• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

American Express Appreciation Thread

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I <3 Amex. I <3 everything about it. From the weeks and weeks of free nights and flights I have amassed with my SPG Platinum Card, to the absolutely brilliant Purchase Protection and Double Warranty programs, Amex comes through for the consumer with no hassle and no sneaky loopholes to screw their clients. I don't even know how it is possible for them to have such awesome service and benefits, but it is truly incredible in this day and age of crap customer service and the general death of brand differentiation.

Thanks Amex. I <3 you more each and every day. <3 <3.
inlove.gif
inlove.gif
inlove.gif

TylerDurden

Reaction score
American Express sucks, they have one of the highest interest rates of any credit card out there, allot place's don't take their card, and when ever I called I always got someone who didn't speak english.

I think i like Visa better.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Amex has the most hassle free dispute policy, but the fact that I get called from India is really off-putting.Thinking about switching to a Southwest Airlines Visa. The rewards points on my blue card keep getting less and less too.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TylerDurden
American Express sucks, they have one of the highest interest rates of any credit card out there, allot place's don't take their card, and when ever I called I always got someone who didn't speak english.

Amex is not a good card for people who plan on carrying a balance. Interest rates do not matter when you pay off in full every month. I always do, so Amex works for me.

The fact that some places do not take their cards is too bad, but that's why you carry two cards. Always buy with an Amex for the purchase protection when possible.

Originally Posted by tiecollector
Amex has the most hassle free dispute policy, but the fact that I get called from India is really off-putting.Thinking about switching to a Southwest Airlines Visa. The rewards points on my blue card keep getting less and less too.

What do you mean get called from India. I have never gotten an unsolicited call from India from Amex...or from anywhere for that matter. Blue kind of sucks, imo.

While the rest of you drunk dial old flames and skanks, I drunk dial Amex Customer Service and profess my love...
inlove.gif
inlove.gif
inlove.gif

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The only cards I carry are AmEx and USAA MC. Lately I've been leaving the MC at home.

flashback

Reaction score
This seems like a stealthy way to brag. I do love Amex though.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TylerDurden

Interest rates are irrelevant when you use their charge cards.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by flashback
This seems like a stealthy way to brag. I do love Amex though.

Not bragging. But I just realized what a huge relief it is to be able to buy a new SLR before my trip to Asia and not have to be freaking out the whole time about it getting stolen as it's covered. That's peace of mind, and it's priceless (or at least the price of an SLR).

jbmarine

Reaction score
I like mine though don't use it too often as I'd rather just pay in cash.

But yeah, as long as you always pay in full, it's a great card to have.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles

What do you mean get called from India. I have never gotten an unsolicited call from India from Amex...or from anywhere for that matter. Blue kind of sucks, imo.

No, never unsolicited. Yesterday I got called for a possible fraudulent charge and I couldn't understand the lady on the other end. Every time I call customer service I get a call center in India with a faint beeping in the background, like they are using some cheesy VOIP program. None of my other cards have ever sent me to India.

I like the blue card rewards, I might get the green one soon, but can't bring myself to pay an annual fee for a credit card unless the benefits are really something that I could profit from a couple times a year.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
No, never unsolicited. Yesterday I got called for a possible fraudulent charge and I couldn't understand the lady on the other end. Every time I call customer service I get a call center in India with a faint beeping in the background, like they are using some cheesy VOIP program. None of my other cards have ever sent me to India.

I like the blue card rewards, I might get the green one soon, but can't bring myself to pay an annual fee for a credit card unless the benefits are really something that I could profit from a couple times a year.

The trick with some of the fee cards is to call before the fee is assessed and say "You know I like this card, but I just can't justify the fee. I'd like to cancel."

Then they will waive the fee, at least sometimes. It's worth a shot.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
+1 &lt;3 my Amex Platinum. Mucho comps and a nice upgrade at The Venetian last year by using it. Amex Plat and Centurion/Black are the only CC's with any cachet left. &lt;3 the special events and concert seating available with the concierge services.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I love Amex. Their rewards program is by far the best.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the Costco Plat Amex and it's fine but I use the MBNA MC more because it's the one offering SPG points here, not amex.

SPG, now there is the best damn loyalty program ever! My wife had platinum status when she worked as a mgmt consultant and the upgrades are awesome. We've stayed at the St. Regis, the best suite in the Essex House (when it was Westin) and tons of other great places. Even with gold status, I get excellent rewards and upgrades and almost never pay for hotels anymore.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads