• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

American Express Gold/Platinum

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
He likes stealing from stores and believes that foot fungus is a good reason to return merchandise.

ALDEN HAS A WARRANTY W/R/T THEIR SHOES OK!!!!

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He likes stealing from stores and believes that foot fungus is a good reason to return merchandise.

What software did you use to decrypt?

KenN

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I don't understand a word of this. Warranty on shoes?
confused.gif

Companies like redwing offers warranty on their products; warranty on shoes is not uncommon.

The doubling of my CC's warranty extends to electronics, computers etc... It is very handy.

Pundit

Reaction score
Originally Posted by constant struggle
I received a promo in the mail for the VISA black card recently, I laughed when I saw the $495 annual fee.

I got the same thing, they implied that I was special and then asked for all kind of information that made it clear they knew nothing about me...

I recently talked to a car salesman about putting a new car on my credit card and was told that the amount would be limited because (at least in PA) there would not be a clear title holder (i.e., the cc company could claim wonership) or some such thing. Ended up doing a cash deal.

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black Card is one of my personal favorite things to talk about. My old boss had one, and I am facinated by them

oh and its called the centurion card

1. you cannot ask for a black card. they offer it to you. If you call amex they will not deny it exists
2. you have to be a HNW, and transact something like 250K a year on a card.
3. the annual fee is like 2500$
4. there supposedly is another card higher than black, but only for super HNW people, supposedly tiger woods has one.
5. you get all kinds of schizz from them including the 24/7 use of a personal concierge, which if you have ever used is like the ballingest thing ever. example - we were going to be in vegas for a couple of days, and my associate and I were going to be on our own for dinner one night. We wanted to get a table at TAO, and called to get a reservation on a sunday night. we got laughed off the phone, so we had our boss's PA call his conceirge, 2 minutes later it was 'do you want to be on the floor or in a booth'? I have personally witnessed my bosses PA use the card to get him a table at a sold out restraunt in AMSTERDAM while he was standing in the lobby by calling.

6. the visa black is small time. first rule of being exclusive is dont offer it to anyone. its going to be a bunch of 100K club kids.

7. Amex to me is the ultimate baller status. But remember Amex has two kinds of cards, charge cards, and credit cards. Charge cards generally have no limit, but you have to pay them in full each month. thats the old school AMEX. Credit cards from AMEX are just like any other credit card with a limit.

8. since AMEX is one of the most expensive cards to process (for a merchant), less and less are taking it, especially internationally, so its enterilely possible to need a V/MC as well as an AMEX

9. However, AMEX still sets the bar for personal service, with the warrantys, guarantees, etc... Lose your card, and you will have a new one waiting for you in an office. This happend to my GF in europe, her amex got eaten by an ATM in London, the next day she was able to pick up a new one in the office in France.

Agnacious

Reaction score
I use it mainly for the airport access. The points I sometimes use for gift certificates to restaurants for people I owe a gift.

I actually had a conversation with the plat people about 6 months ago. I was calling for something else and it lead into it. I told her the extras weren't near what they used to be and if it wasn't for airport access I would drop it.

I am pretty sure they dropped the 2 for 1 ticket deal. The concorde is gone. I used to get invitations to restaurant openings and other such things. no more.

The last few times I used the travel service for a hotel, the same room was available on the hotels own web site for considerably less, and what happened to my fruit baskets. A couple of times I was left standing at a hotel counter with no record of a reservation, I don't trust them enough anymore.

They have an events thing (gold also) which is great, I told her, if you live in NY otherwise it is of limited usefulness.

They also have a 24/7 concierge, which I have never used, and you can call to get a table at a "full" restaurant which I have used. But I wouldn't keep it for that.

Basically I find the hoopla about cards overblown. If it gives you something you want get it. Like I said in my case the airline clubs. (oh and I aso like the itemized list of expenses at the end of the year, helps with taxes).

And you can most certainly ask for the black card, it is not a secret, and they will give you one if you meet the requirements.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
not true anymore. they have cut many people down and they are doing so not by personal behavior but by spedning/financial habits in the cardholders area code.

There is no limit on any Amex. They will let you buy anything as long as you have shown an ability to pay.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jgold47
Black Card is one of my personal favorite things to talk about. My old boss had one, and I am facinated by them

1. you cannot ask for a black card. they offer it to you. If you call amex they will not deny it exists
4. there supposedly is another card higher than black, but only for super HNW people, supposedly tiger woods has one.
5. you get all kinds of schizz from them including the 24/7 use of a personal concierge, which if you have ever used is like the ballingest thing ever. example - we were going to be in vegas for a couple of days, and my associate and I were going to be on our own for dinner one night. We wanted to get a table at TAO, and called to get a reservation on a sunday night. we got laughed off the phone, so we had our boss's PA call his conceirge, 2 minutes later it was 'do you want to be on the floor or in a booth'? I have personally witnessed my bosses PA use the card to get him a table at a sold out restraunt in AMSTERDAM while he was standing in the lobby by calling.

6. the visa black is small time. first rule of being exclusive is dont offer it to anyone. its going to be a bunch of 100K club kids.

7. Amex to me is the ultimate baller status. But remember Amex has two kinds of cards, charge cards, and credit cards. Charge cards generally have no limit, but you have to pay them in full each month. thats the old school AMEX. Credit cards from AMEX are just like any other credit card with a limit.

8. since AMEX is one of the most expensive cards to process (for a merchant), less and less are taking it, especially internationally, so its enterilely possible to need a V/MC as well as an AMEX

9. However, AMEX still sets the bar for personal service, with the warrantys, guarantees, etc... Lose your card, and you will have a new one waiting for you in an office. This happend to my GF in europe, her amex got eaten by an ATM in London, the next day she was able to pick up a new one in the office in France.

You get 24/7 concierge with the platinum also, although they arguably won't work as hard for you.

Invicta

Reaction score

I read somewhere that they're switching from black cards to actual titanium cards, I believe the reasoning behind it was that it would have "thump" factor when you throw it down on a table or something.

On the original topic I have a Gold as a Corperate Card, but for personal use prefer the Blue cash back card.

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
I have the gold. I love it.

I am thinking about getting the gold. I need a card with some decent rewards. Anything in particular that you like about the card? I feel like we talked about this, but I don't remember anymore...

whusurdadi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was offered the black - it's a $5,000 initiation fee and a $2,500 yearly fee.
It's $250k a year minimum.
I swiped my card so much that the magnetic strip was having issues, so I called AMEX and they overnighted a brand new card to my office - at no charge, of course.
They have been pulling in the ropes on a lot of their "unlimited cards" - they just dropped mine from unlimited to $34,200 - for no apparent reason - I spend $30k a month (for business) and pay it in full the day after the month ends...I called and they told me that they're starting to "limit their liabilities" - I told her that I wanted to buy a Bentley so I NEEDED the unlimited-ness
smile.gif

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use my plat card for all sorts of things.
Mainly the lounge access as I travel very often for work.
Also, the concierge services are very helpful in a bind, like getting a table in a booked eatery or sending flowers.
I expense the fee to my work so I have no issue with that.
However, the raised the cost to be a "member", which on pricipal pisses me off. The letter that came telling me this was so stupid, from the CEO saying how they have to raise the cost in order to provide such exceptional service.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
If you threaten to cancel every couple of years, they will not waive the fee, but they will give you credit. They will never waive the fee, to my knowledge. Is the $450 worth it for Plat? I would say that one week long trip to a tony destination will cover it. Free upgrades, usually free breakfast in your room, and individual perks per property.

In the last year, how many times do you figure the Black Card has been discussed here?

Taxler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
If you threaten to cancel every couple of years, they will not waive the fee, but they will give you credit. They will never waive the fee, to my knowledge. Is the $450 worth it for Plat? I would say that one week long trip to a tony destination will cover it. Free upgrades, usually free breakfast in your room, and individual perks per property.

In the last year, how many times do you figure the Black Card has been discussed here?

I didn't ask for or threaten anything, but I've had them not bill the annual fee for my Planinum card twice in the last 5 years. This year they did. Maybe they forgot the other times.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads