Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

American Express Credit Card?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by jakeyt, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

The level of protection (e.g. maximum $ per incident, or max annual claims) differs from card to card. As well as the ease of accessing them. For instance, i can initiate claims myself on amex's website. For other cards, I will need to do it by phone, which is a more hasslesome process

2. otc

otc Senior member

I think amex benefits on the whole from consistency. They are the processor but they are also the issuer so you always work with them no matter what amex you have.

Visa or MC just handle the processing and you end up having to go through an issuing bank (or someone like capital one) so you get stuck with whatever website they build around the CC interface and your phone service seems to be run by them. This also means that the available perks vary widely across cards--it is worth it to request some sort of summary of benefits since you can't really know what you are getting on a visa/MC

There is a scan of a list for a certain citi card here: http://www.iwillteachyoutoberich.com/blog/credit-card-perks-you-didnt-know-about-part-2/

3. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Amex has always been my go-to card. They provide great customer service.

4. blackstone

blackstone Well-Known Member

unfortuantely not every accepts amex but where it is accepted, i awlays use it.
    i have had the rewards card in the past and recently switched to the BA card. after having it for only 6 months, i already have 2 free flights from uk to brasil, so i cant fault the rewards.

likewise, customer service has always been A1 but recently their marketing side is a pain in the arse. they will not take no for an answer. so i change the default number from my brasil phone to uk phone, problem solved.

5. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Senior member

The only place I have had issues is in china town or mall kiosks (where cash is the better way to go anyway). Interestingly, I used the card everywhere in London and was never forced to use my backup Visa once. Also I've called them once or twice to let them know I'm travelling or going to be making a very large purchase, and the response both times was thanks for thinking of us but please note that you do not need to call for those circumstances. So the card is completely headache free.

I just remembered that I got a handrwitten thank you note from the gentleman that activated the card when I first received it. Not that I would care about that, but it was a nice gesture in any event.

6. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

This is our experience as well. Meanwhile- our VISA was a PITA in London DESPITE us calling in advance to say we'd be using it there.

7. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

MEX=:slayer:

8. blackstone

i find that shops are far more accepting of amex than online

9. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Senior member

Interesting. I can't recall ever making an online purchase where Amex was not accepted.

10. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Despite appearances, this is not an extremely luxurious vibrator, it's a kaleidoscope from AMEX

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011

11. rollafan

rollafan Senior member

^ Do you have US Centurion? Because I know people who have US Cent. sometimes get gift cards..

12. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

no. They give away different stuff. Sometimes they give away 3-series, sometimes they give you marble dildos, it is eccentric.

13. blackstone

recently i couldnt use my BA amex to upgrade my BA flight. whats that about!

14. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

thats a function of the issuing bank (e.g. chase, citi, etc), not of the card

ime, from living near london, and this past month's holiday to turkey and greece, visa is overwhelmingly more accepted than amex. true everywhere in america, and the 30+ countries around the world ive visited

15. rollafan

rollafan Senior member

^ That is because the merchant rate for Amex is higher than Visa & MC. If I remember correctly, DOJ sued Amex for this. Although I often wonder myself if Visa & MC do charge different for their Visa Signature / World Elite MC