• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

America's Best Dressed Man

izlat

Reaction score
I ran into an article in Esquire, I think

Seems there's a show and there were some photos - have you guys seen this?

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am guessing it was Soph, or they got it wrong.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Isn't that Asian guy on Fedora Lounge or whatever?
I don't consider him a "real" man.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK...just perused it. Am I on Candid Camera? This is a joke, right? These aren't really finalists....are they? Wasn't Foxx up for this, and they are putting these clowns forward?

This was my favorite:

Big day. My agency pitch is prepared -- it's perfect. Now it's all about presentation. What I'm wearing says everything before I say anything. The fabrics, leathers, and metals have the power of speech. They say, This isn't my first big pitch. It's not my last. I'm confident, not cocky, comfortable in my Italian leather shoes. My rolled-up sleeves confirm I mean business, yet the cuff links on the table show we can relax. The diamond solitaire fountain pen says I've accomplished success, the way I'm holding it implies it wasn't easy. Nothing worthwhile ever is. Let's begin. I'm Mladen Djankovic."

izlat

Reaction score
Ya - this was too funny
bounce2.gif

and yes, they are the finalists, from what I understood

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Isn't that Asian guy on Fedora Lounge or whatever?
I don't consider him a "real" man.

Yep, that's Rover from LL. Why isn't he a "real" man? Is he still a virgin?

Oh, and several AAAC members also joined the contest, no one got to the finals.

plotter

Reaction score
I think Lapo Elkann is excluded as he is not seen as an American and wouldn't enter such a arrogant-exuding contest. PG is by far a better dresser because of how extremely well-put his outfits are.

I think all of these men are pretty cocky in their "mission statements". And personally, the only one who really deserves is Raymond Chu for dressing so understated. Style is really about classic colors and wear clothes that make understatements. And to wear daring colors, wear designer labels like D&G who make oversized sweaters, poor quality e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g, to overdress means that the person lacks confidence because they seek the clothes to make a bigger statement than the person could.

Overall, no one should compete to be the best well-dressed, but really should desire to dress well because that's how a man should carry himself, and if he can do wearing greys, blacks, browns, (understatement colors), he doesn't need to compete, he wins by being so confident by being who he is, and doesn't need his clothes to do anything else for him.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For real? An H&M suit and satin tie which clashes with a garishly striped shirt makes someone the best-dressed man in America. Gimme a break!

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk
For real? An H&M suit and satin tie which clashes with a garishly striped shirt makes someone the best-dressed man in America. Gimme a break!

But he is the everyday American man. Non elitist clothing of course.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure you're being semi-sarcastic, but I shop at H&M but still know not to wear a navy-striped shirt with a light blue satin tie...

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk
Pretty sure you're being semi-sarcastic, but I shop at H&M but still know not to wear a navy-striped shirt with a light blue satin tie...
Yes. Semi. What I mean is that they can't pick all men who are married to bespoke and spend $$$$ on their clothes. Plenty can look great in H&M, thrift etc... But yes, satin tie with that shirt is blah.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
Yep, that's Rover from LL. Why isn't he a "real" man? Is he still a virgin?

Oh, and several AAAC members also joined the contest, no one got to the finals.

He dresses in costume and is affected by the internetz.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads