• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

American Crew Product Question

Hey Man

Reaction score
I have just discovered American Crew and I love what I have used so far - including the Classic Fragrance. I wanted to ask a styling question and what would be the best product or products to use. I prefer to style my hair after I towel dry and I don't really blow dry, so it is damp.

What I am looking for is the best product that dries quickly and naturally (not too sticky or crusty). But that gives texture, hair seperation (not clumpy when dried) and body.

Lastly, I generally put my hands through my hair during the day - so the product also needs to hold up and maintain my style even if brushed through.

I would greatly appreciate if you could please recommend a product or products out of the following and also let me know the amount I should use when styling in the morning or when restyling during the day.

Light/Firm Hold Gel
Fibre
Pomade
Grooming Cream
Pomade
Grooming Spray

I have attached a photo of what my hair sort of looks like style wise, so if you can give me a step by step process of how to style using the products you recommend - that would be fantastic.

Thank you very much.

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/T...ig/photo32.jpg

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I would say the American Crew Texture Cream is the best product for the look and elements you are seeking.

The Texture Cream lets you style your hair but, unlike the American Crew Firm Hold Gel, it does not leave your hair hard or brittle. In fact, it allows you to run your fingers through your hair during the day while still maintaining its hold.

I have used both the Pomade and Fibre as well, but find they only work well when my hair is quite short.

Like you, I also put the product in my hair after towel drying. I just squeeze out a small dollop of the Texture Cream, rub it between my hands, rub it through my hair (from back to front) and then either brush or use my fingers to style my hair how I like.

Hey Man

Reaction score
Bradford,

Thanks for responding. So is your hair slightly past your ears or a little longer like mine? I am asking because you said the Pomade and Fibre only works when you hair is quite short.

I am presently using the American Crew firm gel and it's good when styling - but takes too long to dry and when I do my hand through it later in the day, it goes flat. Would I ever reapply the Texture Cream later in the day?

My hair is pretty much exactly like the Andy Garcia picture in the link of my original post. Will the Texture Cream provide that much fullness without blow drying? Is it OK to use a comb or should I use a brush?

I usually comb my damp hair back as if I was slicking my hair back and then part my hair in the middle and comb both sides of my part down ala the Andy Garcia pic. Is there a better way to achieve this look when using the Texture Cream?

Lastly, just curious why back to front (as opposed to front to back) when applying the Texture Cream? Should I be applying all products this way?

Thanks.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
My hair doesn't go past my ears, but is longer on top.

The pomade/fiber have only really worked well for me when I get it cut really short and spikey on top. I think it's because they are so sticky that it's hard to get them to run through your hair. You can twist or twirl individual strands with the pomade or fiber, but you can't just run it through your hair.

I would say that, yes, the texture cream will give you that much body without blowdrying. I don't know about comb vs. brush - I would just experiment with it.

With the texture cream, I would comb or brush the way you have been doing, apply the product and then just use your fingers to finish styling.

Finally, the back-to-front thing is what they always say on the show Queer Eye. My understanding is that doing it this way gives some lift and body to your hair, by putting the product on both the underside and top of the hair. If you just go from front to back, the product just goes on top of your hair and it tends to weigh it down and look flat and slicked-back.

Hope that helps.

Hey Man

Reaction score
Bradford,

Thanks a lot. Does the Texture Cream dry pretty quickly? How much is a dollop? Will it hold all day (not go flat) - even if I brush out ?

You mentioned brushing or combing my hair and then apply the product - so I shouldn't towel dry, apply the product and then brush/comb? As you may know - when your hair is damp, it flops around and it's hard to make it stay into place because of it being a little wet stilll - so I just wanted to make sure that I add the product first.

Thanks

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hey Man
Bradford,

Thanks a lot. Does the Texture Cream dry pretty quickly? How much is a dollop? Will it hold all day (not go flat) - even if I brush out ?

You mentioned brushing or combing my hair and then apply the product - so I shouldn't towel dry, apply the product and then brush/comb? As you may know - when your hair is damp, it flops around and it's hard to make it stay into place because of it being a little wet stilll - so I just wanted to make sure that I add the product first.

Thanks

Dollop is enough to get some through all of your hair. It's hard to be more specific. Probably the amount somewhere between the size of a nickel and a quarter.

Actually, you probably should towel dry first, brush, apply product and then do the final styling with your fingers.

I just find that if I apply the product and then comb or brush through, it tends to get too much of that slicked back look.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads