1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

American Gigolo

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Kent Wang, Jun 17, 2005.

1. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Considering the amount of interest and drama stirred up by my previous thread on "Wall Street," I thought I would start another thread about men's fashion in 1980s film, this time on the gritty thriller "American Gigolo." I was actually quite impressed with Julian Kaye's (Richard Geer) wardrobe. There is a montage sequence depicting his morning routine, exercising and dressing (a similar sequence exists in "American Psycho"), during which one is treated to a shot of his extensive and well organized wardrobe. I am particularly envious of his tie collection, all 2.5" wide -- albeit in rather plain patterns. The only article that Kaye wears that I object to is the windbreaker that he wears in the parking garage towards the end of the film. Of course, it was the 80s and I suppose he can be forgiven. If you haven't seen the film yet, I wouldn't exactly rush out to the video store. The dialogue and plot are rather weak, but the gritty cinematics and realistic portrayal of 1980s Los Angeles may make it a worthwhile rental. IMDb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080365/

2. PeterMetro

PeterMetro Senior Member

Giorgio Armani credits two things for popularizing his suits: Pat Riley and Richard Gere in this movie. As a result, either of them can walk into any Armani store in the world and walk out with whatever they want for free.

Nice life.

3. Horace

Horace Distinguished Member

Really? Do they have a special card -- or are all employees instructed to kick down Gere & Riley all the goods they want?

4. Michael66

Michael66 Active Member

I love the movie .... but the best part of R.Gere wardrobe was his Mercedes Cabrio [​IMG]

5. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Surely it would be the film's wardrobe coordinator (whatever the term is) that deserves credit for outfitting Gere in Armani and not Gere himself. If only a forum member like Mr. Kabbaz had worked on this film as well...

6. arvi

arvi Senior Member

actually best scene was when gere was laying out wardrobe on the bed as he was packing for a trip..i wouldn't be caught today dressing this wat(especially those thin -sole capezio dance shoes) but back in the day this stuff was great..

7. Caballero

Caballero Member

Gere had a great wardrobe and car, but don't forget that he shared the screen with the most important of all...Lauren Hutton. I'd say she's a great accessory.