1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

American Concept Cars – Part Two

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Full Canvas, Oct 15, 2006.

1. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

If I had to pick my least favorite Zagato coupe and my least favorite Lancia it would probably be this one.
    Maybe you jest?

I really like it; Lancia has always been rather odd.

[​IMG]

2. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Aston Martin DB4 GT by Zagato: [​IMG] Zagato's vintage era designs all have a common aesthetic approach as per the Lancia Fulvia Zagato: [​IMG]

3. Lamo

Lamo Senior member

I had never heard of an Infiniti FX45 until now. It sounds like it should be a tacky puppet based Japanese sci-fi series from the 80s, and looks like a crime against humanity:

[​IMG]

I am equally staggered by most of the rest of your choices, but if you regularly partake in consumer research studies I at least now see why modern cars tend to look so shit.

i'm afraid chrysalid's right. the fx45 might be one of the tackiest cars out there and that list is...

4. Lamo

Lamo Senior member

"The Vantage seems simply a modern interpretation of the old DB4."

and i can't see what's wrong with that.

"Personally, what gripes me are the mostly homogenous jellybean shapes of the cars. Also, the interiors are usually very similar looking, despite proclamations of luxury and "progress". Indeed, Lexus has a self parallel parking feature for their LS saloons. And it has something like an 8-speed automatic; what Lexus customer is going to use an 8-speed automatic? They are probably mostly Asian housewives and prosperous accountants."

then again, lexus isn't the paragon of style. japanese cars don't have much going for them in terms of looks. On second thought, I can agree with you that the majority of cars are, well, ugly. and bland, which is actually a saving grace. doesn't assault the eyes. unlike this monstrosity

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Senior member

"The Vantage seems simply a modern interpretation of the old DB4."

and i can't see what's wrong with that.

"Personally, what gripes me are the mostly homogenous jellybean shapes of the cars. Also, the interiors are usually very similar looking, despite proclamations of luxury and "progress". Indeed, Lexus has a self parallel parking feature for their LS saloons. And it has something like an 8-speed automatic; what Lexus customer is going to use an 8-speed automatic? They are probably mostly Asian housewives and prosperous accountants."

then again, lexus isn't the paragon of style. japanese cars don't have much going for them in terms of looks. On second thought, I can agree with you that the majority of cars are, well, ugly. and bland, which is actually a saving grace. doesn't assault the eyes. unlike this monstrosity

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can certainly appreciate this design. Bravo to Chevy.
    I think one has to have an open mind to new and sometimes radical forms, rather than expect cars to look like they use to in 30s and 50s.

6. caelte

caelte Senior member Dubiously Honored

out on the docks behind the Blue Parrot Cafe
    I can certainly appreciate this design. Bravo to Chevy.
    I think one has to have an open mind to new and sometimes radical forms, rather than expect cars to look like they use to in 30s and 50s.

I love new design.
    This one needs to be painted orange at this time of the year.

7. Full Canvas

Full Canvas Senior member

Aston Martin DB4 GT by Zagato:

[​IMG]

The DB-4 GT is indeed a lovely automobile. However, Denis Jenkinson aptly noted in Motor Sport that Zagato filched the rear fender's leading edge lines right out of the Ghia play book. He is absolutely correct.

Here is another iteration of the Zagato DB4 GT. It is not quite as lithe as the example you posted. This one appears decidedly to share some traits with a few of the (Ferrari) 275 GTB2/4 SWB styling exercises.

[​IMG]

8. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

then again, lexus isn't the paragon of style. japanese cars don't have much going for them in terms of looks. On second thought, I can agree with you that the majority of cars are, well, ugly. and bland, which is actually a saving grace. doesn't assault the eyes. unlike this monstrosity [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Horrible. Another very innovative styling work was the Fiat 500. It's also quite charming: [​IMG]

9. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

i'm afraid chrysalid's right. the fx45 might be one of the tackiest cars out there and that list is...
    That awful '70s colorway doesn't help either. It looks like it belongs on some sun-burnt old Chrysler with a pile of black smoke coming out of the rear.

10. caelte

caelte Senior member Dubiously Honored

out on the docks behind the Blue Parrot Cafe

Here is another iteration of the Zagato DB4 GT. It is not quite as lithe as the example you posted. This one appears decidedly to share some traits with a few of the (Ferrari) 275 GTB2/4 SWB styling exercises.

[IMG]http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i61/FullCanvas/DB4GTZagato-1.jpg

Interesting how, by adding fatter tires, some chrome and a scoop, the car could be changed in character .