• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

American Express Appreciation Thread

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FIHTies
No AMEX appreciation thread is complete without the Classic exchange between Kalra and Jon

Way too long to read - what's the gist of it?
smile.gif

marin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by briancl
I also suggest against using a debit card for anything other than withdrawing money out of the ATM. Compared to credit transactions, the recourse on a problematic debit transaction is much more difficult and in many cases impossible. Also, if someone compromises your debit card and steals money off the account, they have stolen cash. If someone compromises your credit card, they have stolen credit. Getting a merchant/bank to return actual cash is a lot more difficult than just wiping away a fraudulent credit charge.

Good advice on using credit over debit cards. If your debit card is compromised, even if you eventually get your cash back, you usually won't have access to it until the investigation is complete, which may take several days. Also, rewards on credit cards are much better than rewards on debit cards

Taxler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JesseJB
I have my AmEx through Bank of America. Im neutral about because you can't access your account through Bank of America's website and it isn't recognized through AmEx's website because its a Bank of America card. Trying to find your card's benefits is another impossible feat. I've charged thousands on that thing and have never gotten any rewards...

Its almost as bad as my $35 per year US Airways BoA debit card that Ive been using for 2 years that still has a miles balance of "zero."

I have a BOA Amex, and I can access it via the BOA website.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm I'd never really considered an Amex before. I think I'll look into it.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am renovating a house and I can't use my Amex hardly anywhere. It is really annoying. All these places take Discover now too, just not Amex. Amex has the highest limit of all my cards so I've maxed out all my ones with low limits that I never use. grrr.

I just got back from H&M and they don't take Amex either. Weird.

Anyone know about their travel protection for medical and all that? I keep forgetting to cancel but for $9.50/month that you can cancel and re-enlist at will, it seems pretty good.

mintyfresh

Reaction score
I am a huge fan of AMEX myself. I used to run my own business and all purchases went through the card. Points for anything abound.

For those traveling, I would recommend the Capital One traveler's card - no currency exchange fees!

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Taxler
I have a BOA Amex, and I can access it via the BOA website.

Have you earned any perks with it at all? How do you earn/access/redeem them?

Lucky7

Reaction score
Love my AMEX, especially business card. Put nearly every purchase on it, and rack up those points.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
double post

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had to pay 90 a year to use my Amex card. Vendors have to pay extra to take the card. No thanks. Sticking with Visa.

IMO the main reason people use Amex is as some sort of stupid status symbol.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
IMO the main reason people use Amex is as some sort of stupid status symbol.

Could not be farther from the truth.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Maybe not in your case, but in most cases I'd say yes.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
Maybe not in your case, but in most cases I'd say yes.

But why? The only time you could ever even show it off is during a dinner with people. 90% of my purchases come from the privacy of online shopping or in retail stores/hotels, where nobody will be impressed. I understand an Amex Black being a status symbol, but certainly not just a regular Amex card! I mean anyone can get one.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah. Anyone can get one, and everyone seems proud because they get a gold Amex card in the mail. *shrug. I see a lot of rich ass poodle carrying women pay for **** with a black amex with a man's name on it lol. Apparently possessing an Amex Black entitles you to treat people in retail horribly and refer to them as "****" and "african boy" when you command them to do your shopping for you while you go to Starbucks and get coffee.
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
But why? The only time you could ever even show it off is during a dinner with people. 90% of my purchases come from the privacy of online shopping or in retail stores/hotels, where nobody will be impressed. I understand an Amex Black being a status symbol, but certainly not just a regular Amex card! I mean anyone can get one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads