with the buyer, I filed chargeback, won, and paypal didn't fight it.

vs.

I sold a brand new pair of shoes, new in box, listing clearly said no refunds - credit only, buyer had remorse, he shipped the shoes back to me, I told him credit only, buyer filed paypal dispute and won his money back, and I had to pay that money back.

In each case, you can see, nobody gets both the item AND the money. That's why you can wait it out, but I wouldn't expect to keep the item.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never tried with Amex on ebay, but they are so good that they have always given me money back. I know some people who will max out their $2k in basic disputes every year by saying they never received stuff they really did.

None of my friends have ever gotten their money back from ebay. I think they use Citi Mastercard and Discover mostly. They usually only get 50% back from Paypal transactions. I'll be sure to use my Amex from now on though.

whusurdadi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
Never tried with Amex on ebay, but they are so good that they have always given me money back. I know some people who will max out their $2k in basic disputes every year by saying they never received stuff they really did.
there's really a $2k limit - I've for sure gone well over the $2k in disputes! most of my disputes are $3500+ apiece!

Night Owl

Reaction score
Seller is an asshole. I'd keep the watch. If you need to return it, give it a good going over with a dremel first.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whusurdadi
there's really a $2k limit - I've for sure gone well over the $2k in disputes!
most of my disputes are $3500+ apiece!

I believe the $2K limit is for no questions asked disputes.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector

Isnt that fraud?

Im no saint but I do get pissed when people try and milk the system like that. The system is set up for when you really get fucked over, not to get a $2,000 bonus at a cost to company/cardholders.

Its like unemployment, its great for when you need it (believe me) but I get pissed when bums just milk the system.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've tried to dispute a $150 hotel bill, and they only did $50 of it for me. It was the only Amex dispute I have ever attempted.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Paypal screwed me out of almost 2 grand before when they sided with sellers who didn't send their laptops after the purchase. A call to Amex solved the problem, no questions asked. I make all of my eBay purchases with Amex now. It's annoying because of all the extra clicking you have to do to get Paypal to charge your Amex card, but it's all worth it.

As for the watch, send it back and notify paypal. If they get charged back from Amex, maybe that'll motivate their ass and they'll go after the seller.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads