• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

American Made Sneakers?

hnlax

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Z-Box
I think we've got what you are looking for... We opened a small webstore called Z-........ a few weeks ago and we only sell american made sneakers. Sneakers that are 15 up to 30 year old of age but still in great condition, most of them are actually what we call "deadstock", meaning: new in box. Our stock is very limited though as you may imagine and we don't have a lot of brands, well to tell you the truth we only have two which are Vans and Converse and about 10 different styles but the quality is really great, I mean you won't find any sneakers like that nowadays. However I have to admit that it's more of a vintage/collector-oriented boutique than anything else, these shoes having a lot of history related to the skateboard community, it's like old comic books or toys a lot of people are after them, I guess more for the sentimental/rarity aspect than the "made in the USA" tag. Anyway, I do believe that buying american or even european sneakers is actually a good thing, not just for economical reasons but because made in China shoes are just... crap.

don't think this is the solution he's looking for, as he wants shoes that are going to benefit an american worker today, not 20 years ago.

BOF

Reaction score
It becomes a problem when we're buying basically everything from overseas (as we are now). US manufacturing has just gotten smaller and smaller as we import more and more. With GM facing bankruptcy, who can say how long Buick will be around? Even if they are, will they keep manufacturing here? Are all the Buicks being purchased in China even manufacured here now?

BOF

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
So what do Americans want? Unfettered, free-market capitalism or "buy from USA companies!" :\\

It would be better to buy from US companies. The problem arises when there is free trade with countries like China who can produce things cheaply by paying people next to nothing. They produce a lot of cheap crap for Americans to buy, so Americans end up going to WalMart and buying it. What they don't realize is that doing so erodes the middle class, and increasingly as people buy their crap at WalMart, the only place that's left to work is WalMart where they get paid too little to even live off the crap at WalMart. This is obviously over-simplified, but is the gist of the idea.

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BOF
It would be better to buy from US companies. The problem arises when there is free trade with countries like China who can produce things cheaply by paying people next to nothing. They produce a lot of cheap crap for Americans to buy, so Americans end up going to WalMart and buying it. What they don't realize is that doing so erodes the middle class, and increasingly as people buy their crap at WalMart, the only place that's left to work is WalMart where they get paid too little to even live off the crap at WalMart. This is obviously over-simplified, but is the gist of the idea.

This doesn't make sense.

BOF

Reaction score
Ok... Let's try another way.

Populations continue to rise. Production continues to be done more efficiently. As population density rises, people have less room for products. As production becomes more efficient, it takes fewer people to produce what is needed.

When a country with lower population density engages in free trade with the denser country, the denser country suddenly has a new market to sell to, while not having room to buy the products of the less densely populated country. So, more goods are made in the densly populated country, taking manufacturing from the less densly populated country.

Therefore, the less densly populated country takes on the unemployment that should have been in the densely populated country, while getting cheap products in return. This is fine for a while, as some adaptation can happen, but it becomes a serious problem when there is free trade with many more densely populated countries (as the US has done increasingly since the 1970's or so). As a result, there have been economic explosions in countries like Japan and China, while the US GDP steadily declines on a per capita basis, making the US worker worse off over all.

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by navysuede
Sneakers???????????
eh.gif

www.rocket7.com makes in the USA

Alden made a nice white sport shoe for www.LeatherSoulhawaii.com
AE doesn't make sneakers, Atleast not yet.
The remaining factories would be Boot makers and most of them are Western Styled.
At one time the state of Maryland had two....Fila Sport and Bata in Belcamp MD
Hersey custom running shoes in Hershey Penn.
Good Luck

This is not true. Allen Edmonds has a few different sneakers. They are all pretty ugly though.

http://www.shoebuy.com/allen-edmonds...-_-none-_-none
http://www.onlineshoes.com/productpa...&ci_sku=163598
http://www.theshoemart.com/cgi-bin/c...ELL&rpro=71500

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jesus Christ, this is NOT what I wanted this thread to turn into!

Basically I was just hoping that perhaps there was one or two American shoe factories left that made a basic vans-style sneaker, and the answer seems to be no; therefore, let this thread die.

I'll just stick with my chinese made vans...kthnxbyeee, and when I need to purchase another dress boot I'll look to Alden.

Let's let this thread go away.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BOF

He wasn't asking for this type of advice. He wants American made.

navysuede

Reaction score
Originally Posted by onion
This is not true. Allen Edmonds has a few different sneakers. They are all pretty ugly though.

http://www.shoebuy.com/allen-edmonds...-_-none-_-none
http://www.onlineshoes.com/productpa...&ci_sku=163598
http://www.theshoemart.com/cgi-bin/c...ELL&rpro=71500

In America....Let me expand on this..AE does not make any sneakers in America. Port Washington
location makes most of the main line and the Handsewns are made in the factory that they own in Maine.They have a newer Italian made line with some different styles but no sneakers made the USA

Crazy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ctrlaltelite
where are seavees made?

SeaVees and Aprix (as seen on A Continuous Lean etc.) would be high up on my guess list of shoes possibly made in American, and they both make Vans style sneakers. Anybody up for investigating?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads