• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

American Geniuses

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was wondering who you guys think are some of the greatest minds and talent that the United States has produced. This is a gray-area subject since there are so many immigrants that have called the U.S. home, so I would say that you can feel free to bring these people up for discussion.

Some geniuses that come to my mind are:

Edgar Allen Poe
Theodore Roosevelt
Thomas Jefferson
Sam Maloof

These individuals were born on American soil but there are others that lived here but immigrated, like Albert Einstein, who became an American citizen as an adult. I would still include him because some people you guys may bring up could have been born in the U.S. but spent a significant amount of their lives studying or working abroad.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Rockefeller
Jobs
Posner
John Marshall
Learned Hand
Hawking
Sagan

Last edited:

Lighthouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lighthouse

OTT

Last edited:

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I was wondering who you guys think are some of the greatest minds and talent that the United States has produced. This is a gray-area subject since there are so many immigrants that have called the U.S. home, so I would say that you can feel free to bring these people up for discussion.
Some geniuses that come to my mind are:
Edgar Allen Poe
Theodore Roosevelt
Thomas Jefferson
Sam Maloof
These individuals were born on American soil but there are others that lived here but immigrated, like Albert Einstein, who became an American citizen as an adult. I would still include him because some people you guys may bring up could have been born in the U.S. but spent a significant amount of their lives studying or working abroad.

Sam Maloof who makes the rocking chairs with exposed joinery? He's a marvelous craftsman but genius? I'd take Krenov over Maloof, but that's just my preference. Also, not sure Krenov's origin

How about:

T. Edison
B. Franklin
M. Anton
S. Clemens
R. Oppenheimer

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
what? steve jobs? no

richard feynmen..

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Born and lived most of their lives in America:

Michelson
Morley
Oppenheimer
Gibbs
Peirce

I thought Fritz London was American (because of the odd last name) but apparently he was born in Europe. Hrm.

The list of people that weren't born in America is huge, though.

Last edited:

Lighthouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We'll have to break this down a bit. Pure IQ points is not going to do it, because there are plenty of geniuses who you'll never hear about. So it has to include accomplishment, too. That being said, there are 10 American geniuses.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Paul Samuelson (who basically invented the modern practice of economics) and Milton Friedman

Edward Witten (physics, math)

E. T. Jaynes (stats)

Most of my picks would come from the arts, though...

Dickenson
Whitman
Melville
Wallace Stevens
Hart Crane
McCarthy
Pynchon
Andre Dubus (the first, not his hack grandson)

Louis Armstrong
Coltrane
Evans
...Iggy Pop, I could go on and on

Lighthouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Paul Samuelson (who basically invented the modern practice of economics) and Milton Friedman
Edward Witten (physics, math)
E. T. Jaynes (stats)
Most of my picks would come from the arts, though...
Dickenson
Whitman
Melville
Wallace Stevens
Hart Crane
McCarthy
Pynchon
Andre Dubus (the first, not his hack grandson)
Louis Armstrong
Coltrane
Evans
...Iggy Pop, I could go on and on

Good list.

Edison
Hemingway
Bernstein
Frost
John Marshall Harlan II

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't see the point of including anyone outside of mathematics and the sciences as a genius. Maybe some people like Shakespeare would qualify, but Thomas Pynchon? Robert Frost? I wouldn't even include them in a list of worthwhile writers let alone among people like Gibbs.

Good call on Witten. Weinberg should probably be up there with him too.

Last edited:

The Thin Man

Reaction score
Emerson. And why is wrong about Pynchon and Frost.

Lighthouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't see the point of including anyone outside of mathematics and the sciences as a genius. Maybe some people like Shakespeare would qualify, but Thomas Pynchon? Robert Frost? I wouldn't even include them in a list of worthwhile writers let alone among people like Gibbs.

The hard sciences have already been well represented in the thread. One could argue that any PhD in physics is a genius in terms of raw intellectual power. But I don't think listing Mensa or physics faculty was the purpose of OP; after all, Teddy Roosevelt was included in the list.

Your view of genius is far too narrow for purposes of this thread.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads