• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

American Crew Matte? What's a better product?

p.o.t.u.s

Reaction score
I've been using American Crew Matte (the orange label) hair product for a good while. I'm moderately pleased with the results, but am interested in knowing if you all have any recommendations on a better product.

Ideally, I want something with moderate hold, that is not greasy and does not make it look like my hair is loaded with product i.e., not crunchy, overly sticky, etc.

Any thoughts?

I have fairly short hair styled in a traditional "ivy league" cut with a side part.

Fat-Elvis

Reaction score
I"m kinda looking for something similar. I've been using American Crew Forming creme which I think is somewhat similar, but I want something that leaves less stiffness.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I use American Crew Texture Creme.

It has good hold and is soft, not stiff, crunchy or sticky.

mikej77

Reaction score
I recently started using the Aveda Grooming Clay. I love this stuff, it has a matte finish, provides good hold and is not heavy at all. Might be worth a try.

lpresq

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mikej77
I recently started using the Aveda Grooming Clay. I love this stuff, it has a matte finish, provides good hold and is not heavy at all. Might be worth a try.

Exactly what I was going to recommend....smells great too.

Fat-Elvis

Reaction score
Is it 'light'? The two products I've been using are AC Forming Creme and AC Texture Cream. I want something with a hold that's inbetween those, and little to no shine.

mikej77

Reaction score
Well, it's more of a clay, not a cream. You do not need to use much and it does have a light feel.

wqvong

Reaction score
What about KERASTASE products? I see that they are pretty expensive but has anyone ever have any experiences with them?

pritesh

Reaction score
lock stock and barrel make pretty nice stuff, not sure if its available in the u.s. though

Spencer Young

Reaction score
LSB is available in America. I've been using Ruck by them... I like it more than my American Crew matte, but it might just be personal preference. Worth checking out, though.

tjcam

Reaction score
A great product I recently discovered is Skinn Hair Wax. It's from Australia and created by a dermatologist. It's a bit pricey but it's been the best product I've used in years.

sydneycentric

Reaction score
I use the American Crew Tea Tree defining paste which is very good. It doesn't give your hair the wet look that gel and some wax will give but it still holds well.

ChicagoJohn

Reaction score
Jonathan Dirt is hands-down the best product I've ever used. I spent years with Crew products, then moved on and tried a handful of others. Nothing smells as good, has the soft consistency, and non-greasy look of Dirt.

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use the Gatsby Moving Rubber off ebay (from Hong Kong) and love it. I have the gray one (grunge mat) but also dig the er, pink one. I was using American Crew/Tea Tree and the many others before and there is really no comparison.

amnesiac

Reaction score
I'm biased because I go back to dallas to get my hair cut at a salon that's partnered with TIGI, but I've been using Bedhead Manipulator and more recently, Hard To Get.

Manipulator is more of a goopy deal, smell's like coconut, and works better when my hair's shorter, but it holds like a mother and it's pretty versatile as far as application like wet hair/dry hair or blow drying it, etc. Hard to Get, which i just recently picked up is more like a pastey waxy texture but its amazingly light and airy and looks just like my hair dried like this even though we all know my shortish straight black asian hair DOES NOT dry like that. Oh, Hard to Get smells delicious and fruity too...
tongue.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads