• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Americana Defined

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Incidentally, I wrote an "Americana" piano piece a few years ago. I need to add two more movements to it and clean up the first three.

http://www.myspace.com/craftybeing

Click on "Apple Blossom".

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
Incidentally, I wrote an "Americana" piano piece a few years ago. I need to add two more movements to it and clean up the first three.

http://www.myspace.com/craftybeing

Click on "Apple Blossom".

Sounds Awesome! What is your inspiration?

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
It's really a post hoc invention, but The Band is often identified as Americana.

The Band? The group made mostly of Canadians?

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Maharlika
Sounds Awesome! What is your inspiration?

They were literally based on melodies I found myself humming as I was walking. Like I said, I'm going to add two more movements- one quite developed- so the overall impression of will be more of a Classical piece rather than just some cutesy sketches.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't help but be struck by the stylistic similarity of Norman Rockwell and Art Frahm.

elevator.jpg

notime2.jpg

shakedown.jpg

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never seen those before. Seemed pretty racy for the 50's, perhaps not.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me, Americana is stuff that evokes a certain feeling, which is why not all American artists produce Americana, like John Cage or Jackson Pollock, because they don't evoke the quintessential American spirit. For Americana, I think of vast open spaces and the long journeys to go across them. I also think of classic American optimism and opportunity --- the chance to start over and make your own life from hard work --- and American eclecticism. These things are usually expressed with a simplicity and earnestness that may have very sophisticated things going on underneath, but appear simple and direct on the surface.

The inspiration may be prosaic, small-town American life, but the masters have always been able to take everyday material and elevate them to greatness.

+1 on Ives. The popular Copland pieces (Rodeo, Appalachian Spring, Billy the Kid) evoke these feelings. Barber's Knoxville: Summer of 1915 is like a sepia-tinged, nostalgic vision of these things. John Adams's Dharma at Big Sur is like the California version of these things. John Philip Sousa is another great example. Balanchine's Stars and Stripes ballet is a great example of an immigrant's take on Americana, like Swan Lake x America. I think a lot of his ballets are like tributes to an ideal vision of America.

Barber:
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

John Adams (music starts about 1 minute in):
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

--Andre

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HEWSINATOR
The Band? The group made mostly of Canadians?

Best Southern Rock band to ever come from Canada.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
The antithesis of Postmodernism.

Give Charles Ives a listen and get back to us on that.

America basically pushed the Western world into the Postmodern age, and so it's no accident that many things we identify as being characteristically American (which is what Americana is-- American in character) have a post-modern aspect to them.

A Y correctly identified the "eclecticism" of Americana. This part expresses it very well:

Originally Posted by A Y
For Americana, I think of vast open spaces and the long journeys to go across them. I also think of classic American optimism and opportunity --- the chance to start over and make your own life from hard work --- and American eclecticism.

As clichÃ
00a9.png
d as it is, it comes back to the frontier spirit, the optimism that comes from the sense that there's always something new to explore, and the sense of not being particularly weighted down by cultural memory (both a good and a bad thing.)

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik

Family farms
Farm Aid (Willie Nelson, John Mellencamp)
country music
wheat fields big enough to feed all of Africa

Substitute Kasey Chambers and Slim Dusty for Willie and JCM, and you are talking Australiana there!
teacha.gif

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
Originally Posted by A Y
For Americana, I think of vast open spaces and the long journeys to go across them. I also think of classic American optimism and opportunity --- the chance to start over and make your own life from hard work --- and American eclecticism.
As clichÃ
00a9.png
d as it is, it comes back to the frontier spirit, the optimism that comes from the sense that there's always something new to explore, and the sense of not being particularly weighted down by cultural memory (both a good and a bad thing.)

Part of this thread was hinting at the 1950s ideas of America, etc.

This part of this really made me think of Mad Men though, or at least Don Draper.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First time I've ever looked at that picture closely.

The gentleman standing is where a contrast-collar shirt with a striped body and self-cuffs
fing02[1].gif

I wonder what his screenname is?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads